Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:41 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I think I would have said to the mother, "You are just in time to take the younger ones home as we are having family time right now."

I also would have told the younger children that today is special and we are only having one friend each today and would have sent them home.

100% agreement .. Thats really the best way to deal with it .. people dont have any concept of some things and just expect to be allowed to share .. I dont understand that at all ..
I like Annies idea ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:08 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
I had to think about this for a few more minutes .. and yanno you got a "mooch" on your hands .. the other mother needs to learn boundries as well .. Some people never are taught to ask and use manners they just show up and crash the party .. theres something wrong with the mom of the visiting kids if she doesnt ask first and then follow your rules ..
WSOP, all and all I understand and applaude your ideas and your way of dealing with the gate crashers .. its a shame we havent taught folks the meaning of respect .. .. mooching is a big form of disrespect of your home/pool/time .. sometimes rude is the only way to teach some of these kinda folks the meaning of ask first .. I would just send the uninvited kids home soon as they showed up.. with a smile of course as you sweetly tell them they were not inviited .. bet their momma will be hot footing over to find out why they cant come play .. .. and that is where the lesson time really comes into play .. ya teach her so she can teach her kids how to be polite and non moochers ..

Old 06-28-2010, 01:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Funny, we do nto have tis problem at all. We have a decent sized pool, but it does not really get used enough to justify the expense of putting it in. I would be happy if more people came over to use the pool. I prefer to have the kids around with their friends than off elsewhere doing who knows what.

We do nto allow drowning in our pool, so liability is not so much of a concern. Besides we have strong swimmers, lots of rules, and pretty good insurance. The only thing that bugs me is when kids do nto want to take a shower before jumping in the pool. However, the dog jumps in without taking a shower, so I guess kids are not so dirty by comparison. Hey, that is why we have filters and chlorine.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:16 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We do nto allow drowning in our pool, so liability is not so much of a concern.
"Allow"? Like some people do not allow shoes in the house?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
.. people dont have any concept of some things and just expect to be allowed to share .. I dont understand that at all ..
Really, you don't? Kids are taught from the very beginning to share. With parents and teachers alike, everything has to be equal. Kids are growing up thinking whatever someone else has, he/she is entitled to. What do you expect?

Those with are expected to give, and those without expect to benefit from that giving. Basically, it's a what's yours is mine mentality.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 PM

32 posts, read 95,171 times
A nice section of lattice and climbing roses might provide a nice privacy screen for that area of the front porch, and they will get the point after a few scratches.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Funny, we do nto have tis problem at all. We have a decent sized pool, but it does not really get used enough to justify the expense of putting it in. I would be happy if more people came over to use the pool. I prefer to have the kids around with their friends than off elsewhere doing who knows what.

We do nto allow drowning in our pool, so liability is not so much of a concern. Besides we have strong swimmers, lots of rules, and pretty good insurance. The only thing that bugs me is when kids do nto want to take a shower before jumping in the pool. However, the dog jumps in without taking a shower, so I guess kids are not so dirty by comparison. Hey, that is why we have filters and chlorine.
Your kids must be very happy and well adjusted the way you come off in your posts. It's good to not always take yourself too seriously.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Your kids must be very happy and well adjusted the way you come off in your posts. It's good to not always take yourself too seriously.

No. I am a tyrant. Just ask them. Besides they are mostly teenagers. If teenagers are happy, something is wrong with them. Teen years are for complaining.

Of course other times I am a god to them. They often refer to me as "Oh, God Dad!" I enjoy being god dad more than being a tyrant.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I allow drowning in our pool. Just last week, we drowned one of those people who come to visit the old lady behind us. We had a whole party just for the occasion, got the blender out and made pina coladas and hired a mariachi band and everything.

Should we not have done that? Everyone else would've been so disappointed.

Maybe if we just add more chlorine to the pool next time - ya think? Y'know, to keep things antisceptic and all.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:51 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I allow drowning in our pool. Just last week, we drowned one of those people who come to visit the old lady behind us. We had a whole party just for the occasion, got the blender out and made pina coladas and hired a mariachi band and everything.

Should we not have done that? Everyone else would've been so disappointed.

Maybe if we just add more chlorine to the pool next time - ya think? Y'know, to keep things antisceptic and all.
i hope the children had lots of pina coladas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting