U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:12 AM

14 posts, read 60,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
In Michigan "Friend of the Court" will take care of parental problems like this. They will schedule a hearing for the two parents, and your son could also look into a restraining order for grumpy gramps, might help put him in his place.

In any state a parent cannot "keep" the children away from a parent. Not right, and she needs some help understanding this concept and obviously some teaching of parental skills.

Good luck.
Cassy1: GREAT answer..."Friend of the Courts" is the BEST answer!!!! I am in the process of working with the CSED - "Friend of the Court" and they will not tolerate any kind of behavior stated in the individuals situation. Thank you, again!!! Cassy1 for the VALUABLE information.

P.S. Good Luck...and Thank yous go out to the Good Grandparents....there is HELP for your son..but he has to want to do something to get the HELP needed...and further more...the children do not know who or what they want at the age; you state your grandchildren are....

Last edited by happyinMI; 08-30-2007 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: miss used word not "are" correct "or"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
I am so, so sorry to hear this....
I've been trough hell and back concerning my child, my ex, courts....etc.
But, there are situations, the people involved, can not fix!
Some one else HAS to lay out the guidelines....and THAT'S when the courts come in.
In rare cases, depending on the "willingness" of the individuals, a mediation conference can be achieved with the help of a laywer or judge.
But, knowing now, it very, very rarely works out....
I think, the situation has gone already to the point, where it's out of control, and affecting the child....THAT NEEDS TO STOP IMMEDIATELY!
I see no other way, in the best interest of the child, as well as the dad's, to retain a lawyer immediately, and go to court. Time is of importance, to keep the bond to the child intact, and not traumatize the child any further.
Child support and visitation are two completely different things.
Financial support for the child is the responsibility of the both parents, and nobody else.
But visitation is a "priviledge", as well as having the "right" to have access to your child for some individuals (by courts determination!)
Nobody can "teach" a parent to take on responsibility, nor the task of "being a good parent".......(Some just gladly pay support, and not wanting anything to do with their child, like in my case )
I wish you tons of luck...pm me anytime.
P.S. If finances are an issue in retaining a lawyer, please look up the "Bar" (laywers) and get contact info for legal aid.
MovingBack2PA; good bit of information...but do remember that finding a Lawyer isn't as easy as closing your eyes pointing at the telephone directory and wherever your finger lands that is the Lawyer of choice...be VERY careful...that the Lawyer is not just MILKING you for your money...(being that it sounds like the financial aspect is EXTREMELY limited). Lawyers are like Salesman & Politicians...they will say what you want to HEAR...so I would try to "Friend of the Court" first -(if your State provides one or CSED (Child Support Enforcement Division); then if they are unable to assist you...write to your Congressman...or State Senator...after all you did VOTE for them...

Thank you MovingBack2PA...and Best of Luck to you, too...sounds like you have allot of knowledge and we all can learn and use that knowledge to our benefit. Have a Nice Day

Old 08-30-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcop View Post
Child support and vsitation are separated issues. From what I have read neither has been court ordered as of yet. When the parents are not married, the mother automaticly has full custody. Until there is a court order your son has no visitation rights. Try looking up the local chapter of "Divorced Dads" for legal advice and recommendations on attorneys.

Unfortunatly, your son needs an attorney, period. Find one that specializes in father rights, in the end the money will be worth it. Good luck.
crashcop....You have stated: "When the parents are not married, the mother automaticly has full custody. Until there is a court order your son has no visitation rights." I have to totally disagree with you...first we don't know if they have "LIVED TOGETHER" ... so then you have what is called "COMMON LAW MARRIAGE" - different states have different amount of "living together" also known as "common law marriage". For example..Colorado's Common Law Marriage has requirement such as: "Although the time frame is not defined, you have to be together for a significant period of time." with that being said...He does HAVE rights...sorry to say...

Just a friendly acknowledgment of the "common law marriage" information. Thank you!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,275 times
need help or advise lawyer judge and exhusanb all together haven t seen my daughter for a year .They keep making me go to court 14hrs away from my home town.I cant afford a lawyer and i dont know my legal rights

Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM

2,766 posts, read 8,840,570 times
even if he wasn't able to pay support it wouldnt mean she could WITHHOLD the children from him.
Child support and visitation are two separate things in court.

Get a lawyer and go to court to get an agreement, then, very likely the kids can come to him.
The 4 year old should even be able to have a sleepover at his dads once a week.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 AM

821 posts, read 1,757,406 times
its really not that hard go to COURT! with an attorney preferably if not it ok - you can fill out the forms for an order for visititation where it plainly states in writing... what days your son is entitled to visitiation... and if they dont let him take the kids... you call the police. The have to enforce a court order. Then once a couple of police reports are done you can then go back to Court...

Old 11-25-2011, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,640 times
i have sole custody of my 2 year old,and the father has visitation, the first saturday he worked i kept my child till he got off of work and he had his full visitation, he is working sat again and this time he told me to take her to the courthouse and hand her over to his girlfriend and the police knew about it and the police told me that i had to do it or i could be charged with kidnapping. he has also moved without giving me an address written, or verbal, i have only his last address and he is no longer living there, and the parenting and court orders say he is suppossed to have it in writing and the police say that is okey, because he can stay anywhere he wants. please help

Old 11-25-2011, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,640 times
Default confused

i have sole custody of my 2 year old,and the father has visitation, the first saturday he worked i kept my child till he got off of work and he had his full visitation, he is working sat again and this time he told me to take her to the courthouse and hand her over to his girlfriend and the police knew about it and the police told me that i had to do it or i could be charged with kidnapping. he has also moved without giving me an address written, or verbal, i have only his last address and he is no longer living there, and the parenting and court orders say he is suppossed to have it in writing and the police say that is okey, because he can stay anywhere he wants. please help. the girlfriend has a charge in court now for forging checks on one of his friends where they used to live the last place they were with the child.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:39 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,967,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maud 65 View Post
i have sole custody of my 2 year old,and the father has visitation, the first saturday he worked i kept my child till he got off of work and he had his full visitation, he is working sat again and this time he told me to take her to the courthouse and hand her over to his girlfriend and the police knew about it and the police told me that i had to do it or i could be charged with kidnapping. he has also moved without giving me an address written, or verbal, i have only his last address and he is no longer living there, and the parenting and court orders say he is suppossed to have it in writing and the police say that is okey, because he can stay anywhere he wants. please help. the girlfriend has a charge in court now for forging checks on one of his friends where they used to live the last place they were with the child.
It was my understanding that, if there is no court order, you can't be charged with kidnapping and neither can he. If either one of you decides to keep the child and not return him or her, and the other one calls the police, they will tell you there's nothing they can do and to go to court. I would think it would take a court order and a mutual agreement to decide to drop your child off at a police station with a stranger. I don't really know what to tell you, not knowing if this is an ex boyfriend or husband, and if any court ordered visitation is in place. I would advise you to check the laws in your state (with a lawyer, not a police officer.) And if you feel uncomfortable about your ex's living arrangements and/or his girlfriend, see if you can maybe arrange mediation or court ordered visitation that you both agree on, and keep your child with you until then.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
My brother is trying to get custody of his son or just visitation rights without having to spend alot of money on a attorney,just like weekend visitation rights.hes never been married,doesnt have any criminal record or anything.the mother is just being ugly towards him n will not let him see his son for no reason but because he has a new girlfriend.he calls every single day at least 3times but she plays games by not letting him talk to him on the phone.or leavin him on hold for 20 mins.or just not answerin txt messages or his calls period.who can he call?this is ridiculous,he is desperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or