Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:50 PM

656 posts, read 1,990,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I don't know what to do. My son was so easy to potty train. My daughter is 2 yrs and 6 months and still not. She only goes if I put her on the potty. She does not realize the urge to go and aks to be put on the potty by herself. If I forget to put her on she will peee in her potty and tell me after she has peed. How can i get her to realize that she has to go before going in her diaper? At this rate I'm scared I won't be able to send her to kindergarten.
One child (boy) trained at almost 3 years old and the other still has accidents during the night at 6 years old (boy too!). I finally realized a few years ago that this will eventually happen but I need to relax and remind myself that it will happen in THEIR time. I often put my own measure of how good of a parent I am to my ability to potty train my boys. I realized quite a bit ago that their ability to potty train at a certain age was not based on good parenting skills but rather on when they were ready both physically and mentally.

Once I removed the calendar and the "should's" I've been a much better parent!

Last edited by kwalk65; 06-09-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,243 times
I could not disagree more with all of the posts so far. My wife potty trained all three of our kids by 18 months during the day. They wore diapers at night until 24 months. She has been deemed the potty trained queen by her friends and has helped train their kids as well.

I think it is an excuse to say that they will do it when they are ready. It takes dedication and effort from the person that is training them. I am sure some kids are the exception to this but I believe most kids can be trained quickly.

If you want your kids potty trained then put underwear on them and walk them to the bathroom every half hour. Have them try to go. Make it fun!!! If they have an accident you put them on the toilet right away. Pay attention to their expressions. Most parents can tell when their child has to go to the bathroom.

What you don't do is put underwear on them and expect them to tell you when they have to go.

It's called "Potty Training" for a reason. You have to train them how to do it.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:23 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
My son didn't potty train till he was 3. At the time, I was a stay at home mom with no other children. So I was pretty laid back about stuff. I tried to train him using a reward system. Didn't really work. At 3 years and about 3 months, I finally decided that he was a bright child and he was ready whether he thought he was or not. So I told him that he couldn't go outside and play anymore (which he loved) till he potty-trained! Well, he "trained" that day. Don't necessarily recommend that method, but that's what I did.

Basically, I agree with most of the other posters. I wouldn't sweat it. I think we make too deal out of stuff like that and do try to push them when they're too young. Enjoy their childhood. It goes by before you know it.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I could not disagree more with all of the posts so far. My wife potty trained all three of our kids by 18 months during the day. They wore diapers at night until 24 months. She has been deemed the potty trained queen by her friends and has helped train their kids as well.

I think it is an excuse to say that they will do it when they are ready. It takes dedication and effort from the person that is training them. I am sure some kids are the exception to this but I believe most kids can be trained quickly.

If you want your kids potty trained then put underwear on them and walk them to the bathroom every half hour. Have them try to go. Make it fun!!! If they have an accident you put them on the toilet right away. Pay attention to their expressions. Most parents can tell when their child has to go to the bathroom.

What you don't do is put underwear on them and expect them to tell you when they have to go.

It's called "Potty Training" for a reason. You have to train them how to do it.
Many pediatricians would completely disagree with you. 18 months for most kids is far too young IMO.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
Many pediatricians would completely disagree with you. 18 months for most kids is far too young IMO.
What does a pediatrician have to do with it? 3 years old and still pooping your pants is far too old IMO.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
What does a pediatrician have to do with it? 3 years old and still pooping your pants is far too old IMO.
all kids are different. Some parents would rather deal with diapers than have to find a bathroom NOW at the grocery store, amusement park, etc. not only are you making a huge generalization, but it is incorrect for most kids out there. IMO potty trained means they tell you when they have to go, or they just go themselves. Having to take the child to the bathroom on the parent's schedule and doing the clean up for them is not "trained."

Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
all kids are different. Some parents would rather deal with diapers than have to find a bathroom NOW at the grocery store, amusement park, etc. not only are you making a huge generalization, but it is incorrect for most kids out there. IMO potty trained means they tell you when they have to go, or they just go themselves. Having to take the child to the bathroom on the parent's schedule and doing the clean up for them is not "trained."
That just seems LAZY to me! Sorry Billy you can't go potty right now we have to get milk or sorry suzy you can't go potty we are going on this ride. Just poop or pee your pants. Theres something wrong with that mentality!!!

Your right. My youngest is 4 and I should'nt have to help wipe his butt. I should just throw a diaper on him and tell him to do it in their.

To the OP. If you want to know what we did you can message me. It truly works and is worth the couple weeks of frustration. It obvious that everyone's advice to you is going to be "just wait" You don't have too.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Has everything to do with it for some kids. Since your children all "seemed" to have no difficulty, I put the emotional well-being of my boys ahead of some magic time that may or may not have worked for them and I am glad I did.

I think parents can get caught up in some type of bragging rights for how soon they potty trained their child --- I'm glad I didn't join in!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
That just seems LAZY to me! Sorry Billy you can't go potty right now we have to get milk or sorry suzy you can't go potty we are going on this ride. Just poop or pee your pants. Theres something wrong with that mentality!!!

Your right. My youngest is 4 and I should'nt have to help wipe his butt. I should just throw a diaper on him and tell him to do it in their.

To the OP. If you want to know what we did you can message me. It truly works and is worth the couple weeks of frustration. It obvious that everyone's advice to you is going to be "just wait" You don't have too.
What difference does it make to you if some other parent is "lazy" and chooses not to force potty training upon their kids on their time line instead of the child's? 4 years old is about the time most kids are potty trained, so, no, you shouldn't have to wipe a 4 year old. however you claim to have had your kids trained at 18 months. I'm betting they were still getting a lot of help at that age. There is a huge difference between an 18 month old and a 4 year old. I never said to put a diaper on a 4 year old. On the contrary, mine were trained by 4. What I said is some parents would choose not to have to drop everything and run to the bathroom with an 18 month old. We all know that in the early training stages, the child doesn't give you a 10 minute warning. They have to go NOW. I'll take a wet diaper in Target over wet clothes and underwear and a puddle on the floor any day. By 3 or 4, that isn't as much of a problem.

You did what worked for you. Congrats. But to generalize that everyone should do it that way, and there is just no reason not to, is just not true and not necessary. If you were so right, you wouldn't be disagreeing with every single other poster on here.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
Has everything to do with it for some kids. Since your children all "seemed" to have no difficulty, I put the emotional well-being of my boys ahead of some magic time that may or may not have worked for them and I am glad I did.

I think parents can get caught up in some type of bragging rights for how soon they potty trained their child --- I'm glad I didn't join in!
As I stated in my original post. "I am sure some kids are the exception to this".

For instance. I tried to teach my oldest son how to ride a bike. He wouldn't do it. So instead of throwing my hands up and saying he'll do it when he is ready I researched different ways to teach him. Once we found a way, he was riding a bike within a week or two.

Sometimes the parents just need to figure out the best way to teach their child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting