Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:23 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyann65 View Post
Help please

My daughter is 19 and will not hold a job all she wants to do is sleep party and complain how it is all everybody's fault sh looses her jobs. She has been through 5 jobs in the last 2 months. This last one she had for 3 days and quit to go on a boat with her buddies for her birthday.
My husband who is her step dad is about at his end with the whole thing and I just do not know what to do. I love my daughter AND my husband he wants to kick her out but i have stopped that because she has no place to go and for a girl on the street it just is not safe any suggestions or advice would be wonderful
Kelly
Make her pay rent. She misses rent.. locks on the door are changed. Too bad so sad. Time for her to grow up. JMO though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 11:53 AM

Location: I'm at the intersection waiting for the stop sign to turn green.
22 posts, read 70,810 times
Quote:
Help please

My daughter is 19 and will not hold a job all she wants to do is sleep party and complain how it is all everybody's fault sh looses her jobs. She has been through 5 jobs in the last 2 months. This last one she had for 3 days and quit to go on a boat with her buddies for her birthday.
My husband who is her step dad is about at his end with the whole thing and I just do not know what to do. I love my daughter AND my husband he wants to kick her out but i have stopped that because she has no place to go and for a girl on the street it just is not safe any suggestions or advice would be wonderful
Kelly
I'm going through the EXACT same thing with my 19 yo. It seems that they want the privileges of adulthood without the responsibility. I did evict my son once and it was difficult adjusting to him not being at home. After about 2 weeks we allowed him to return with assurances from him that he would change. About a week later, I saw signs that told me to expect more of the crap from him. Now, he has until the first week of November to get "it" together or he's out of the house for good.

I'm not a fan of evictions but sometimes it's necessary.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:18 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,090 times
Sounds to me like she does what she does, because Mommy isn't putting her foot down. I would suggest as a previous poster stated, give her some responsibilities (i.e. give her some of the household bills). If she doesn't pay, don't let it go, give her 30 days to find a place to live. Unfortunately, it might sound harsh, but right now you are just enabling her and it will continue as long as you allow it. As far as your husband, imagine for a moment that it was his child (your step child) doing the same thing, I am sure that you wouldn't sit back idle and allow it to continue

Old 09-28-2007, 08:17 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,156 times
My parents pretty much laid down the law with my brother and I...as long as we lived under their roof or were supported by them financially, we either had to work or go to school...and after the age of 22, we were on our own regardless.

Both my brother and I went to college at age 18...I graduated at 21, he graduated at 22, and we were on our own. No question about it. I'm sure our parents would have helped us if we'd fallen on desperate times, but they were an absolute last resort and we knew it. He'd made that clear to us since before we went to high school. We got tired of hearing it, but we got the message.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:51 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,001 times
Maybe she is depressed?

Old 10-01-2007, 03:55 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
I had an option at 18.....I could live at college.....I could live at home with a job....or I could live on a military base no other options were given.....it worked for me.....

Old 10-01-2007, 04:04 PM

261 posts, read 621,608 times
Tell her that she has one month to get it together: Find a job, go to school, etc.

Start packing her stuff up every weekend until she's completely packed.

Give her the boot after one month if she doesn't meet your requirements.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:58 PM

631 posts, read 2,445,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
I say don't kick her out. If you do, she's got a good chance of becoming a criminal of some sort and it then becomes my problem, too.
Yeah, I got one of those girls too.
But nope, from experience kicking her out does not deem her to being a criminal. Mine was free to be a criminal as she was being supported at home. She didn't have to work for anything and could just go and blow as she pleased.
After 10 good days in the clink she learned some skills. How to make a hair tie out of a sock, how to hide your underwear, what underwear NOT to wear to jail (pretty ones the girls would steal) how to shave your legs with a string...

With new found skills, she was so glad to see me. I got her a job the next day, she didn't bunk it, and so far she's into it a month now and working extra hours. She just glows at work and likes her job.

I gave you a point anyway. Liked your answer.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Help please

Kelly
Tell her if she cant keep a job, you'll give her 20+ hours of work to do at home, like laundry etc that will keep her busy.. She'll quickly find a job just to get away from you..

Old 10-05-2007, 08:32 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,398,547 times
The person who initially opened this thread never came back, yet the replies run for 7 pages !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting