U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 AM
 
6,550 posts, read 12,641,493 times
Reputation: 3153

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I didn't say that was the case in this particular case, even though it looks like a slight majority support the ruling and an even bigger majority believes the use of physical force by others such as teachers should be outlawed. However, I believe government bodies still have that right in order to protect people such as children in this case. I don't see any positive about spanking, but I understand that there are those who oppose that. The United Nations Committee on the Rights of a Child asked Canada to remove this law and I certainly agree with that.

And no I'm not for silly things like removing competitve games in school.
That's cool.... Had to throw that in there as I was on a roll...

Anyway, to me the point is that it would stand to reason that we need to produce a majority of studies that state unequivocally that spanking as a disciplinary tool is, in fact, harmful to children.

Again, if a kid consistently shows up in the doctor's office or is seen with marks and bruises then hell yeah!!!! Go have a talk with the parents!!!! But for the government to invade my home and tell me I can't discipline my children in a fashion that has been acceptable and effective for thousands of years is simply over-stepping thier boundaries.

Why not tell parents with children that they aren't allowed to smoke in thier own homes??? Seems that is MUCH more harmful to children and there is no study on Earth that I know of that states any benefit from it whatsoever....

I mean to spank or not to spank is a matter of opinion and personal preference. Any parent that believes in it as a disciplinary tool knows where the line is between abuse and discipline.

Are we going to have the government mandate that all mothers must breastfeed now because studies have shown that it may be more beneficial than feeding an infant with formula??? Should it be considered abuse to deprive your child of that boost to the immune system that studies say comes from breast feeding???

There's a whole band of child-rearing Nazis out there that want to tell everyone which way is the "right way" to raise kids and frankly I can't stand it anymore. I pray that the U.S. Government doesn't get overrun by them anytime soon.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2007, 05:32 PM
 
646 posts, read 1,639,047 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
That's cool.... Had to throw that in there as I was on a roll...

Anyway, to me the point is that it would stand to reason that we need to produce a majority of studies that state unequivocally that spanking as a disciplinary tool is, in fact, harmful to children.

Again, if a kid consistently shows up in the doctor's office or is seen with marks and bruises then hell yeah!!!! Go have a talk with the parents!!!! But for the government to invade my home and tell me I can't discipline my children in a fashion that has been acceptable and effective for thousands of years is simply over-stepping thier boundaries.

Why not tell parents with children that they aren't allowed to smoke in thier own homes??? Seems that is MUCH more harmful to children and there is no study on Earth that I know of that states any benefit from it whatsoever....

I mean to spank or not to spank is a matter of opinion and personal preference. Any parent that believes in it as a disciplinary tool knows where the line is between abuse and discipline.

Are we going to have the government mandate that all mothers must breastfeed now because studies have shown that it may be more beneficial than feeding an infant with formula??? Should it be considered abuse to deprive your child of that boost to the immune system that studies say comes from breast feeding???

There's a whole band of child-rearing Nazis out there that want to tell everyone which way is the "right way" to raise kids and frankly I can't stand it anymore. I pray that the U.S. Government doesn't get overrun by them anytime soon.....
As with everything, things can be taken way too far - zero tolerance is a perfect example of that, so I agree with you that everything shouldn't be mandated by a small group of people who believe their way of raising someone is the only right way.

You make a good analogy with the smoking issue because like you said, nobody can argue that second-hand smoking would be good for any child. I believe there are some states that have raised this issue though and not allowing parents to smoke in cars with children but I may be mistaken.

The problem I and many others have with spanking is that it's intentionally hurting someone else physically. I don't think it's just a matter of personal opinion because I don't think there is a line between simply spanking and abuse. I believe that we have progressed more than having to use physical force to enforce discipline. It wouldn't exactly be appropriate for me to hit a subordinate at work just to instill discipline in the workplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 PM
 
25,084 posts, read 13,946,422 times
Reputation: 41741
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
OTTAWA, June 19, 2007 (LifeSiteNews.com) - In response to a debate on spanking that took place yesterday before the Senate Committee of Human Rights (SCHR), the Institute of Marriage and Family Canada (IMFC) presented a research report indicating their disapproval of the proposed new legislation.

The debated bill, S-207, would take out Section 43 of the Criminal Code (allowing spanking), thereby forbidding parents to spank their children, effectively making it criminal behaviour.

The IMFC report begins by outlining some of the evidence in favour of spanking. After Sweden outlawed it in 1979, for example, links were established between the new policy and a rise in violence. While last year, Dr. Jane Millichamp of the University of Otago in New Zealand released a study that examined 1000 children over 30 years. The study concluded, "Punishing children by spanking does not make them more aggressive or anti-social as adults." Many other past and recent studies have reached similar conclusions.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2007/jun/07061901.html
I didn't know people still had the right to spank their children is America not to mention in other countries. I know of a lot of cases where parents have been turned into criminals for spanking their children. I don't mean abusing...I mean spanking for the purpose of discipline. I guess part of the problem is there is no clear consistant and standard definition of "abuse" or "discipline" Discipline has become a very complicated issue. I just hope our children will survive and thrive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2007, 12:47 AM
 
Location: here at the the present time, but on my way to heaven to meet my Criator
45 posts, read 175,838 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
Why would anyone one hit something smaller than themselves is beyond me. You teach a child to hit and they hit. Would you kick a little dog?
Canada probably knows that spanking often gets out of hand and has been proven to do no good as a discipline tool.
Not true.It is a great discipline tool. It kept me on line. I am an adult today and I am not agressive.And I thank God for the great mother I had.I do not hit people today because my mother spanked me.Growing up I never got into any kind of trouble.NEVER. My mother did not expect us to behave a certain way, she demanded it.Out of 11 children,11 adults well adjusted.How is that? You are right, it is wrong to kick a little dog,but it has nothing to do with discipline of a child. Believe me a child Knows the parent is right. I did not like the spanking at the time , no child likes it, but I knew I was wrong.And more, her ways kept my brother out of jail. When he was a pre teen he stole something from a neighbor, when my mom came back from work, she heard of it. Guess what he got? A SPECIAL VERY SPECIAL SPANKING. She took him to the neighbor's house, he had to return it and apologize, and to put icing on the cake he was punished for a long time by not being able to play. He is a grandfather today and says that the spanking he recivied as a child was a saving one. It was just a silly child thing that could have turned into a habit if he got away with it.HE NEVER DID IT AGAIN. TO THIS DAY. Now I want to tell 2 police stories.1- An officer in NY responding to a 911 call from a teen complaining of the spanking he had just got from his father, after he heard from the father the reason for it, he told the young man: If more parents did just that, they (the police) would not have to deal with so many juvenile delinquency.He was luck to have the father he had.2-My friend from Louisiana told me that one day her father , spanked her brother on the spot, outside their home, for something wrong the boy did, a police officer driving by scolded him,and her father respectfully just answered: I am spanking him today, so you don't have to do it tomorrow. The officer drove away. There is a great difference between abuse and discipline.And children know the difference.As well as adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Penobscot Bay, the best place in Maine!
1,891 posts, read 5,161,463 times
Reputation: 2632
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
so how can the government invade one's home and say "no" you cannot use spanking as a tool to raise and discipline your kids???
Likely in the same way that you can no longer beat your wife if she does something to displease you. Society is changing it's norms all the time, as better methods of functioning with frustration are instilled, and people learn more about interacting with each other, more about psychology and the way that brains and relationships develop- to hold on to spanking as a routine parenting tool/method is quite archaic, given the fact that you can't assault another adult (unless in self-defense) as you do a child when you spank them. Spanking is not usually the best method of discipline, and IMNSHO, it is the laziest and most unintelligent and unloving form of discipline a parent can administer. And if it doesn't hurt, as many of you claim, then why do it at all? Why not spank a pillow while yelling at the kid? Would make about as much sense, wouldn't it? Unless it's more about domination than correction, in which case I guess hitting the kid (or making them fear being hit) would be the route to go to get the result you want...


I find it odd that you (any parent) can do something to your child legally that I would be arrested for if I (as a stranger) did it exactly the same way.. and the only difference in the act is DNA or custodial documents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top