U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:54 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,459,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
Sad not to see parents at their kids games. Why sign them up if they don't stay for practice or the games???
Don't even get me started on this topic!!! I have never left my son (8) at a practice before and won't any time soon! My hubby coaches our son's basketball team and we had 2 brothers on our team this year. Both have major behavior issues and just won't listen or do what they are told. Mom would drop them off and come back so she was never there to ask her to handle it. There were a couple of times I told them to sit down and mind the coach. They also missed a lot of practice. She had the audacity to yell at me b/c she got the game time wrong one time. I told her flat out it wasn't my responsibility to call her before every game. If you are able to have kids, you can keep a calendar like I do. I gave her the schedule like I did everyone else. But she also thought her kids should play as much as everyone who actually showed up for practice. Uh, no. If you aren't here, you don't get to play as much. Drives me nuts. If you aren't going to bring your kids to practice, don't sign them up. Team sports are just that. If you are not going to teach your kids the responsibility of being on a team, don't bother. I'm tired of all these parents who think they have great athletes that don't need practice. Most of these aren't athletic at all. Mom and dad are living vicariously through Jr. and it's not fair to the kids who really want to be there.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:41 PM

336 posts, read 1,365,622 times
Just jumping into this thread, I have no problem putting a child in its place if the child is doing something annoying and the parent is doing nothing. One time at Papyrus whilst looking at cards I told a three-year old to Be Quiet Please. The mother looked at me and said, "How dare you?" I said, "How dare you? You think that just because you can't tell your child to be quiet that I have to put up with that noise?" She said, "I did tell my daughter to Sshhhh." I said, "Well, it worked when I said it."

I have zero tolerance for parents like that.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:50 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,127,483 times
Ummm yeah I think it is a bit rude to tell anyone to be quiet even if they are annoying you. Other grownups annoy me on a regular basis saying/doing things, making weird noises etc when they shouldn't but I mind my own business and don't tell them to be quiet b/c that would be rude. Same thing goes for a child. So what if they are annoying you? Truthfully, I am very easily annoyed by most people but I'm a grownup & I just have to tolerate it b/c that is life. And if it is a child? Well one would presume as an adult I should have a bit more in the way of tolerance & patience then they may be able to exhibit.

The only time I have said anything to anyone grownup (outside of an actual dispute) or child is if they run into me in the store physically or kick me etc. or are in my way (an "excuse me" suffices). Otherwise, annoying people are just a way of life...

Old 02-25-2008, 09:55 PM

336 posts, read 1,365,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Ummm yeah I think it is a bit rude to tell anyone to be quiet even if they are annoying you.
They need to hear it, trust me.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 PM
b75

So if you were annoying me in the store I should tell you to "be quiet?" That would be acceptable behavior on my part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
They need to hear it, trust me.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:07 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,933,769 times
I can't imagine sitting and watching my 12 year old at basketball practice. I go to every game, his uniform is clean, his water bottle is full and he never misses practice. His job is to behave. His coaches' jobs are to instruct and discipline. If they don't feel like they can keep him in line, they should remove him from the team. My husband has coached baseball and has had to do just that.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,360,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I can't imagine sitting and watching my 12 year old at basketball practice. I go to every game, his uniform is clean, his water bottle is full and he never misses practice. His job is to behave. His coaches' jobs are to instruct and discipline. If they don't feel like they can keep him in line, they should remove him from the team. My husband has coached baseball and has had to do just that.
I sometimes CAN NOT stay at every practice. I have two children that are both active and there are just times that our schedules just flat out don't allow one of us to stay at all practices. I've coached my youngest daughters soccer team up until a few years ago and dh did the oldest ones soccer team for years. Boy, is just being a parent and not "THE COACH" easy. Just get them to practice ready to go and not have to worry about what drills to do, getting changed myself, getting there early and setting up, bringing extra drinks just in case, etc. LOL!!! But I do NOT have a problem w/ parents not staying for practices. Both of my girls take a gymnastics class at a place right by our house (literally two stop signs to go thru from house to there). When one of the gyms other locations burnt down awhile back they moved those people all to ours. OMYGOSH!!!! It was sooooooo crowded. I also have to dropoff the youngest and then tear my behind over to the oldest d's school to pick her up as she gets out of school 10 minutes BEFORE the gymnastics class starts for the younger one. Then I d/o her at the house to get going on homework and go p/u the youngest. I also d/o the older one so that I can be at home w/ the youngest getting her homework done and getting dinner started otherwise we would have a late night. I'm not that far away and if something happened they can get ahold of me or other nearby family. When it comes to game time unless the kids schedules do not permit we are both at all games.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:56 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,360,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Ummm yeah I think it is a bit rude to tell anyone to be quiet even if they are annoying you. Other grownups annoy me on a regular basis saying/doing things, making weird noises etc when they shouldn't but I mind my own business and don't tell them to be quiet b/c that would be rude. Same thing goes for a child. So what if they are annoying you? Truthfully, I am very easily annoyed by most people but I'm a grownup & I just have to tolerate it b/c that is life. And if it is a child? Well one would presume as an adult I should have a bit more in the way of tolerance & patience then they may be able to exhibit.

The only time I have said anything to anyone grownup (outside of an actual dispute) or child is if they run into me in the store physically or kick me etc. or are in my way (an "excuse me" suffices). Otherwise, annoying people are just a way of life...

I will have to STRONGLY disagree. I will and HAVE said something to adults that are acting in a way that is not just rude to me but every other person around. I will do it in a heartbeat on an airplane. Sorry but I REFUSE to put up w/ a bunch of morons sitting behind me kicking my seat and using it as a drum, singing out loud, getting drunk and obnoxious, cussing and saying inappropriate things. Pretty sad when even the flight attendants are egging them on. Even if my kids had NOT been with me on that flight I still would have said something and I think every other passanger on that flight was glad I did have the guts to say something and it took more than once to get it somewhat under control. Then as a business owner if you come into my store and are doing things that are inappropriate we will ask you to leave. We don't allow smoking on the premises due to the nature of the business and we have adults that get upset about that. Had one customer bring his dog in that was growling and snarling at other customers and our employees. You better believe we asked him to leave or take his dog back to his vehicle. I've also asked the inconsiderate moron at the vet's office to PLEASE hold onto his dog and stop letting it run loose IN THE OFFICE waiting area. It was a breed that is not always nice and in a very crowded waiting area w/ that many other dogs and cats and small children SOMEBODY needed to tell them and the staff was busy and he did it when they were not looking.

Sorry but just because I'm an adult does NOT mean that I have to tolerate extremely rude people.

Once they have showm me disrespect and everyone else around I have zilch respect for them and do not owe them any. Actually by saying something I am at least making them aware that their behavior is flat out unacceptable and disrespectfu.

Last edited by momof2dfw; 02-26-2008 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM
b75

Like I said originally I have said something if someone made physical contact with me or did something out of the ordinary. But if someone is just making noise or their talking is annoying me...well that happens everyday - grow up. Heck people's very presence drives me nuts but I deal with it b/c I am a mature adult. I would presume a child has a bit less in the way of self control then I do. Given that, I would think the expectation for me as an adult to not be rude should be a little bit higher then that of a child who has less self-control. IOW escalating a situation to a confrontation b/c a child is talking and that is "annoying" me is pretty ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I will have to STRONGLY disagree. I will and HAVE said something to adults that are acting in a way that is not just rude to me but every other person around. I will do it in a heartbeat on an airplane. Sorry but I REFUSE to put up w/ a bunch of morons sitting behind me kicking my seat and using it as a drum, singing out loud, getting drunk and obnoxious, cussing and saying inappropriate things. Pretty sad when even the flight attendants are egging them on. Even if my kids had NOT been with me on that flight I still would have said something and I think every other passanger on that flight was glad I did have the guts to say something and it took more than once to get it somewhat under control. Then as a business owner if you come into my store and are doing things that are inappropriate we will ask you to leave. We don't allow smoking on the premises due to the nature of the business and we have adults that get upset about that. Had one customer bring his dog in that was growling and snarling at other customers and our employees. You better believe we asked him to leave or take his dog back to his vehicle. I've also asked the inconsiderate moron at the vet's office to PLEASE hold onto his dog and stop letting it run loose IN THE OFFICE waiting area. It was a breed that is not always nice and in a very crowded waiting area w/ that many other dogs and cats and small children SOMEBODY needed to tell them and the staff was busy and he did it when they were not looking.

Sorry but just because I'm an adult does NOT mean that I have to tolerate extremely rude people.

Once they have showm me disrespect and everyone else around I have zilch respect for them and do not owe them any. Actually by saying something I am at least making them aware that their behavior is flat out unacceptable and disrespectfu.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,394 times
Red face a rule of hand ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
You have got to be kidding me.

If you need more information on when discipline becomes abuse you may want to contact your local Department of Children and Family Services office.

I do not need to explain my actions to you. I think I was pretty clear in my last 2 posts.

Spanking works. Period. There are pleanty of parents out there that agree and use this form of discipline themselves.

We are all free to have our own opinions.

Sorry I know this is an old post I just happened to stumble accross it and as a mother of 3 isnt the old rule per CPS after 3 swats on the hind end it becomes abuse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or