U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 11:25 AM

25,325 posts, read 24,133,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned - post referred to has been delted

I stick to what I've posted....if you have a severly disabled child who screams uncontrolably, a restaurant is probably not a good idea.

Flame away. I think most people agree.
I'm sure they do too! And as we all know, if most people feel a certain way, or want tdo do a certain thing, then it's DEFINITELY the right way to feel or the right thing to do.

Most people get annoyed with their spouses. Most people (a definite majority--is it 55% now or 60%?) get divorced. That means that getting a divorce is the right thing to do.

Most people are hugely overweight in the U.S. Again, 60% for adults and I can't remember how many children. 35%? Since we're all fat and becoming almost epidemically diabetic, being obese is definitely the right way to be. I mean most people are.

Along that vein, with most people (a majority) heading for some sort of insulin therapy by early old age, injecting ourselves with needles just to survive is obviously the right thing, too. I'm looking forward to it, are you? Most people do it so it must be sweeeeeeeeeeet.

And most people live their lives in a completely egocentric way, with every possible gadget personalized and at their disposal, and are therefore incredibly intolerant of anything that doesn't feel "great" to them--like the sound of a crying child. So that must be the right thing, too--to be increasingly antisocial and unable to function in the midst of an active society.

(slapping forehead) D'oh, why didn't I think of it this way? If it's something most people are doing--then it's definitely right.

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-07-2007 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: "to do"--not "do do"!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:29 AM

1,195 posts, read 4,913,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Obviously you had completely missed the point. Judging other parents is not right. Period. It seems like you came from old generation of: children MUST behave or else.
You might want to read Unconditional Parenting. I
So if I'm understanding correctly I should not be affected by other folks children, children that run around screeming makes me nervous and we all know that some of them do as mine did in my home but not in public.

If I'm suppose to allow my kids to disrupt others in a public enivironment not sure I would be interested in reading that book.

IMO there is nothing more irritating than to go into a store or a restuarant and hear kids screeming.

Sorry if I'm not on the same caliber as you, but my kids are 27 and 30 and they feel the same way as I do.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:33 AM

268 posts, read 1,005,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
I'm not a dog.

I stick to what I've posted....if you have a severly disabled child who screams uncontrolably, a restaurant is probably not a good idea.

Flame away. I think most people agree.
You obviously cannot read because, from so many of these posts, parents DO NOT go into the restaurant EXPECTING their child to scream. You post like parents are planning that their child is going to act this way and they do not care. I call that paranoia...??? Hmmmmm... Maybe that is why you are the way you are. Talking about illness/disability. Paranoia is a symptom of WHAT???? Maybe you should stay out of restaurants too. I don't like to be around paranoid people.
Now how does that feel?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-07-2007 at 11:43 AM..

Old 09-07-2007, 11:35 AM

268 posts, read 1,005,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
So if I'm understanding correctly I should not be affected by other folks children, children that run around screeming makes me nervous and we all know that some of them do as mine did in my home but not in public.

If I'm suppose to allow my kids to disrupt others in a public enivironment not sure I would be interested in reading that book.

IMO there is nothing more irritating than to go into a store or a restuarant and hear kids screeming.

Sorry if I'm not on the same caliber as you, but my kids are 27 and 30 and they feel the same way as I do.
Wow.. I feel for your kids.... Most kids raise their voices when they are having fun/happy. I guess you kept a muzzle on yours while they were in the store or at a restaurant.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:41 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,410,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autimom4ever View Post
You obviously cannot read because, from so many of these posts, parents DO NOT go into the restaurant EXPECTING their child to scream. You post like parents are planning that their child is going to act this way and they do not care. I call that paranoia...??? Hmmmmm... Maybe that is why you are the way you are. Talking about illness/disability. Paranoia is a symptom of WHAT???? Maybe you should stay out of restaurants too. I don't like to be around paranoid people.
Now how does that feel?
Moderator cut: second verse, same as the first
Common sense is officially dead.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-07-2007 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-07-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Wow.. I feel for your kids.... Most kids raise their voices when they are having fun/happy. I guess you kept a muzzle on yours while they were in the store or at a restaurant.
No my kids were raised to respect others..

Old 09-07-2007, 11:44 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,895,915 times
Exclamation Okay, no flaming, name calling or cat fighting

It's a passionate topic, but we must all show respect...ALL. Let's tone it down a wee bit, please.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
It's a passionate topic, but we must all show respect...ALL. Let's tone it down a wee bit, please.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:28 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,143,178 times
Default Parents have that mystical thing called responsibility...

Quote:
Now how does that feel?
No, parents do not go into restaurants expecting their child to scream his or her little head off. However, if this does occur, it is the parent's responsibility to remedy the situation. If this involves taking a child outside until the screaming has subsided, then so be it. A screaming child, no matter what the reason, is an annoyance to everybody else in the restaurant. I agree with Elmonellie completely. If the parents have to get a doggy bag and leave, then that is the responsibility that they signed up for when having a kid.

I'm not saying that I don't understand about autistic (or other disabled) kids. However, it is not fair to the other however many people who are also in the restaurant to basically have to ignore one child.

I have a daughter of a year of age. She likes to watch movies, so sometimes I take her to the movie theatre. She starts crying, fussing, or making other loud or obnoxious noises: Out I go until she has quieted down.

All too often I see kids running around in stores, tearing things up, and being a general nuisance. There is a time and place for "fun" and "play." A restaurant, movie theatre, or store is not the place.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:35 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,195,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Next to losing a child, this is probably the most heartbreaking thing a parent can go through. So, on the rare occasion that a parent must take their disabled child out in public, have a little compassion for them. Maybe they had no other choice but to take them out. Maybe they ran out of something they needed and had no one to stay at home and care for the child. Or maybe they want to give their disabled child a small amount of practice at being in public. Maybe they just needed to get out of the house for an hour. Whatever the case, those parent's are dealing with things most of you could never imagine, so just try not to judge if you ever come across this. Most aren't out to ruin your day, and please don't make their day any more difficult than it already is.
Wonderful post! I agree completely. Sad but compassion is just what seems to be lacking these days.
Sbd78, Your parents seem to have gone through a lot . God bless them and be with your family forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or