Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

As long as its just for normal everyday appearance let the kid wear what they want. We let our 3 year old pick out whatever she wants that is appropriate for the weather. She usually adds on a lime green fairy skirt for good measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 02:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I give my children guidelines now (long sleeve, not jeans, no dress today, etc) that they are 7 & 10. Also, I pay for all their clothing, so I have already approved of every individual piece - though they do get choices.

When they were younger (under 5) they got a choice of two outfits each day. On weekends and during the summer though, I let them pick out their own outfits - with only weather appropriate items where they could reach them. Sometimes, my daughter made interesting choices, combining play clothes with regular pieces, but generally she did fine. My son is a jeans & tee kind of person, so I don't have to worry 99% of the time.

And I never really minded the two different color socks, the "bright pink capris under the light blue shorts with the white fairy skirt and the lime green/yellow striped top under the Brownies tee" look, on non school days. I took pictures and let her run errands with me - she always got smiles and a few comments - all in an indulgent manner from other ladies.

I was 3 1/2 the first time I got to pick out my own outfit and I never forgot it. My mom was in the hospital having my little sister and the neighbor was watching us. She let me pick out my own outfit and dress myself... I felt so proud! My great-grandma also used to let me choose my own outfits... but my mom and grandmother did not - until I was about 10 or so. I loved "Aunt" Mary and Nana for it... such fond memories!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:45 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I do think kids should be taught appropriate dress for the occasion. I wouldn't let my kid wear cargo shorts to the Nutcracker.
Well, I do.

She wears cargo shorts to school all winter as well, standing out for the bus (on days she goes to school) in the dark, in shorts and sneakers with a zippered hoodie for a coat in the dead of winter, in the snow.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:10 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Well, I do.

She wears cargo shorts to school all winter as well, standing out for the bus (on days she goes to school) in the dark, in shorts and sneakers with a zippered hoodie for a coat in the dead of winter, in the snow.
Just like me!
I am a flip flops type of person and when I lived in buffalo new york, me and another girl wore them in the winter...It was a quick walk to the bus and then into the school and then it was warm in there.

That and I wear t-shirts all the time.
I don't care what time of year it is or how cold it is, I ALWAYS wear a t-shirt. I'll wear a jacket or a hoodie over it or put a long sleeve over the tshirt but I cannot stand wearing long sleeves indoors.
I get way to hot and miserable and just have to wear a t-shirt.

My mom used to be all over me about not wearing long sleeve shirts.
I always told her I would wear a jacket but I could not stand wearing long sleeves. It was a battle until I was about...well...it's still a battle but she really gives up easily. I would never budge. After 8 or so I was damn well old enough to say whether or not I was going to wear something that made me uncomfortable and choose my own alternative that was just the same but suited me better.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:33 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Just like me!
I am a flip flops type of person and when I lived in buffalo new york, me and another girl wore them in the winter...It was a quick walk to the bus and then into the school and then it was warm in there.
That's so funny. My oldest used to walk about 6 blocks to school. We lived where there is a lot of snow in winter. She would DRESS for school in high school, doing her hair and makeup, always looking great.

She did wear a coat, but she always wore nice flats or small heels. She'd wade through the snow nearly up to her knees (She had to leave in the dark before they scraped the sidewalks.) with no socks on and only a pair of dress flats. I asked if her feet ever got cold and why would she want to spend the entire day with wet feet. Her answer: Because it looks nice.

It wasn't because she didn't have boots.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:35 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
My 4 year old has been picking out her daily clothes for some time now. I don't care what she wears to go to daycare. I have more input if we are going to church or if it's picture day or a special event or something. I may give her choices, or I may just pick it myself in that case. But for regular day-to-day, I really don't care if she matches. She usually does fine on her own, but sometimes she comes up with interesting outfits. I almost bought her a button once that said "I dressed myself!" that I could put on her on those days!

Regarding what a PP said about babies, I never dressed my babies in sleepers to go out during the day and always found that kind of an odd thing when people do it. I don't, however, find it odd to dress a baby in just a onesie, or even just a shirt, in the summer. I usually prefer rompers though.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Well, I do.

That's how we end up with teens who wear jeans to funerals and adults who don't know how to dress for a job interview.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:12 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
That's how we end up with teens who wear jeans to funerals and adults who don't know how to dress for a job interview.

Yeah because hot natured people don't know how to dress for appropriate occasions.

I have a friend who is a big dude. He DOES NOT get cold in the winter, it can be snowing and 28 degrees out and he will be in a t-shirt.
He puts anything more on and he gets hot and burning up.

But boy does he know how to dress for the occasion...he was an explorer too, he had to go to court etc, decked out in a full suit and tie....he looked GOOD..

And teens wear jeans to funerals and adults don't know how to dress for job interviews because NO ONE TEACHES THEM.
Wearing cargo shorts in the winter to school has no correlation to wearing jeans to a funeral...

I live in colorado and TONS of guys wear shorts to school and girls wear skirts with uggs.. but A LOT of them know how to dress up when need be.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:22 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Even when we take a limo to The Nutcracker, my daughter chooses what she will wear. It fluctuates between a nice dress, and a pair of cargo shorts and sneakers or something similar. It never bothers her that everyone is dressed to the nines, and we always see at least a couple other kids dressed down.

We go every year to that and other performances.

I have noticed that there are performances which are decidedly more casual than others. Being a stuffy old broad, I have to admit to liking the tradition and pageantry of the formal setting. For one thing, it serves to intimidate my young companion into shockingly good behavior.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I have noticed that there are performances which are decidedly more casual than others. Being a stuffy old broad, I have to admit to liking the tradition and pageantry of the formal setting. For one thing, it serves to intimidate my young companion into shockingly good behavior.
You just made my day with that post! May I permanently borrow the "stuffy old broad" self-description? I promise I'll really and truly put it to good use and cherish it forever. Please, please, please, pretty please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting