U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 01:33 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthUp View Post
I'm not passing judgement. But in some cases parents are too overwhelmed.
No, she was totally clueless. If she would have been overwhelmed: exasperated, frazzled, had a crying/fussy baby, etc I would have let her go on first ahead of me. This was not the case. She was just flat out clueless and walked right past me by about 2' then stood right in front of the cash register and she saw the poor girl trying to find somewhere to put my stuff and me trying to pay as I was standing shoulder to shoulder w/ her but she kept her butt right there and her large purse plopped down covering up the entire counter. She never acknowledged my existence. Which is pretty bad especially if I had been a "bad person" and was robbing the place, lol.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:33 PM

504 posts, read 1,619,132 times
What parent has not been overwhelmed? Bad parenting doesn't just happen once. Why would anyone that couldn't handle children have any more? Children that are the product of good parenting very seldom break out of the mold and start running around hollering and screaming in a restaurant or unfortunately today it was the grocery store cartwheels and all.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:42 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
What parent has not been overwhelmed? Bad parenting doesn't just happen once. Why would anyone that couldn't handle children have any more? Children that are the product of good parenting very seldom break out of the mold and start running around hollering and screaming in a restaurant or unfortunately today it was the grocery store cartwheels and all.
How about at the bookstore the other day. I was at Barnes & Noble w/ my oldest. She and I both were looking for some books and there were these two seperate families w/ about 3 kids each. OMYGOSH!!! I don't mind the talking and all that is fine. It is not the library and we ran into several friends and we all were talking in a normal voice. BUT!!!! These two sets of kids at different times were running and screaming. The parents never once said one word to get them to stop running or to not scream. I heard the youngest answer the question, "how old are you?". He was SIX!!! That is old enough to know not to run and scream in a store. They were chasing each other around the aisles and all. If my kids are that ready to be running and carrying on I'm not going to stay in the place. If they have been couped up all day then get them outside. They WANT to run and play and that is fine. If you the adult NEED something at the bookstore or store then get it and get out but they were in no hurry and almost encouraging it, "run and show this to your dad/mom", "run get your brother". Sadly both parents were there so one of them COULD have taken them outside. This was afterall at a store at an OUTDOOR mall that had a childrens area right across from it.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:12 PM

3,798 posts, read 6,026,546 times
I don't let my kids run inside or speak inside with their "outside" voices. You can control them to a point, but temper tantrums are uncontrollable, if you can remove them from the public place, I think you should. Sometimes you can't...planes for instance, your stuck!!

Old 07-02-2007, 03:04 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Parents are just in denial sometimes, concerning their kids.
The thing is, we might think our kids don't behave bad, but it might be absolutely annoying and is unexceptable to others. (I am a mom myself)
I guess, a good judgement and common curtesy comes to mind.....Or just staying home....LOL
As the old saying goes, "nobody likes your kids as much as you do." The logical extension of that is "nobody is willing to put up with them like you are." It's one thing for a kid to have an occasional outburst. It's another thing for the parent(s) to let it go on and on without anything more than a cursory attempt (if that) to get it under control. It seems some parents get so adept at tuning it out that they forget the rest of us don't have as much practice at it.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:24 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernexposure View Post
I have a friend() who has a 9 year old daughter and the child is an out of control brat. She "tried" jumping up and down on my new furniture; jumping from one piece of furniture to another, actually grabbed my face in her hands in order to interrupt a conversation her mom and I were having;she screams and is rude. Her mom thinks it's cute. I think her mom is a lazy,sorry parent. I told her she could not bring the child back to my home.
My wife had a "friend" like this with a bratty kid. She went on two outings with this "friend" and her bratty kid before my wife figured out what a lazy, sorry parent the friend was. They did not stay friends for long because my wife just could not abide the kid or the mother's lousy parenting.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:55 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,133,484 times
How is this for clueless? We were leaving for the airport from DisneyWorld on a little shuttle bus. This couple comes on board with two small children. The smallest, around 5, was whining the whole time and would not stay in his seat, which was right across from us. He got worse and worse and the mom never even acknowledged him. I saw his face getting red and he was starting to drool, so I move our luggage as far away from him as possible, ripped the stuffed animals out of the Disney bag and held it under his chin. Sure enough, he puked all over the place, even got the poor gal sitting next to him. I thought the dad was going to drop the mom off of the next bus stop, but he wasnt much better. Pays to be an experienced mom sometimes, lol.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:33 AM

48 posts, read 153,620 times
I was in a restaurant about a month ago....
They had a sign VERY LARGE and out in the open....
ALL UNATTENDED CHILDREN WILL BE GIVEN AN ESPRESSO and a FREE PUPPY.

There were many kids there.. and they were all acting very well.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 AM

3,258 posts, read 7,861,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I agree. But id also like to point out that in the politically correct climate we live in alot of parents dont spank their children in public places because of the trouble they will get in when somebody reports them for it. And the kids know this. Even I, who beleives in spanking (it never hurt me) am vary wary of doing it in public because of nosey busybodies.
One doesn't have to physically spank their children in order for them to be well behaved. If the kids are well disciplined at home, they will know they can't get away with it in public. And BTW, doing absolutely nothing while your kids run around is just rude, and if I were the manager I would have made them LEAVE!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:45 AM

177 posts, read 733,023 times
Default Tolerance- it's not just a word in the dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
I just need to vent a little to parents. My lovely wife and I went to our favorite Mexican place for my birthday Friday and listened to 40 minutes of chatter, whining, screaming, and kicking from 3 children. Two women were with them, drinking beer while their little monsters carried on and on. (The beer drinking is another thing that got me steaming...) The ladies, and I use that term very sparingly in this case, just carried on as if nothing was happening. Please all, if you think its okay to let little ones behave terribly in public (or know someone that does), think of the others around you that really have no desire to listen, watch, and be annoyed by your little wonders. Whew, I feel better.
Well, Delaneyland the next time you are in a restaurant and you see parents having difficulty managing their children would you please be more tolerant and think that these children could have Autism or some other very distressing developmental disorder. I have 2 boys on the spectrum. It is VERY HARD to deal with on a day to day basis. The world is not the same place it was 10-20 years ago , there is a plethora of developmental disorders out there that are for the most part man-made...the food we eat and the healthcare system ( vaccinations) have all contributed to this terrible legacy that are children and grandchildren are facing. Children are drugged up with ADHD medications etc....also people will call the CPS on you at a drop of hat....you cannot spank your kids in public anymore as it is not politically correct to do that....schools cannot discipline anymore either....it really is a dire situation...I went into motherhood as my main occupation 9 years ago when my daughter was born...I then in quick succession had 2 more...both sons...I wanted my family to grow up together. My boys are very lovable and with help they are getting better but it doesn't help when I take them out and people point the finger at me because I cannot sometimes control my youngest as he is distressed in certain situations that are beyond my control...I try to be extemely tolerant and realise that people do not know anything about ASD's if it hasn't affected them directly...but believe me you would feel differently if you had a daughter with a child with Autism..everyone needs to be more tolerant...we all share this world...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or