Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:23 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
... or she is going to start talking and never shut up. Do you really want to hear about Dora or Hannah Montana or whatever the teen celeb du jour is forever? I think not.

Best to acknowledge her presence and avoid getting into lengthy conversations. If you are truly a glutton for punishment, ask her to show you her room. yeeesh

20yrsinBranson
blissfully childfree myself
You don't give 10 year olds much credit. Not ALL of them like Hannah Montana et al. Mine never did, and they could carry on a conversation just as well as any young adult.

OP, you're not going there to be her playmate, are you? Your cousin is an adult which means you will likely spend the majority of your time with her, not the child.

Be friendly and everything will be great. Give the girl a chance to approach you then listen with interest to what she says. She might surprise you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Used to tease my niece and tell her she looked like a girl.
Young girls are just like older women, just not as refined in their manners.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:28 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I am going out of state to visit my cousin and her daughter with my mother and aunt.

My little cousin is about 10 years old (I think)...and at the request of her mother Im staying with them in their apartment while my mother and aunt are in a hotel room (Because I dont wanna disappoint my cousin)

Question is...I have no.clue.at.all what to talk to a 10 year old lil girl about. My first instict is to run...but I cant do that. I havent seen this kid since she was a toddler....

HELP! Please? What do 10 year old lil girls like?
That's a loaded question. My daughters, at ten, were interested in New Kids on the Block, Star Wars, basketball, or the nesting habits of wild parakeets, depending on which one you were talking to.

Best bet is to ask her what she finds interesting, and talk to her like she's an intelligent, thinking being. Most people don't do that with ten-year-olds. She'll at least find it novel, if not refreshing and gratifying.

And it's good of you to want to make the effort to engage her, btw.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:33 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Bring a deck of cards. If you get stumped for conversation you can always play "war".

Old 06-19-2010, 09:16 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I think you will be surprised at how mature a 10 yr. old girl can be. Everyone is different, so I would ask her outright, tell me the things you are interested in and like. Go from there, you will likely have plenty of things to talk about and may find some similarities between you two. Good luck and have fun!

Old 06-20-2010, 12:51 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
If it was my daughter, she'd probably say a polite "hello" and then head off to spend the afternoon with her friends, bird watch in the backyard, or read quietly in her room.

I doubt either her or her mother expect you to be a source of entertainment. At ten, she should be capable of occupying herself, and she'll probably sense your anxiety and make herself scarce if you have no connection. If you want to have a relationship with her, just ask a few leading questions about school, friends, or hobbies, and let her take it from there.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
You don't give 10 year olds much credit. Not ALL of them like Hannah Montana et al. Mine never did, and they could carry on a conversation just as well as any young adult.

OP, you're not going there to be her playmate, are you? Your cousin is an adult which means you will likely spend the majority of your time with her, not the child.

Be friendly and everything will be great. Give the girl a chance to approach you then listen with interest to what she says. She might surprise you.
Very true. Never assume a 10 year boy likes Hannah Montana and to some kids that age, that's a sign of uncool to be into Hannah Montana.

Just like adults, not all kids are big fad followers. You can't assume much of anything by that age.

My kid was just 8 when someone patronizingly asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up so he feigned seriousness and looked her straight in the eye and said, "Well my teacher told us we could be anything we want to be, so I want to be a werewolf". He loved to put people on, sometimes he would look almost sad and answer the question with "Well I really wanted to be a policeman but I don't really like doughnuts too much". Just to see the reaction.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
My daughter is almost 11 and here are a few things that really get her talking~ maybe they can be of some help!
1) Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse! For further info google Rob Pattinson and Taylor Lautner!
2) Books! My daughter loves to read and loves talking about different books!
3) School! She loves to talk about people and friends at school and all of the school gossip!
4) Summer! What she's doing for the summer, where she's going~ my daughter loves to talk as you can see!
5) Parties! She loves to talk about all the parties she's been attending and again...the gossip!

Good luck and don't worry! This age is easy breezy when it comes to talking!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I am going out of state to visit my cousin and her daughter with my mother and aunt.

My little cousin is about 10 years old (I think)...and at the request of her mother Im staying with them in their apartment while my mother and aunt are in a hotel room (Because I dont wanna disappoint my cousin)

Question is...I have no.clue.at.all what to talk to a 10 year old lil girl about. My first instict is to run...but I cant do that. I havent seen this kid since she was a toddler....

HELP! Please? What do 10 year old lil girls like?
There isn't any mystery in talking to kids. You were a 10 year old girl at one time, right? What did you like to do when you were in 4th or 5th grade? It sounds like you are trying to figure out what facade would be appropriate to put up; that is going to fall on its face and turn into a situation worth running away from. You should probably be talking to her the way you would talk to anyone you are trying to get to know.

A 10 year old is a pretty complex and interesting little creature; still a child but not a baby. What does she want to do for a living when she gets older? Does she have a favorite author? Favorite movie? Favorite singer? "Really? I have no idea who Justin Bieber is. Is he cute?"

A good conversation just happens, you can't force it. Don't be scared - she won't bite and she's potty trained.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,382 times
I have a nine year daughter and a bunch of girl cousins at that age its really not to hard. just ask questions about her favorite shows, school, friends and activites she's involved in and before you know it you will find something that ya have somewhat in common. Maybe its a sport or she's outdoorsie like you or a reader like you. Ask her about her favorite thing about where she lives and you can visit the place. Of course the coversation is always going to be light and fluffy but 10 year old girls are really just short people

Have fun with the visit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting