U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 06:09 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,983,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
So if I'm understanding correctly I should not be affected by other folks children, children that run around screeming makes me nervous and we all know that some of them do as mine did in my home but not in public.

If I'm suppose to allow my kids to disrupt others in a public enivironment not sure I would be interested in reading that book.

IMO there is nothing more irritating than to go into a store or a restuarant and hear kids screeming.

Sorry if I'm not on the same caliber as you, but my kids are 27 and 30 and they feel the same way as I do.
We all going to be affected by others. That's part of living in communities. And yes, I understand being annoyed by screaming children who misbehave.
But what about children who screaming because they are happy? what about the screams of excitement, happieness and joy? Will you be annoyed too?
I am saying and it seems like you still don't understand, is that it's very easy to shake heads and point fingers. I'm sure people pointed fingers at you and your children when they were young, because people's standards of "good" is very relative. You might be thinking your children are being "good", but they might annoying others.

And for your children feeling the same way you do...but of course...what else can be expected???

Old 09-08-2007, 08:34 PM

3,574 posts, read 12,839,778 times
Am I in a time warp, or is there no such thing as a ***let me think what they were called*** babysitter for those non-family type restaurant dates.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:15 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,913,844 times
[quote=max's mama;1450290]We all going to be affected by others. That's part of living in communities. And yes, I understand being annoyed by screaming children who misbehave.

Sorry but the beginning of this thread was to teach kids to behave in public and that is what I responded to. There is a great deal of joy when a child screams with excitement and there is huge difference between the two. I only responded to the idea of a misbehaved child.
And yes my kids feel the same as I do it's a matter of respect for others.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:55 PM

4 posts, read 8,501 times
Default bad children

It is very frustrating to watch the parents ignore the children. I think that the adults should be spanked for being unfit. No I don't have kids, but if I did I would spank them.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 PM

9,483 posts, read 10,718,979 times
I just want to add something positive, so I will say how proud I am of my three kids, because I have had people come to our table on many occasions to compliment them on their manners and behavior. They have known since very young that if they misbehave in public, esp. a resturaunt, we may have to go to the "Ladies Room" which is markedly different than the potty or bathroom. I have only had to take one child, one time. The others learned by example, and the misbehaved child learned that Mom would do what she said she would do before we went in.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 AM

2,937 posts, read 2,910,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
I just need to vent a little to parents. My lovely wife and I went to our favorite Mexican place for my birthday Friday and listened to 40 minutes of chatter, whining, screaming, and kicking from 3 children. Two women were with them, drinking beer while their little monsters carried on and on. (The beer drinking is another thing that got me steaming...) The ladies, and I use that term very sparingly in this case, just carried on as if nothing was happening. Please all, if you think its okay to let little ones behave terribly in public (or know someone that does), think of the others around you that really have no desire to listen, watch, and be annoyed by your little wonders. Whew, I feel better.
Kids who normally behave badly usually are the product of parents who normally behave badly. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree....

Old 12-06-2007, 05:21 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,585,312 times
I am asking this as a serious note and not being fresh..but doing what you would do common in your part of the country? Because I can tell you here in the NYC area or burbs...wow that so wouldnt happen..unless you would like a cop handcuffing because the parents called them on you.

Again..NOT condoning running around and acting inappropriate at a restaurant. I am just saying that different people have different ways of dealing with kids..and no one has any right to talk to my child unless they want to go thru me (my momma bear claws come out)---whether they are being darling angels that day or not.

This is what irritates a lot of people I know and I imagine others. You (generic you) are not telling your child to stop creating a mess/noise/whatever and it is disturbing other patrons (who are paying to go out to eat or see a movie or again, whatever) but no one but you is allowed to say anything? Once someone not related to said child feels compelled to say something about the atrocious behavior the parent has not done their job. I know I have said something to kids acting like crack monkeys in public but only after waiting awhile for the parent to say something. I figure if the parent isn't doing it, I will.

Also, I know much has been said about the "type" of restaurant and what type of behavior to expect. Unless the restaurant is totally geared towards kids like Chuckie Cheese (no self respecting adult would go there sans kids), it should not matter if it is Appleby's, Chez Pannise (sp?), Red Lobster. One ought to be able to count on food not being tossed at them, straw wrappers not blown at them, no running around, and no ear piercing screams. Do folks on a limited budget, that may only be able to afford chain style restaurants not deserve to enjoy a meal that they paid for?

J

Old 12-06-2007, 06:47 PM

1,943 posts, read 7,627,049 times
I know I commented on this post way, way back when it was first opened.

Some parents do not know how to be parents. The other day I was at bowling. Bowling is a place for loudness, so that wasn't what I had an issue at. What I had an issue with is parents way down at lane 17 and I was at lane 4 and 5, and their 2 or three year old girl came running through all of the lanes, past my lane, and back again-without parent. I almost smacked her right in the face with my ball as i was yanking my arm back. And I was concerned- I thought maybe she got away from momma and was lost...nope, momma was there and watching daughter run up and down.

Or like the parent teacher meeting my co-worker was having, and the parent brought the child that the conference was about (for behavior), and then another sibling about 2. Those two children were running around the room, running behind my co-workers desk, touching things on her desk, and the mom was not saying one word to the children. My co-worker didn't either, because she is new and I am sure was unsure about whether or not to discipline the child in front of mother. SO I opened up the door, excused myself to the mother and my co-worker, and told the children to stop running around the classroom, they are not to touch anything that does not belong to them, and I got them blocks and told them they need to sit in this one carpet area and that's that. The mother looked at me the whole time, and not too nicely...but for the parents that say that no one else better talk to their children...hey, if you can't do the job a mother should do, then someone else needs to step in.

Parents get defensive when other people have to discipline their child, because they probably feel inadequate as parents and are realizing they are doing something wrong in a parent's eyes. I am lucky to say that I have never had anyone to say something to my children- and that's not because they're angels because they are far from it...but it's because I see what they are doing wrong and I stop it.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:37 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,157,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I know I commented on this post way, way back when it was first opened.

Some parents do not know how to be parents. The other day I was at bowling. Bowling is a place for loudness, so that wasn't what I had an issue at. What I had an issue with is parents way down at lane 17 and I was at lane 4 and 5, and their 2 or three year old girl came running through all of the lanes, past my lane, and back again-without parent. I almost smacked her right in the face with my ball as i was yanking my arm back. And I was concerned- I thought maybe she got away from momma and was lost...nope, momma was there and watching daughter run up and down.

Or like the parent teacher meeting my co-worker was having, and the parent brought the child that the conference was about (for behavior), and then another sibling about 2. Those two children were running around the room, running behind my co-workers desk, touching things on her desk, and the mom was not saying one word to the children. My co-worker didn't either, because she is new and I am sure was unsure about whether or not to discipline the child in front of mother. SO I opened up the door, excused myself to the mother and my co-worker, and told the children to stop running around the classroom, they are not to touch anything that does not belong to them, and I got them blocks and told them they need to sit in this one carpet area and that's that. The mother looked at me the whole time, and not too nicely...but for the parents that say that no one else better talk to their children...hey, if you can't do the job a mother should do, then someone else needs to step in.

Parents get defensive when other people have to discipline their child, because they probably feel inadequate as parents and are realizing they are doing something wrong in a parent's eyes. I am lucky to say that I have never had anyone to say something to my children- and that's not because they're angels because they are far from it...but it's because I see what they are doing wrong and I stop it.
Great post and so true:

I went with a friend to her HOA community gathering and the children were all over the place. They had a buffet table set up and these children would come and walk right in front of you just to put their dirty little hands into the food to grab a piece of chicken while their Mother stood over on the sideline, chatting away with another Mother who wasn't paying attention to her little heathen either. The funny thing about it was this community consisted of homes valued at $450k and upwards My community is far below that scale.

For the "well to do parents", IMO I think most of the women just have children for the sake of "financial security" and are not interested in being a parent at all. They want to say they're the "soccer mom" but have no parenting skills whatsoever.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:45 AM

987 posts, read 3,391,274 times
People are so quick to judge. We all know kids who run around in restaurants all grow up to be crackheads and criminals.

Some kids just cannot sit still. Next time you're at the library pick up Mary Sheedy Kurcinka's book about raising the spirited child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or