Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 09:36 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
A lot of what they believed doesn't fit in with physics, such as the world being flat. Proof requires NASA revealing the conspiracies we know are wrong, and that both the Sun and Moon are chariots.
It wasn't the followers of the Greek and Roman gods who thought the world was being flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 08:00 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I doubt it.

But they captivated me as a kid. By the time I was 13 I read every book our city's library had on Greek, Roman and Norse mythology.
Me, too.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:09 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Me, too.
Me, three. I especially loved the Greek mythology and saw the Romans as copycats, but then in 7th grade our music teacher had us listen to The Ring of the Nibelung, and told us the story along with having us listen to the music, and I learned about Norse mythology. I loved that year.

It's also the only opera about which I ever get the answers on Jeopardy.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Me, three. I especially loved the Greek mythology and saw the Romans as copycats, but then in 7th grade our music teacher had us listen to The Ring of the Nibelung, and told us the story along with having us listen to the music, and I learned about Norse mythology. I loved that year.

It's also the only opera about which I ever get the answers on Jeopardy.
Totally!

I don't know if you can find it any more, but there was a famous comedienne from Australia, Anna Russell, who did a parody of The Ring on one of her albums and it was laugh till you cry hilarious.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Totally!

I don't know if you can find it any more, but there was a famous comedienne from Australia, Anna Russell, who did a parody of The Ring on one of her albums and it was laugh till you cry hilarious.
That sounds funny!

Old 02-20-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That sounds funny!
I have the LP, but there's a poor quality video on you tube, which doesn't matter since you only need to listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiFLj5RK6yQ

Old 02-20-2021, 10:32 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
I doubt it.

But they captivated me as a kid. By the time I was 13 I read every book our city's library had on Greek, Roman and Norse mythology.
When he had time, my Father would read to us from the Illiad, it was like a one man play. Sometimes he would use funny voices (Zeus ending every sentence with a duck's Quak). 30 years after he died, I still find it impossible to read it* in case I lose something.

As to evidence, that could be a problem as my ancestors had flexible ideas about the gods. Homer for example defined his version of the gods to suit his literary agenda, Platon had different ideas about them (and may have also believed in an ultimate transcendent being), and different city states had different versions of the gods.

This flexibility and lack of dogma may have played a major role in allowing a collection of city states to develop the ideas that are important to us today (when they were not trying to kill each other).

* his copy sits on a shelf in my office with an Autobus ticket as a book marker.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:54 PM

1,799 posts, read 561,692 times
Quote:
I doubt it.

Norse yeah. I enjoyed reading on the Norse gods. Greek and Roman not so much. Maybe because I got tired in school of keeping the twin gods for each culture separate. Was it Zeus, or Jupiter? Poseidon or Neptune? Bah!

Seems like there is a revival of the Norse gods going on.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Norse yeah. I enjoyed reading on the Norse gods. Greek and Roman not so much. Maybe because I got tired in school of keeping the twin gods for each culture separate. Was it Zeus, or Jupiter? Poseidon or Neptune? Bah!

Probably because of the Thor movies. With my glasses off and in candlelight, my significant other looks just like Chris Hemsworth as Thor.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post

Yep. Blame Thor.

(And the Avengers. And Marvel Comics. And Stan Lee...)

The Norse were my favourites as well. Their stories were darker, more dramatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism