U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,208,064 times

Advertisements

Ugh! I am so sorry your birthday celebration was overshadowed by rude parents and poorly behaved children!

Maybe it is my age or lack of tolerance, but I am to the point of saying things to parents of rude kids. If they don't want to hear it they shouldn't take poorly behaved children out in public!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:53 AM

9,444 posts, read 14,983,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Of course they have a right to judge. People judge each other every day. YOU judge people everyday.

If you are a Christian, you may well try to live up to the judgement thing...but let's leave religion out of it for a moment. If you interview a candidate for a job you judge them on how they look, what's on the resume. If you meet someone who is very rude, you judge them. And if parents let's their kids run around like banshees while in public, believe me they WILL be judged as dopey parents who are raising spoiled kids.
I am not bringing religion here, you are, so I'm okay to leave it out of conversation.
Yes, we all judge including me, we are only human. But it doesn't make it Okay and it doesn't make it right saying: ugh, this person is just such a bad and inconsiderate parent, because we don't know what is going on and don't know the insides of the situation.
By the way, YOU are being judged right now on your post and so am I. It's a vicious cycle of human nature. Do you like being judged? I'm sure you don't!!!
The parents at the restaurant OR ANY PARENTS are not here to ask for anyone's approval on their parenting.

For example - I'm against spanking. Many people here know that. Does it make it right for me to say that parents who spank are bad parents??? No. Is it okay for me to say: I don't care for this type of discipline? Yes.

Same here. Do I care that parents are allowing their children run wild and disturb everyone? Yes. It's bothersome. Do I have a right to say that they are bad parents? No.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:20 PM

3,254 posts, read 5,258,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Funny you should mention that. I know a family whose mother used to carry around a hairbrush in her purse and every time the kids would step out of line she would show them the hairbrush in her purse and they would straighten up! You know they got the brush at home. They just got to see it in public and that was enough to make them act right. LOL

Funny thing is, I get the same reaction from my kids- except my intent is seriously to just brush their hair. Unkept hair is a pet peeve of mine - their always looking like homeless kids. ARGH.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:33 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The real problem is 'behave' is a relative term for a lot of people. Some people think it is ok and their kids are 'cute' when they are running laps around a restaurant.
ahh yes the kids in the restaurant
yelling, oblivious to others.
i don't like the screaming kid thing when i eat, esp if i am paying.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:33 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,835,329 times
My husband and I just went to a sushi bar last night with two of my boys ages 7 and 11. The person taking us to dinner is an HBO executive to talk about a movie they are making about us.

At first, the executive asked what to expect on my kid's behavior so we could decide which restaurant to attend. I told him five-star or below would be fine.

My children know how to order their own food including answering whether they want their meat cooked well, medium, rare, etc. They know how to hold their silverware and how to use their napkin. They also know how to be quiet and wait their turn to speak while adults are speaking.

And most of all, they know their manners.

The HBO executive noted how amazing it was to dine with such well-behaved and cultured children. I told him it is a matter of bringing them with us to whereve we decide to go and keeping close tabs on teaching them everything about proper behavior in social situations.

Yes, when a two-year-old child is misbehaving, you address it or seek alternate arrangements. I can't tell you how many times in their early development I would leave the table and take them outside for a talk or discipline. I remove them from the scene of the crime, if you will.

YOU HAVE TO TEACH THEM, NOT TOLERATE THEM!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 03:46 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,978,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailoredMaid View Post

YOU HAVE TO TEACH THEM, NOT TOLERATE THEM!!!
Oh, I love that statement!! Nicely said. I hope I sit next to your family the next time we go out to eat. Our kids could run around together....ha ha!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or