Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times

Advertisements

I am going out of state to visit my cousin and her daughter with my mother and aunt.

My little cousin is about 10 years old (I think)...and at the request of her mother Im staying with them in their apartment while my mother and aunt are in a hotel room (Because I dont wanna disappoint my cousin)

Question is...I have no.clue.at.all what to talk to a 10 year old lil girl about. My first instict is to run...but I cant do that. I havent seen this kid since she was a toddler....

HELP! Please? What do 10 year old lil girls like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
10 is old enough you can have real conversations. Don't force it, just ask about things like school, hobbies, etc. As to what 10 year old girls like -- it's all over the map. Finding out what she likes and doesn't like will give you something to talk about.

I don't have a child that age, but I used to spend a lot of time working with kids in that age group. It's generally a pretty fun age; old enough that they can do things on their own, have strong opinions, and can have more sophisticated conversations, yet young enough that they still think it's fun to hang out with the adults and aren't worried about seeming cool. Of course everything will vary by the individual kid. Don't worry so much about it; it shouldn't be a big deal, and besides, no need to feel like you have to be the entertainment, either. Just keep the talk PG and you'll be fine.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
I suggest you ask her what she likes and go from there. 10 year olds are not little girls any more but many haven't started in with the teenage drama so it's a nice, easy going time for most girls.

Have fun!!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I am going out of state to visit my cousin and her daughter with my mother and aunt.

My little cousin is about 10 years old (I think)...and at the request of her mother Im staying with them in their apartment while my mother and aunt are in a hotel room (Because I dont wanna disappoint my cousin)

Question is...I have no.clue.at.all what to talk to a 10 year old lil girl about. My first instict is to run...but I cant do that. I havent seen this kid since she was a toddler....

HELP! Please? What do 10 year old lil girls like?
Just be yourself and don't try to tailor your conversations towards her. Otherwise you are going to come across looking like a total dork. Either that, or she is going to start talking and never shut up. Do you really want to hear about Dora or Hannah Montana or whatever the teen celeb du jour is forever? I think not.

Best to acknowledge her presence and avoid getting into lengthy conversations. If you are truly a glutton for punishment, ask her to show you her room. yeeesh

20yrsinBranson
blissfully childfree myself

Old 06-19-2010, 07:59 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,798,510 times
You can hold conversations with 10 year olds, no problem. It may possibly be a bit slow at first. Remember that she's probably nervous about having a stranger around too.
Asking about her school, classmates and friends can be an opener. It can actually wind up being entertaining, you never know.
On the other hand, she might think you're boring and leave you alone.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:25 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Ask her if she'd like for you to explain Discrete Energy States of Quantum Theory. If she says yes, do it. If she says no, challenge her to tell YOU about it, since she knows so much, hrrmph!

Old 06-19-2010, 08:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Ask her if she likes boys. What movies she likes, television shows - favorite kind of animal, how her teachers and classes are. What subjects she likes. If she's traveled ask her about trips she's taken, things she's seen and done.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:50 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I think you may be pleasantly surprised how quickly you will bond. It is a good age. I agree, ask her about school, her favorite things and so forth. Then you tell her your favorite things. It will be easier than you think.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
I'd ask her to bring out any pictures she has growing up, whether you want to see them or not. It would open the door to conversation and you'd learn a little more about her. I'd see if she enjoys cooking and maybe make some muffins or cookies together. Ten yrs old is usually way beyond Dora and not quite ready for boys. Most books stores have a good supply of American Girl books and DVD's that are geared for her age. Rent an American Girl movie. They are quite enjoyable.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I'd walk in and say, "I just LOVE Justin Bieber!" (Google him if need be, but I'm totally confident on this one.) She'll do all the talking from that point on. Just say things like, "His hair is the best thing about him" if she comes up for air.

You will have a new best friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting