U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:16 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,891,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjlgs View Post
What is the next level if you've already tried the above?
A more forceful version of that "talk."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 12:24 PM

3,254 posts, read 5,257,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
A relative of mine is at wits end to stop the bullying of his son. The poor boy is constantly being bullied by a variety of other kids at school. The school officals and teachers are worthless and say they can not do anything unless someone sees it. They say the bullied boy is likely just making it all up. He is not.

Has there been any successful lawsuits by parents of kids who have been physically bullied against the parents of the boy who bullies? I am sure that the bullying would stop if the parents of the bullies were to face legal and financial jeopardy.
I would transfer my kid to another school. Private school if I had too. There is nothing of greater importance than a childs safety at school.
This could really affect his progress and learning. No way. They should remove him and THEN sue the school.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,794 times
Default Bullying

[FONT=Verdana]Looking for some answers. My friends 14 yr old son is getting bullied at school, his parents have went and talked to the teachers, principal, school phys. and have not got anywhere; except a distraught child who feels like he is a failer. They're son went to school and once again dealt with a day of abuse and finally broke down and shouted out that he was going to kill this kid. Now, he has attention![FONT=Verdana] The child that is getting bullied is the one that got suspended for the rest of the school year. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Please any advice! They are putting their house up for sell to move to a smaller district. This child feels like he has really messed up everything for his family and is know that more depressed. They're getting help for the whole family, but my question is why is the school not punishing the right kids? Are there any legal steps, to take like there is with IEP students?[/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]

Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,639,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjlgs View Post
Looking for some answers. My friends 14 yr old son is getting bullied at school, his parents have went and talked to the teachers, principal, school phys. and have not got anywhere; except a distraught child who feels like he is a failer. They're son went to school and once again dealt with a day of abuse and finally broke down and shouted out that he was going to kill this kid. Now, he has attention! The child that is getting bullied is the one that got suspended for the rest of the school year.
Please any advice! They are putting their house up for sell to move to a smaller district. This child feels like he has really messed up everything for his family and is know that more depressed. They're getting help for the whole family, but my question is why is the school not punishing the right kids? Are there any legal steps, to take like there is with IEP students?
Sad but true. The victims of bullying are usually the ones who get into trouble after they snap from being topped out after constant bullying.
What I do not understand is why this family is letting these bullies win?
I understand going to the Teacher, the principal and than the Pysc. but if this does not work I would go to the district with any documentation I had regarding meetings and the results.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,177 times
bullying sucks i get bullyed ON ALL THE TIME AND I HATE IT I WISH THEY WOULD ALL GO AWAY

Old 09-29-2009, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,177 times
and i personaly think that the peouple that do it witch is like everybody and i wish that they would all die because they are so mean if you were in my position you would be saying this to so dont even please

Old 09-29-2009, 10:22 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,736,031 times
My daughter did karate ending up with a blue belt before she got tired of it. At age 8 she won the city championship for her age group (which included boys). That was on the Saturday. On the Monday a couple of boys at her school decided that taking down the karate champion was the thing to do. They tried once but never again.

Martial arts is a great way to raise self-esteem and, if you ever actually need it, a very effective means of self defense.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,984,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3398 View Post
and i personaly think that the peouple that do it witch is like everybody and i wish that they would all die because they are so mean if you were in my position you would be saying this to so dont even please
Before you take matters into your own hands- get some help for your situation. If one teacher, coach, etc. doesn't listen, then tell someone else. You need to find out what kind of support system is available at your school- talk to your guidance counselor or school resource officer. It is their job to address this problem.

One of the best solutions that a 'victim' can do for themselves is to surround yourself with friends- the more people you are surrounded by, the less chance a bully would want to mess with you. Bullies tend to zero in on their 'targets' if they're alone and away from other people.

On a side note, I've been reading through this thread (I can see its a couple years old) and one thing people tend to forget is that in addition to working with the school, we should also address bullying issues with the child, themselves. It seems like we prefer to take a top-down approach to the issue rather than equipping the child with what he or she needs to do to protect, defend and stand up for themselves. Assertiveness is key but there are also some very simple, practical things one can do to help themselves (I've already mentioned one a few sentences ago).

Last edited by Prettygyrl777; 09-29-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,501,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
In one particularly difficult episode I cautioned the principal that if my son took matters into his owns hands (he knows how to throw a punch) I would absolutely reject any attempt by the administration to discipline him.

I encourage you to advise your relative to hold the school administration accountable and force them into doing their job. If not, they should escalate to the next level.
I TOTALLY agree with this... only have your attorney draw up a letter stating this, addressing the principal and perhaps the head of the district (whoever your lawyer may recommend should receive it).

Old 07-10-2010, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,244 times
How about this? When I was in 2nd grade (45 years ago), a whole class of 20 boys would attack me at every recess. I found out later that they chose me because I was the "biggest kid at recess." After several weeks of standing against a tree at every recess to avoid being tackled out in the open, I was grabbed by a teacher who told me that I was always in the middle of a fight! I was sent in from recess and began crying. My teacher stood up for me and the bullying ended. Some of those antagonists went on to become good friends of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or