U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:43 AM

25,455 posts, read 23,273,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawson26 View Post
I have to disagree with some of the posts. Yeah their backyard belongs to them but the problem is the noise doesn't STAY in the backyard. Why should I put up with behavior from people's kids that I wouldn't tolerate from their dogs or the adults? Special accomodations are always being made for people and their kids and it gets old. YOU had them because you wanted them but they should effect YOUR life not MINE. Most of our neighbors over the years have been responsible about controlling their children but I have lived next to some horrors! Some of the posters seem to think that the answer is I should have to move or shut up. Once again, how is that fair? I paid for my house and taxes etc too! And by the way I pay even more taxes for schools I don't use and the people who have kids and use them get tax breaks! HUH? What is wrong with expecting people not to infringe on MY rights? Don't I have the right to sit in my own home and not hear my neighbor's kids SCREAMING? Not to mention be in MY backyard without earplugs! You can have kids and let them play and enjoy themselves outside without saying "to heck with the neighbors they must just hate kids." I know it can be done because I have a nephew who can do it. When he comes to visit me he knows to be quiet outside (I have an elderly neighbor on one side and a grave shift worker on the other) and if he gets loud he comes INSIDE so he is at least only driving me crazy. It seems to me most parents (mine included) don't want to hear all of that which is why they send the kids outside in the first place. Well I don't want to hear it either and at the risk of being called a "child hater" I would just ask that those of you who have kids to try to remember that although they are cute and wonderful and the best thing ever to YOU, they don't get a free pass to disrupt OTHER grownups lives.

We don't hate your kids but to most of us that don't have them the noise is as pleasant as a dog that won't stop barking or a car alarm that keeps going off. They are YOUR little darlings so please feel free to be selfish and keep the joy all to yourselves.
Can't agree with you more...and I'm going to add...I understand your not simply talking about normal kids that play and have fun, a little screaming, a little noise...but there are complete other ends of the spectrum which is not only annoying, but simply bad parenting and bad kids...who do not care about the privacy of others...

And yeah...we played just like any other kid, and there were over 20 kids in our neighborhood...but I tell you true, we didn't have any bad kids. They were taught to be respectful of all the neighbors. There was a time to scream and a time not to scream...or be loud...and we knew it...it was just the way things were...I remember my parents saying in a very loud and disturbed whisper..."Keep your voices down" your going to wake up Mr. so and so who works second shift"

so yeah, it's a whole different world...and granted...those who don't understand that we're not talking about the normals stuff kids do...we're talking about the exteme annoyance....that goes on all day and into the late of night...and as a matter of fact, I've been on the phone and the person I'm talking to has commented..."What in the heck is that?" "ohhhh, just my neighbor's noisy kids"....

hey, I lived on a lake and there was nothing more satisfying to me, then those summer screams of play, from the kids in the lake. So, I know all about kids and playtime....

Clawson 26, I'm right there with ya!

When you purchase a home, that is just what it is...it's your sanctuary...your place away from all the noise of work, traffic, etc.

You pay taxes and then you die...so, within reason, you shouldn't have to put up with the neighbors loud mouth kids...music, and noise until all hours of the morning or night....

Everyone should be a little consciense of that, and no one should expect another person to move....

I'm talking within reason and extremes here....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 06-21-2007 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 12:39 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,310,880 times
Quote:
I have to disagree with some of the posts. Yeah their backyard belongs to them but the problem is the noise doesn't STAY in the backyard. Why should I put up with behavior from people's kids that I wouldn't tolerate from their dogs or the adults? Special accomodations are always being made for people and their kids and it gets old. YOU had them because you wanted them but they should effect YOUR life not MINE. Most of our neighbors over the years have been responsible about controlling their children but I have lived next to some horrors! Some of the posters seem to think that the answer is I should have to move or shut up. Once again, how is that fair? I paid for my house and taxes etc too! And by the way I pay even more taxes for schools I don't use and the people who have kids and use them get tax breaks! HUH? What is wrong with expecting people not to infringe on MY rights? Don't I have the right to sit in my own home and not hear my neighbor's kids SCREAMING? Not to mention be in MY backyard without earplugs! You can have kids and let them play and enjoy themselves outside without saying "to heck with the neighbors they must just hate kids." I know it can be done because I have a nephew who can do it. When he comes to visit me he knows to be quiet outside (I have an elderly neighbor on one side and a grave shift worker on the other) and if he gets loud he comes INSIDE so he is at least only driving me crazy. It seems to me most parents (mine included) don't want to hear all of that which is why they send the kids outside in the first place. Well I don't want to hear it either and at the risk of being called a "child hater" I would just ask that those of you who have kids to try to remember that although they are cute and wonderful and the best thing ever to YOU, they don't get a free pass to disrupt OTHER grownups lives.

We don't hate your kids but to most of us that don't have them the noise is as pleasant as a dog that won't stop barking or a car alarm that keeps going off. They are YOUR little darlings so please feel free to be selfish and keep the joy all to yourselves.
Perhaps you send this to your nephew...and also get a leash and muzzle for him too.

Tell me gang..when are kids suppose to play in the privacy of their own back yard? Summer is upon us..and as far as I am concerned..I find it joyful to see kids actually playing outside anymore and making mud pies...without scheduled playdates or zoned out in front of the TV.

Shall I complain to my neighbors too when hillbilly bob is drinking coors light and playing rock music in during the day too?

Come on wake up and smell the frappachino. (LOL)--get some sunlight and sunshine...drink juice boxes and and such. And no I dont have rose-colored glasses on. But on my property my rules goes... and like if anyone said that my kids need to be shushed esp OUTSIDE. I would laugh...Ummm isnt that what outside is for.

Do the posters that hate the kids here, not have Backyard BBQ's anymore..would you shush your rowdy grown up friends..or do they **** you off too?

And to compare children to dogs..well that is just pathetic.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
My yard and house is a romper room, kids, basketballs, toys everywhere, and its gr8, if the neighbours dont like it they should move, as I would tell my neighbors is they didnt like the noise.
Amen..although I dont have romper room in the house..my children are allowed to play outside and giggle laugh and what a concept... PLAY. I have never met a neighbor that would dare complain....we always choose family friendly neighbors..but then there is always those on or two adults who have not tolerance for kids..had them anyway..and I shudder to the think how they turned out.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:08 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
mom2gurls,
We will be having a backyard BBQ (again) this weekend. This time it is a crawfish boil (woo-hoo) and there will be adults and kids EVERYWHERE! Personally I think the smell a house or two over will be more offensive than any noise coming from our property, lol. But all of our neighbors will be here so whose to complain. At our old house on the culdesac the kids were outside playing ALL THE TIME! What with 14 girls all under 10 at the time on one small street. Us parents would sit outside and socialize till someone realized it was close to dinner time so we would all pitch in something and have an impromtu bbq. It was a BLAST! My kids have been having small parties all ready this summer w/ friends coming over. While one kid is away the other gets to invite about a dozen kids over to swim and play, cookout hotdogs and smores. They have had a blast! BTW, I have all kinds of smores variations if you'd like them. I do live in a family friendly area and about 1/2 the people in the neighborhood are retired (I thought I stepped into an AARP meeting at the first HOA, lol). But no one has complained about the little kids running around playing, riding their bikes, etc. Heck even us grownup kids have driveway get togethers and hangout after the kids are in bed.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
mom2gurls,
We will be having a backyard BBQ (again) this weekend. This time it is a crawfish boil (woo-hoo) and there will be adults and kids EVERYWHERE! Personally I think the smell a house or two over will be more offensive than any noise coming from our property, lol. But all of our neighbors will be here so whose to complain. At our old house on the culdesac the kids were outside playing ALL THE TIME! What with 14 girls all under 10 at the time on one small street. Us parents would sit outside and socialize till someone realized it was close to dinner time so we would all pitch in something and have an impromtu bbq. It was a BLAST! My kids have been having small parties all ready this summer w/ friends coming over. While one kid is away the other gets to invite about a dozen kids over to swim and play, cookout hotdogs and smores. They have had a blast! BTW, I have all kinds of smores variations if you'd like them. I do live in a family friendly area and about 1/2 the people in the neighborhood are retired (I thought I stepped into an AARP meeting at the first HOA, lol). But no one has complained about the little kids running around playing, riding their bikes, etc. Heck even us grownup kids have driveway get togethers and hangout after the kids are in bed.
Now THAT is awesome!!! That is exactly the way I would love my kids to grow up....even though we are wired up the wazoo with technology and such...I want my kids know what its like to actually play outside!

Old 06-21-2007, 01:31 PM

7,504 posts, read 15,964,820 times
My child would rather play outside than watch TV.
My friend with 11 kids restricts them all to one hour of family TV a day after homework and before dinner. Then its all outside play. That IMHO should be how it is. My kids are often over there playing too, they are loud as kids get, but its the way it should be.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:20 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,449,698 times
I think alot of these problems stem from the fact that yards in general are becoming smaller and smaller. Houses are crammed on top of one another and The neighborhood I grew up in in ohio had huge yards with short fences. Nowadays yards are surrounded by walls and huge privacy fences. Heaven forbid you get to know your neighbors and their CHILDREN. Foster some friendliness. Something is getting lost here. Growing up we played neighborhood tag and hide and seek through everyones yards yes even the yards that didn't have kids and nobody cared. Now if my kids tried to do that they would probably be shot or arrested for tresspassing. Alot of this situation could have been avoided before it escalated.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:25 PM

434 posts, read 1,561,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Perhaps you send this to your nephew...and also get a leash and muzzle for him too.

Tell me gang..when are kids suppose to play in the privacy of their own back yard? Summer is upon us..and as far as I am concerned..I find it joyful to see kids actually playing outside anymore and making mud pies...without scheduled playdates or zoned out in front of the TV.

Shall I complain to my neighbors too when hillbilly bob is drinking coors light and playing rock music in during the day too?

Come on wake up and smell the frappachino. (LOL)--get some sunlight and sunshine...drink juice boxes and and such. And no I dont have rose-colored glasses on. But on my property my rules goes... and like if anyone said that my kids need to be shushed esp OUTSIDE. I would laugh...Ummm isnt that what outside is for.

Do the posters that hate the kids here, not have Backyard BBQ's anymore..would you shush your rowdy grown up friends..or do they **** you off too?

And to compare children to dogs..well that is just pathetic.

First of all, it's easy to ignore someones rational argument and just scream "child hater child hater." I don't have to get a "leash and muzzle" for my nephew because he has been taught to be respectful of other people especially neighbors and adults. If your neighbor "Bob" is infringing on your peace and quiet in your own home or yard then you should absolutely complain. Would it be okay for "Bob" to stand in his own backyard and shout epithets? He is in his own yard...So you're saying it is ok for you to be annoyed by "Bob" but not for me to be annoyed by loud children ...hmmm I guess they get a free pass on manners and appropriate behavior with respect to other people's rights and feelings. What you forget about the "on my property my rules go" policy is that noise doesn't recognize your property line! I also don't have "rowdy" grownup friends but if I did and they were being rude to my neighbors and disrespecting their right to quiet and "sanctuary" then I would absolutely shush them or ask them to leave.

I also didn't compare children to dogs (what a cheap cheap shot) I was comparing noise of various kinds that can come unwelcome over the back fence.

My point was to try to remember that we have to share this ever shrinking world and a little respect for the people around you isn't too much to ask. Although I am aware that your little angels voices raised in laughter and squealing is music to your ears, I am simply saying maybe your neighbor doesn't feel the same way about YOUR children, and they have a right not to be disturbed by children running amuck.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
First of all, it's easy to ignore someones rational argument and just scream "child hater child hater." I don't have to get a "leash and muzzle" for my nephew because he has been taught to be respectful of other people especially neighbors and adults. If your neighbor "Bob" is infringing on your peace and quiet in your own home or yard then you should absolutely complain. Would it be okay for "Bob" to stand in his own backyard and shout epithets? He is in his own yard...So you're saying it is ok for you to be annoyed by "Bob" but not for me to be annoyed by loud children ...hmmm I guess they get a free pass on manners and appropriate behavior with respect to other people's rights and feelings. What you forget about the "on my property my rules go" policy is that noise doesn't recognize your property line! I also don't have "rowdy" grownup friends but if I did and they were being rude to my neighbors and disrespecting their right to quiet and "sanctuary" then I would absolutely shush them or ask them to leave.

I also didn't compare children to dogs (what a cheap cheap shot) I was comparing noise of various kinds that can come unwelcome over the back fence.

My point was to try to remember that we have to share this ever shrinking world and a little respect for the people around you isn't too much to ask. Although I am aware that your little angels voices raised in laughter and squealing is music to your ears, I am simply saying maybe your neighbor doesn't feel the same way about YOUR children, and they have a right not to be disturbed by children running amuck.
You know..your point would have been great, if it was stated in an appropriate fashion..yet it came of as rude, obnoxious and crude.

AS far as my example of billy bob...he doesnt live in my yard...our neighborhoood is extremely family friendly....But if said person did live there....

He could sing amazing grace in a rotten voice...his s property, his tax payments, his mortgage payments....heck hold a coors lite in his hand and all...and I wouldnt say a thing--other than..be merry...and probably giggle because clearly he wouldnt be allowed on the next installment of "american idol"

For the sake of arguement, and to get back the original posters comment....this was simple thread of a 5 and 11 year splashing around in a pool..and even the older generation didnt have a problem..but obviousely someone did.

Thank goodnes the charges were dropped. It would be shame to waste the taxpayers and the courts time or money.

Now lets all sing, hold hands start "Kumbaya my lord, kumbayaaaaa"

LOL.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:26 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,146,844 times
Quote:
But on my property my rules goes... and like if anyone said that my kids need to be shushed esp OUTSIDE. I would laugh...Ummm isnt that what outside is for.
I guess that depends on which side of your fence you live on, doesn't it? If you think it would be okay to let your children scream for hours on end, I would have a problem being your neighbor. I am not talking about normal play here, either. There are those girls (mostly) who tend to scream all of the time they are outside. I find that it does wear on my nerves to listen to constant (unneccesary) screaming. If nobody is dead or dying, there is little justification for children being that loud. The occasion shout of "You're It!" or "Geromino-o-o-!" is nothing to get worked up over, but the screeching? Ug.

Quote:
So anyone that's bothered by noise hates kids? That's quite a jump in logic, isn't it?

I have BBQs quite often through the summer (and for SuperBowl), and I would think the noise level might be called a murmer at best. Yes, if I had guests who were "rowdy", I would tell them to quiet down. I would like to think that I am a little old to have "rowdy" guests at any BBQ I would host, but I would do my damnest to control the noise if a few did get too loud. I have elderly neighbors across the street, and I wouldn't want my celebration to impose on their peace. I am from Maine, so maybe I am more neighborly than most, but I strive to be considerate and respectful of my neighbors.

If I had grown women come to a BBQ at my home and start screaming and screeching (at high-pitch) non-stop for hours, I would likely call the police myself.

I don't think all noise (or children- lol) should be banned, but I do think it's irresponsible of parents to assume that the actions (and sounds) of their children do not need to be at all respectful of their environment and surrounding populace- even while on their own property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or