Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:50 AM

504 posts, read 1,763,979 times

Advertisements

I do not understand how some children always seem to be the ones that are picked on or singled out. Often these children are picked on by more than one person.
Teaching a child self confidence and the ability to handle themselves in threatening situations is a must and often it needs to be done professionally
Letting the school know and the parents should be done also.
My oldest daughter is/was tiny She had trouble once with a large boy, bullies are cowards, she grabbed hold by his shirt and took him to the boys room and let him know if he bothers any more girls she will embarrass him further, all the kids laughed at him. She was the one that got in trouble at school, not severely and not with me. My daughters were taught at an early age how to defend themselves and to stand up to these creeps and as adults they put up with no disrespect.
Some people stay victims all thier lives, oh poor me type, time to teach self defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 08:02 PM

428 posts, read 2,439,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
The parents are better off teaching the kid how to deal with it. There will always be bullies, in childhood and adult life. You can't sue them all. Why doom the child to forever play the role of victim?
Because effectively dealing with a bully sometimes, after other methods have failed, involves physical violence, which the schools do not allow. They have taken away the best tool for dealing with them, and put nothing in as a replacement.

You can deal w/an adult jerk verbally and most times that works, but a school-age bully is usually too dumb to be deterred that way.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,444 times
Default The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Tree

In my experience, a teenage girl had physically assaulted my daughter. The assault was followed by monthes of verbal abuse, profanity, and intimidation.

I called the parents a few weeks before it turned physical askng for their help. They did nothing. About a month after the assault my daughter was at the mall visiting with friends when they ran into the other girl with her mother.

Not only did the girl's mother not use discretion and walk away. Together they approached my daughter and her friends. Not surprisingly, the 'mother' said "You better watch this one (pointing to my daughter) she's a little *****.

So I guess the lesson to be learned is that as parents, some of you actually are practicing what you preach.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,444 times
Default Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
The parents are better off teaching the kid how to deal with it. There will always be bullies, in childhood and adult life. You can't sue them all. Why doom the child to forever play the role of victim?
There are all kinds of children, some strong and some weak. I would hope that we had evolved beyond "survival of the fitest". I think from an early age we need to teach our children about tolerance for all kinds of people. Not every child wakes up in a squeaky clean warm house with their parents in the next room.

So, the children are doing what they can with what they have. Many of them have poor self esteem. As parents it is criminal to teach your children that 'your way is the only way'. That the 'have nots' have any less right to be here than the 'haves'.

The bullies may have the upper hand as adolescents, but are in for a well deserved lesson in the real world.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:55 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,091 times
What I'd also like to add is this: If an adult assaulted one of us either once or regularly at our place of work and our employer did little or nothing to prevent it, instead explaining that "bullying happens" and that we had to "stop being weak" and "deal with it," I guarantee that many of us would sue both the employer and the assaulter.

In what occasionally rises to the level of a civilized society, we use the law to enact punishment rather than beating the crud out of someone.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Does the school have a "bully free" policy or has it won "bully free" awards from the district? Is the child being verbally harassed, or is something physical being done as well?

If it does, and you're getting nowhere with the principal and teachers, approach the superintendent. Let the super know that the next time the child comes home with a scratch or a bruise that wasn't there BEFORE school, you'll be calling the police, not the school. Take photos EVERYDAY. Use a camera phone... bruises always look worse on a camera phone.

If the bullying really warrants a lawsuit, screw the parents - threaten to sue the school for failing to provide a safe learning environment. First off, the school HAS to take such action seriously and second, the school district is run by the government and therefore has deeper pockets than some passive-aggressive parent.

Here's a thought as well: Most bullying occurs BEFORE school... when children are dropped off early, supervision is at a low and all grades are mingling together. If it's happening before school, then someone who actually cares about this child should be showing up in the morning and waiting with the kid until they walk into their classrooms.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:05 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
I didn't read this as I skimmed the thread, but have you considered talking with your local police department?

They may choose to talk with the parents with the child in place.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:04 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Get down to business and get a lawyer to write a letter to the principal, copy the couselor, Board of Education and Superintendent. You inform them of your intent to file suit against the school. See how quickly they act. And ask the lawyer if the parents can be included.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
A relative of mine is at wits end to stop the bullying of his son. The poor boy is constantly being bullied by a variety of other kids at school. The school officals and teachers are worthless and say they can not do anything unless someone sees it. They say the bullied boy is likely just making it all up. He is not.

Has there been any successful lawsuits by parents of kids who have been physically bullied against the parents of the boy who bullies? I am sure that the bullying would stop if the parents of the bullies were to face legal and financial jeopardy.
as far as i know its open season on children in public school systems.
the limit seems to be when they try to sexually assault female minors in schools but sadly this same protection is not afforded teachers. most discouraging, public schools, civil rights law is used to defend the uncivil. voucher system the sooner the better.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:14 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
My daughter has been having a problem with a kid in our neighborhood. I have told her to avoid him, but this kid keeps coming at her. It has recently escalated to him threatening to hit her with a two foot long stick up at the bus stop AND the day after that telling her he knows where her bedroom is and that he is going to take his Fathers gun and come to shoot her and I.

Well I have to say I am beyond being mad about this one. I have written the parents a letter which I will be mailing certified mail, I will be giving the SAME letter to the bus driver and the office with the county that deals with this. In my area, this kind of behavior is enough to get a kid kicked off the bus. I am also going to forward a copy to the principle (who knows me and doesn't want me back in his office) and the school counselor. It very well could end up getting placed in his permanent record.

I spoke to a neighbor who is retired law enforcement and since the kid threatened violence with a gun, the police will have NO CHOICE but to take down a report on the kid. Then once he is known to the police, call the police everytime you have a problem.

This kid was even yelling at and harrassing my daughter when I was outside with her. I have seen him walking home from the bus stop on the other side of the road, yelling at my daughter.

Of course I lost it and yelled back at the little jerk off and he finally stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting