Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:53 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,521 times

Advertisements

The fact that there are plenty of bathrooms in an airport have nothing to do with anything. The OP stated the plane was late, it can take much more than a few minutes to get to the closest bathroom, wait for your return, and get back to the gate. I personally would much rather have someone change their kids diaper at the gate than hold us up any longer because she didn't make it back in time. And I would certainly rather her change it at the gate then in the airplane.

This has nothing to do with wanting attention. Noone seeks attention by changing their child in front of everyone. They do it because it is either a pain in the rear to get somewhere else. Airports are horrible crazy places, I don't blame the mom one bit.

And it is totally different than someone changing a diaper on a table in a restaurant. That is totally inappropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 02:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A parent that doesn't want a lot of attention would notice there are plenty of bathrooms in an airport.

Those who carry out their parenting duties in front of the crowds do so because they want attention. Others find quiet areas, or the changing tables in the bathrooms because they don't want a lot of attention.

I won't say anything however, it's the attention they crave so I think it's best to not give it to them.
OMG! YOU are sooo right.
It's done for the attention.
That's why the special ed mom (as the OP called her) did it..for the attention.
Actually, I think that is the only reason women go through childbirth..it's the attention.

When we were on the tarmac for over 2hrs and the line to the one bathroom was all the way down the plane, I changed a diaper for the attention

Kudos to you & the OP for being the biggest dingbats of the day & not realizing your post & the OPs is being written for...ding ding ding...attention & negative responses! (though I am sure you realize exactly what you are saying & that is why you are saying it..like 13yr olds who yell walking down the street)

Old 06-20-2010, 02:54 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
I think certain parents are so absorbed with being parents that they want to display every aspect of their parenting to the whole world. They could be more discreet but that's not the point, they want to make a big show for all.

I've been in restaurants where the baby or toddler is laid out on the table and the diaper changed right there -- for all the restaurant patrons to admire I suppose.
Eeeewwwww!!!!

Many parents brag and can be showy about their babies and even older children....I can see that at soccer games, school events and even play-dates with other kids but I've never seen a parent being 'showy' about changing a diaper. Do they think people will be impressed?

I think it has more to do with not seeing the need to be more discreet rather than trying to be showy. I'd change my babies on my couch or on the floor in the middle of the room at home but if we were at someone's house I'd go to the bathroom or ask to use a bedroom. Not everyone does though...I had lots of other babies changed on my couch or floor and most parents don't' think of going to another room. It didn't bother me but I didn't think they were being showy either....they just do the same at home and figure it's no big deal.

Now the restaurant table....I don't see how anyone could be that tactless...even if they change the baby on the table at home.

Last edited by NCyank; 06-20-2010 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: fixed my typo :)

Old 06-20-2010, 02:57 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
A parent that doesn't want a lot of attention would notice there are plenty of bathrooms in an airport.

Those who carry out their parenting duties in front of the crowds do so because they want attention. Others find quiet areas, or the changing tables in the bathrooms because they don't want a lot of attention.

I won't say anything however, it's the attention they crave so I think it's best to not give it to them.
I bet she was just trying to stay near the gate. Going behind the CS desk makes me think that she was trying to get out of the way. I can't imagine why anyone would think that she was doing this as a ploy for attention. Changing diapers is just part of the routine when you have little kids. It doesn't seem weird to me that she changed them in a public place. I doubt she thought anyone was even paying attention to what she was doing.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I bet she was just trying to stay near the gate. Going behind the CS desk makes me think that she was trying to get out of the way. I can't imagine why anyone would think that she was doing this as a ploy for attention. Changing diapers is just part of the routine when you have little kids. It doesn't seem weird to me that she changed them in a public place. I doubt she thought anyone was even paying attention to what she was doing.
I can guarantee you that there are parents who had 6 or 7 or more kids and never once had to change a diaper in public.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I can guarantee you that there are parents who had 6 or 7 or more kids and never once had to change a diaper in public.
so?

Old 06-20-2010, 03:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
so?
So. It's not necessary to find an audience and we all know it.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Was she looking for an audience or was she just trying to get something done quickly so that she could catch her plane on time? I don't see what the big deal is. Yes changing a diaper on a table of a restaurant is gross but on the floor in the airport while waiting for a plane? Do people really care about stuff like that? If I saw someone do that I wouldn't think twice about it. If it grossed me out I would walk away. Problem solved.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I've been in restaurants where the baby or toddler is laid out on the table and the diaper changed right there -- for all the restaurant patrons to admire I suppose.
Oh, yuck! I thought the worst example of "horrible places to change a diaper" was the total-stranger-woman who chose the trunk of my car in a parking lot. (Then proceeded to toss the old one onto the ground.)

But a table in a restaurant? Yeeeccchhh.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:38 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
I think if she had wanted an audience she would have plopped the kid down right in the middle of the gate area. While she was at it she might have had some loud comments about how hard it was to be preggers with 3 young children at the crowed airport when they all needed to have their diapers changed before they were called for the flight. She may have pointed out that her husband was right over there ----> but he was doing important things like reading the paper or watching ESPN on the gate TV. She might have LOUDLY asked if he could at least pass her the wipes all while shooting hot poker glares in his direction. Then (if she was looking for attention), she might have declared, for everyone to hear, that she felt one of those 'I'm not in the mood headaches' coming on (while holding the back of her hand to her forehead) and that she wasn't expecting a cure until the last child was out of diapers or until her lazy @ss DH could manage to get himself up and take responsibility for helping with HIS children.

That's what I might have done if I was looking for attention. If I wasn't, I might have slipped behind the counter and told the fella sitting nearby simply, almost apologetically, that I was going to have to change some diapers there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting