U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2010, 02:18 PM

968 posts, read 1,087,112 times
this is a very somber thread.

my brother in law has a PhD, comes from a family of doctors and lawyers, and is a very direct and assertive 38~ year old man (read: hes arrogant)

I'm 24 and while i was in the car, and he was correcting me about technical terminology i was using to describe things, his 5 year old son said from the back seat "I can understand him dad, why can't you?"

i felt vindicated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 03:05 PM

13,569 posts, read 14,794,553 times
I don't know if my kid's have ever said anything profound, at least nothing I can remember. However, in an attempt to bring some brevity to the thread I remember the first complete sentence my son ever spoke at just over 2 years old.

It was Christmas morning and at some point in the night I had ended up sleeping in my son's bed with him because he kept getting up. We woke up and he looked out the window at the snow that had fallen (White Christmas FTW).

I turned to him and said, "Bubba (my nickname for him since birth), do you think Santa came?"

He thought for a mintue looked at me and said, "Santa, he has elves."

I couldn't stop laughing because of the look on his face, it was like he figured out some great mystery of the universe or something.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:39 PM

6,516 posts, read 13,497,270 times
My buddy is a single dad with three children.
The daughter was 15 and wanting a car soon, he told her no. A few days goes by and she tells him she now understands that money is tight as mom left them. He is pleased and happy she is understanding. She then tells him if he was to get a new wife he would have more money and could buy her a car. ???

Old 06-25-2010, 04:49 PM

3,201 posts, read 5,815,849 times
My then 6 year old was starting to read and noticed the "made in China" sticker on a lot of his toys. He then went on a mission to look at everything to see if it said made in China. Noting that almost everything did he said, "Why do we keep buying everything from China? We are going to give them all our money and then this country will have nothing left."

Old 06-25-2010, 05:06 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,823,202 times
While flying on a plane above Yosemite one day, a child seated next to me said: "I can't believe people still don't believe there's a god after flying in a plane and seeing all that He has created."

Old 06-25-2010, 07:09 PM

1,916 posts, read 5,358,549 times
To lighten the mood, I remember 2. 6 years ago, when my son was 3, he and his father were taking a plane ride. They were sitting next to an elderly lady who had some sickness that made her constantly shake/tremble. As they were getting off the plane, after a two hour flight, he turned to the lady and said to her "lady, why do you do this?" and then he started shaking. My husband was mortified, and the lady turned and said "what did you say dear". Luckily, my son had a profound speech disability in the articulation aspect, and she probably didn't understand him!

Last year, I had gained about 30 pounds. I teach first grade, and was visiting a 3rd grade teacher's classroom, while she had students in there. Some of these students were original first graders at our school. On of the students was actually the son of a teacher there. He sees me and says "Hi Mrs.XX". I said hi back. Then he says, mind you, in front of the whole class, "Mrs. XX, are you pregnant?". So I honestly told him, "No C, I'm just fat this year". And then I let his mother know exactly what he said- playing around, not mad at all, but I had to tease her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting