Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:31 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times

Advertisements

Look I agree with positive parenting. Give em lots of encouragement. Cheer for them all the way.

BUT I do not think that we should put up with rude behaviour. Ignoring it does not say "you have crossed the line" Ignoring it does not say "That was wrong"

If kids have to misbehave to get attention, then maybe we need to look at whether we are giving them that positive attention that they crave and need.

I read a book called "Whale Done". It talks all about using positive rewards to modify behaviour. Based on the the way sea world train their Killer Whales to perform. The inference is that you cant spank a killer whale. Mind you I seem to recall that a killer whale ate a trainer recently. I wonder if the publisher is going to release a suppliment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 01:00 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
That is one long list and I don't think I could remember to check it off as I went about my day. I treat my child the way I would have wanted to be treated when I was a child.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:04 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Look I agree with positive parenting. Give em lots of encouragement. Cheer for them all the way.

BUT I do not think that we should put up with rude behaviour. Ignoring it does not say "you have crossed the line" Ignoring it does not say "That was wrong"

If kids have to misbehave to get attention, then maybe we need to look at whether we are giving them that positive attention that they crave and need.

I read a book called "Whale Done". It talks all about using positive rewards to modify behaviour. Based on the the way sea world train their Killer Whales to perform. The inference is that you cant spank a killer whale. Mind you I seem to recall that a killer whale ate a trainer recently. I wonder if the publisher is going to release a suppliment.
I don't want to compare my daughter to a whale. Would she do those things to me when I am old, argumentative, disruptive, or on bad behavior?

Old 06-12-2010, 01:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

First and foremost, model the behavior you want your child to emulate. Children learn what they live. Teach by example, not words.
I have often said the same thing, but in different words:

You are your child's role model. Be what you want your child to become.

And then, I add that the most important thing that you can do, for your child to see and emulate, is to love your spouse.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:56 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
That is one long list and I don't think I could remember to check it off as I went about my day. I treat my child the way I would have wanted to be treated when I was a child.
This is an old outdated saying. You should treat people how "THEY" want to be treated. Not how you would want to be treated. What if I like to be treated poorly? Should I treat you that way?

This is why you can't treat all of your kids the same way!

Old 06-14-2010, 04:35 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
This is an old outdated saying. You should treat people how "THEY" want to be treated. Not how you would want to be treated. What if I like to be treated poorly? Should I treat you that way?

This is why you can't treat all of your kids the same way!
I was listening to a speach by a fellow called John Maxwell. One of those moticational speaker types. Google him.

Anyway he was reciting a story about how his dad would punish him by sending him to his room and for him that was torture. While he was in his room, the world was going by outside. He went on to say, that when his daughter needed to be punished he tried the same thing. Sent her to her room. Problem was her daughter loved being alone in her room.

Different courses for different horses.

Everyone should be treated with respect. Everone should be terated well. Not how they want to be treated. They should be treated well.

I can not understand the idea that someone wants to be treated poorly.If it is due to poor self esteme, then I am not going to help you down that spiral. If it is due to some sexual kink, then my suspicion is that being "treated poorly" is something you can do for a short time like in the form of foreplay because you have a good self image and trusting partners? friends or something. But I doubt if being treated poorly is something that you really want 24/7.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I was listening to a speach by a fellow called John Maxwell. One of those moticational speaker types. Google him.

Anyway he was reciting a story about how his dad would punish him by sending him to his room and for him that was torture. While he was in his room, the world was going by outside. He went on to say, that when his daughter needed to be punished he tried the same thing. Sent her to her room. Problem was her daughter loved being alone in her room.

Different courses for different horses.

Everyone should be treated with respect. Everone should be terated well. Not how they want to be treated. They should be treated well.

I can not understand the idea that someone wants to be treated poorly.If it is due to poor self esteme, then I am not going to help you down that spiral. If it is due to some sexual kink, then my suspicion is that being "treated poorly" is something you can do for a short time like in the form of foreplay because you have a good self image and trusting partners? friends or something. But I doubt if being treated poorly is something that you really want 24/7.
I agree with this post. You do, however, need to walk in the other person's shoes. Sometimes, cultural differences get in the way of our knowing how to treat people well from their own perspective.

The idea is "let me first understand what they want and then I'll give it to them."

There is a man who writes about this and calls it the *platinum rule.*

He divides people into four motivational categories and talks about how you adapt to each of these different people by considering their needs.

Tony Alessandra - About Tony - The ONLY Official Site to Book Tony for a Speech

Old 06-15-2010, 08:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Thirteenth, Have your offspring's crown dusted three times a week and clean their purple velvet robes once a week.

Fourteenth, when one puts his/her children on a pedestal, especially a high one, the parents usually regret it in one way or another.
My translation of her post is:

1. Be a good role model.
2. Assume your child is a good person who is learning how to behave properly.
3. State what you want instead of what you don't want.
4. Explain yourself when necessary.
5. Address what caused the misbehavior, give choices when you can.
6. Let your child know what's going on around him.
7. Teach your child to control himself when he gets out of control.
8. Say what you mean ONE TIME.
9. Plan your day so your child can comply with acceptable behavior.
10. Agree on rules/consequences ahead of time so your child knows what to expect.
11. Admit when you are wrong and apologize/Allow your child to apologize to you.
12. Give your child age appropriate responsibilities and allow your child to manage the task to the best of his abilty (must be age appropriate).

What are your specific objections?

Old 06-15-2010, 09:41 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
OP: I like your post.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:42 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Nothing in the above post puts children on a pedestal...nor is it treating them like royalty.
It's okay. Sometimes reading comprehension goes out of the window the minute the word "positive" is used. Immediately misinterpreted as "permissive" without really reading into the original content of the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting