Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,582,793 times

Advertisements

I was not aware that the law did not cover places of public assembly such as malls. Mainly because every mall I have been to in the past 6 months has accomodations for breastfeeding mothers and the ones I have actually seen were definitely not "a chair next to a toilet". If you're ever in Cherry Hill, NJ check out the mother's room in Neiman Marcus at the mall. You'll never want to breastfeed in your own home again, lol.

As for babies who didn't take bottles, I find it weird since all three of mine had no problem switching back and forth. It was told to us by the lactation consultant that we should introduce the bottle after the first two weeks once the baby has learned what to do with the breast and all of our's had no issues going back and forth. I've heard that it isn't always easy, but that it can be done.

Additionally if the benefits of breastfeeding are truly related to the components of breast milk and not just the interaction, then certainly expressing and then bottle feeding provide equal benefits to actual breastfeeding and frees up a lot of time for mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,683,690 times
Being mostly women here, it's easy for breastfeeding women to get on their high horse and trumpet that they have every right to bare themselves in front of anybody and everybody, but reality is, it's shameful in real life and in public. MOST people can see that.

Let's look at breastfeeding in the mall:

Men and boys of all ages roam malls. Husbands and grandfathers roam malls. Teenage boys and little boys roam malls.

What is to be gained by exposing your nakedness to those male people who are everywhere around you? Are you so proud of youself that you think any one of them would be impressed either with your bosom, or your ability to feed like an animal in public? Sure, it's natural. Animalistic natural. Sure, it's natural, if you live in a barn or in the woods.

Has it occurred to any of you that some of us women would rather our husbands and sons not see your breast? Sure, it's natural, do you want to open a smorgasboard and offer it to everyone?

Did it dawn on any of you that we would rather our sons not view your breast at the mall? Or anywhere else for that matter? Some of us would like that kind of education be done in the privacy of our homes and in our own way and time, NOT YOURS. IT ISN'T UP TO YOU TO DECIDE THAT OUR BOYS AND MEN BE EDUCATED ON YOUR ANIMAL INSTINCT AT THE MALL.

We who are opposed to breastfeeding out where everyone can see should carry a bail of straw around, and when we see someone breastfeeding (You know, the ANIMAL and NATURAL way to feed.) should offer some bedding in the event you would also like to take a nap.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
That break time is unpaid, so no, not another reason.
I'm not going to get into the pay inequalities, because I feel it is a real issue, above and beyond this.

However, if said employee is salary than there is no such thing as unpaid break time. In this instance, two salaried employees, one a man and one a woman taking home equal salaries, the woman will have essentially worked less time for the same pay, hence raising her effective hourly rate.

I'm not against the law in anyway and most companies I have worked for already made this allowance and provided facilities. What I am against in some ways is that very few concessions if any are made for working fathers who also bear a burden and need to walk the line of work and family.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,171,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As for babies who didn't take bottles, I find it weird since all three of mine had no problem switching back and forth. It was told to us by the lactation consultant that we should introduce the bottle after the first two weeks once the baby has learned what to do with the breast and all of our's had no issues going back and forth. I've heard that it isn't always easy, but that it can be done.
That's great that all of yours did but that does not mean that all babies will.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,200,014 times
Quote:
I was not aware that the law did not cover places of public assembly such as malls. Mainly because every mall I have been to in the past 6 months has accomodations for breastfeeding mothers and the ones I have actually seen were definitely not "a chair next to a toilet". If you're ever in Cherry Hill, NJ check out the mother's room in Neiman Marcus at the mall. You'll never want to breastfeed in your own home again, lol.
I've been there, actually (I am from NYC, and lived in Clifton NJ for a few years). Neiman Marcus and Nordstroms make wonderful accommodations. However, this isn't a widespread trend, unfortunately. Even in newer malls in my current area - no real place for nursing mothers to go other than public benches in a mall.

Quote:
My child can take a bottle - I'm pretty lucky. However, the other problem is that sometimes, the baby will prefer the bottle over the nipple if he bottle-feeds too often. If you think breastfeeding is inconvenient, and bottle feeding time-consuming - try pumping for every last feeding. Even for those women who DO this, its tricky to maintain supply this way.

Quote:
Additionally if the benefits of breastfeeding are truly related to the components of breast milk and not just the interaction, then certainly expressing and then bottle feeding provide equal benefits to actual breastfeeding and frees up a lot of time for mom.
Trust me, pumping does NOT free up time, haha. Factor in cleaning the pump parts after every use, plus the bottle parts, plus that pumping takes 2-3x longer than an efficient breastfeeding baby.... I pump 3x a day at work, and even with a top of the line pump, it's a 20 minute process or greater. My baby feeding, from start to finish, takes about ten minutes, doesn't need a bottle to be warmed/thawed (AND, keep in mind, as soon as you freeze/thaw breastmilk, it loses some of its nutritional content - not to mention some women have lipase issues with their milk)....

Old 06-29-2010, 12:34 PM

2,714 posts, read 5,348,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
It's also pretty selfish to expect mothers to hide themselves away every time their babies need to nurse. I don't know why people are so offended by babies breastfeeding. That is how babies eat. Plain and simple.
I don't think hidden away is a good description. People are not "hidden away" when they use the toilet. It's just a normal, natural, bodily function that sometimes cannot wait. That does not mean that one should drop trou and pee in the nearest garbage can if the urge hits and there's a line outside the bathroom. I'm not equating breastfeeding to peeing and I just know that this will be misconstrued by some but whatever.

It's about realizing that some people may be uncomfortable with it and when sharing a public space, taking that into consideration. The "you go to hell, my kid gets whatever he wants and I don't care how you feel about it" attitude of some people (one very obvious one in this thread) typical of the attitude held by some that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want with no consideration whatsoever given to those around them.

I'm not against breastfeeding if done discreetly, but have seen countless occasions in malls, etc., where mothers get very theatrical and dramatic in their preparation as if they are just dying for people to see them and say something.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
We who are opposed to breastfeeding out where everyone can see should carry a bail of straw around, and when we see someone breastfeeding (You know, the ANIMAL and NATURAL way to feed.) should offer some bedding in the event you would also like to take a nap.
ROFLMAO

Can't say I agree with it 100%, but it definitely made me laugh.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:37 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,200,014 times
Quote:
I'm not going to get into the pay inequalities, because I feel it is a real issue, above and beyond this.

However, if said employee is salary than there is no such thing as unpaid break time. In this instance, two salaried employees, one a man and one a woman taking home equal salaries, the woman will have essentially worked less time for the same pay, hence raising her effective hourly rate.

I'm not against the law in anyway and most companies I have worked for already made this allowance and provided facilities. What I am against in some ways is that very few concessions if any are made for working fathers who also bear a burden and need to walk the line of work and family.
I am salaried. I take a shorter lunch to accommodate one pumping session, and come in before the break of dawn to accommodate the other two. I work my eight-hour day, same as everyone else.

I would be all for accommodating working fathers as well. However, with the exception of pumping (which I don't think husbands could do ), what are women getting that men are being deprived of?

Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,171,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I don't think hidden away is a good description. People are not "hidden away" when they use the toilet. It's just a normal, natural, bodily function that sometimes cannot wait. That does not mean that one should drop trou and pee in the nearest garbage can if the urge hits and there's a line outside the bathroom. I'm not equating breastfeeding to peeing and I just know that this will be misconstrued by some but whatever.

It's about realizing that some people may be uncomfortable with it and when sharing a public space, taking that into consideration. The "you go to hell, my kid gets whatever he wants and I don't care how you feel about it" attitude of some people (one very obvious one in this thread) typical of the attitude held by some that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want with no consideration whatsoever given to those around them.

I'm not against breastfeeding if done discreetly, but have seen countless occasions in malls, etc., where mothers get very theatrical and dramatic in their preparation as if they are just dying for people to see them and say something.
Yes but people don't pee and poop in public. People do eat in public.

I have never seen a women in public make a scene about breastfeeding. I've never seen so much as a flash of nipple. What I generally see is a Mom holding her baby up to her chest. It's usually pretty hard to even tell what they are doing. I also have never met a women who was dying for people to see her breastfeed. Never.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I think thats a good point. If you have ever seen the baby episode of "The Office". Pam is outside of the hospital. More or less in the hospital entrance way while Jim goes to get the car and she still puts on her feeding apron(if thats what its called) to feed. And thats probably the one place that I might see it acceptable to just "whip it out". (yes I know its a TV show but I think it makes a good point)

Where as I have been in malls and seen full boob hanging out. Meanwhile the mom's 2 other kids are running around like lunatics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting