U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:49 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,578,365 times

Advertisements

Sometimes ya just gotta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 07:52 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,329,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
A relative of mine is at wits end to stop the bullying of his son. The poor boy is constantly being bullied by a variety of other kids at school. The school officals and teachers are worthless and say they can not do anything unless someone sees it. They say the bullied boy is likely just making it all up. He is not.

Has there been any successful lawsuits by parents of kids who have been physically bullied against the parents of the boy who bullies? I am sure that the bullying would stop if the parents of the bullies were to face legal and financial jeopardy.
This used to fall into the "Boxing Lessons" domain. Nothing stops bullying like a bloody nose. Teaching kids to fight isn't a bad thing; kids with confidence in their ability to defend themselves don't have to fight. In the past days of pragmatism, the question was always "who threw the first punch?" That's completely logical.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:48 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,578,365 times
Today in our school systems in Oklahoma it don't really matter who threw the first punch. Now if you can PROVE it, like by what was on camera, and I have learned to DEMAND to see the cameras, then you might get off with self defense. But. If they hit you and you said "D---MMIT why did you do that???" You get suspension for cursing. Either way, they are gonna get you. Unless you just quietly get back up and defend yourself and can prove it. Not with who the teacher saw, around here the teachers won't take up for your kid. It will be who has the most money, social standing, ect. If the other kid had 4 or 5 friends standing there and they all say your kid hit them first.. they are done.
Good Luck!!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
You certainly can file suit ';n fact you can file suit for anything.Bet if you get a lawyer he will include the school and supervising teacher(s).

Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 PM

697 posts, read 1,775,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
Most will not agree with me, but sometimes you must fight back.

Okay, so it might be semi-violent that I grabbed her by the shirt and the vulgar language wasn't necessary, but I was steaming mad!

If the school won't do anything to put an end to the bullying, I say kick the bully's a$$.
What's not to agree with?? The only power a bully has is intimidation. When that's gone, they have nothing left.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:00 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,640,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
A relative of mine is at wits end to stop the bullying of his son. The poor boy is constantly being bullied by a variety of other kids at school. The school officals and teachers are worthless and say they can not do anything unless someone sees it. They say the bullied boy is likely just making it all up. He is not.

Has there been any successful lawsuits by parents of kids who have been physically bullied against the parents of the boy who bullies? I am sure that the bullying would stop if the parents of the bullies were to face legal and financial jeopardy.
I am going to assume that this bullying is done either on the School yard during recess? Aren't there noon duty aides that are hired specifically for this purpose at the school? Has the child gone and told the aides or adults in charge? If the bullying is occuring in the classroom wouldn't the teacher be a witness? Has your relative spoken to the child's teacher? Or the principal?
The reason I am asking these questions is because last year we havd a similiar situation at school.
Last year during mid year my son was coming home stating that there was a child in the class that was going around and grabbing the boys in their crotch area also on their bottoms (This child was male as well) I asked him if this was happening to him and my son stated that this had not occured to him but it had occured to 4 different children.
Being that this is out of the range of normal behavior I decided to speak to some of the parents and inquire if they had heard something similiar and they stated that indeed they had and they had already spoken to the Principal and her reply was " I have been out there ever since this rumor began and I have not seen anything."
Let me state that this is a private school and we all invest in this school mainly for the environment and 0 tolerance policy for violence, teasing or any other inappropriate behavior well come to find out that the childs mother did not work but volunteered alot of her time in the office, hmmmm?
So I went to speak with the Principal and told her what my had son had stated and before I could go on she stated to me the same rhetoric she had told the other parents and I stated " I have been a teacher for over 10 years and when I was younger I also worked in a school aged program when I was in college and it has been my experience that if one is waiting for a child to do something than they will be waiting a long time. I stated that at 10 years old children will find ways of doing their BS so they are not caught and this was not going to fly. She stated that their were 2 more aides out there and I stated this made little difference and if perhaps the childs mothers participation in the school was causing a delay in any action? I also took the time to ask her what the protocol was to file a formal complaint? Who was above her? A board of directors and so forth.
The principal stated that she would be on top of it and speak to the childs mother well come to find out the behavior stopped and the child did not return this year.
I would tell your relative to perhaps if possible go and volunteer during lunch or morning recess and see what is going on, I would get the names of the children and give this information to the principal, if continues I would go higher than the principal this behavior is unacceptale period.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 5,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The pain and suffering inflicted upon any child by bullying is awful. Nothing good comes from learning to endure such treatment. However I would never advocate seeking relief via the legal system; that just adds to other societal problems.

Is there a school counselor to assist your relatives child? With my oldest son there were a series of issues over the years and we too heard the refrain that "we can't address a problem we don't see". Eventually we enlisted the counselor to observe over a period of time until they either confirmed or rejected the claims (they usually had merit). In one particularly difficult episode I cautioned the principal that if my son took matters into his owns hands (he knows how to throw a punch) I would absolutely reject any attempt by the administration to discipline him.

I encourage you to advise your relative to hold the school administration accountable and force them into doing their job. If not, they should escalate to the next level.

What is the next level? Already spoke to school administrator, and can not get anywhere.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:47 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
Have you tried contacting the bullies parents? Thats what I did with my son (with one bully only) and it worked wonders. I think many parents have no idea that their kid is being so awful and would be fully supportive to change that behavior. Shame on the school for being like that. We have a no tolerance rule at our schools.

Is it possible for your relative to be near the school at recess to see the bullying for themselves? Then when it happens they can go to the principal and tell them that they have seen it.
A talk with the parents usually works wonders..............

Old 10-28-2008, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,795 times
What is the next level if you've already tried the above?

Old 10-28-2008, 12:00 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,466,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjlgs View Post
What is the next level if you've already tried the above?
Let's see, there's the soop's office, the school board, the ACLU, the newpaper, but I'd start with the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or