Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 08:58 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
and

Well, you both are entitled to your opinions. But the HP books are very wicked and not some "fun" stories or a game. They are a scourge on society.
You are joking right? You actually believe this to be real? What harm has it done to society? other than tons of Harry Potters on Halloween!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:03 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
I don't see how the popularity of the books, or the number of people who have them hold at the library has anything to do with its substance. Plenty of people are interested no doubt. Witchcraft and magic has been of intrigue to people for hundreds of years. . . Does this make it OK?

Old 04-15-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I don't see how the popularity of the books, or the number of people who have them hold at the library has anything to do with its substance. Plenty of people are interested no doubt. Witchcraft and magic has been of intrigue to people for hundreds of years. . . Does this make it OK?
Again what has a fictious book about a wizard boy done to damage society, other than calling out people with no imagination?

Old 04-15-2007, 09:07 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
You are joking right? You actually believe this to be real? What harm has it done to society? other than tons of Harry Potters on Halloween!
Nea1, it's clear that the author has, and is, making huge amounts of money off magic, spells, lies, and other such trash. Look at the children lining up for her insane books. In the spiritual and psychological realm of a child these tomes are very damaging. All one has to do is look around and you can see it already. Pretty sad if you ask me, but hey you're free to do as you wish.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:13 AM

If you believe in the Bible, it is clear in the warning to stay away from all magic and withcraft.

Harmless and fiction? Sometimes evil can be disguised as harmless. . . if it was blatently evil there would be no debate, people would keep their children away. I would error on the side of keeping my childrens minds away from any questionable material. There are so many other choices for reading material.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Nea1, it's clear that the author has, and is, making huge amounts of money off magic, spells, lies, and other such trash. Look at the children lining up for her insane books. In the spiritual and psychological realm of a child these tomes are very damaging. All one has to do is look around and you can see it already. Pretty sad if you ask me, but hey you're free to do as you wish.
Again what has it done to damage the child other than awaking their imagination, which to some I guess is a bad thing. Please give examples.I would hope adults would realize it is just a book, but some are living in a fantasy world if they really believe it and cant tell the difference.

And it is Fiction,so I guess you dont read much fiction, since it is all lies. Whats wrong with making money?

Old 04-15-2007, 09:16 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Does it make it wrong?

Quote:

Old 04-15-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
If you believe in the Bible, it is clear in the warning to stay away from all magic and withcraft.

Harmless and fiction? Sometimes evil can be disguised as harmless. . . if it was blatently evil there would be no debate, people would keep their children away. I would error on the side of keeping my childrens minds away from any questionable material. There are so many other choices for reading material.
Well I am begining to think my kids and I are better off not believing to much into the bible. If people cannot tell the difference between fact and fiction.I grew up on Bewitched reruns and I Dream of Jeanie, I dont think I turned out evil!!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:19 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
And don't forget about Grimms' Fairy Tales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Well I am begining to think my kids and I are better off not believing to much into the bible. If people cannot tell the difference between fact and fiction.I grew up on Bewitched reruns and I Dream of Jeanie, I dont think I turned out evil!!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Does it make it wrong?
Wrong? If you believe in the Bible and the Bible warns Christians away from withcraft and magic then I would say it is wrong.

I would error on the side of what is best for my child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism