U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:03 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,317,521 times

Advertisements

Very very interesting point indeed. Perhaps how close the houses buillt factors into play. I can see in boroughs where houses are on top of one another how people would be more sensitive. Or if houses are built farther apart, the tolerance level is better.

Perhaps in different parts of the country the parenting style is different. But since the original post has had their issue resolved...hope it worked out in the end--and the adults in the matter can communicate and create some boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 09:41 AM

7,507 posts, read 15,992,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I find that it does wear on my nerves to listen to constant (unneccesary) screaming. If nobody is dead or dying, there is little justification for children being that loud. The occasion shout of "You're It!" or "Geromino-o-o-!" is nothing to get worked up over, but the screeching? Ug.
I think there is. They are children. Children are immature by nature. They do things and dont think that the neighbors wont like it. Why ? Because theyre children.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:41 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,154,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think there is. They are children. Children are immature by nature. They do things and dont think that the neighbors wont like it. Why ? Because theyre children.
So it's okay for children to do anything they want to, even if it bothers someone else, just because they are children?
Yeah, that's a good principle of parenting right there....

If the noise assault were physical in nature, would you think of it differently? If the kids were throwing rocks onto a neighbors property, or squirting a neighbor with a SuperSoaker through the fence, should those neighbors excuse the bad behavior, too, "because theyre children"? Come on. Parents need to step up to the plate and teach their kids to be respectful of other people in their world. Yes, they are children, but they do not exist in a vaccum. Perhaps the parents already have hearing damage, or perhaps they are immune to it, but it doesn't some across as good parenting when they let it continue uncorrected, and to excuse it because they are children is irresponsible.

And I want to clarify that I am not talking about the normal amount of play noise- the kind I am talking about is ear-splitting screeching/screaming that is still, IMNSHO, unneccesary unless major bodily injury has occurred, or the house is burning down.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:10 PM

I love it when people take the literal translation of every single thing..and read much more into it than what it really is. Good for the court and the judge throwing this case out..it had no merrit.

Last edited by mom2gurls; 06-22-2007 at 02:20 PM..

Old 06-22-2007, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,085 times
I have 3 children and they are loud at times, but that is what kids do. When buying your homes you should see if the area has alot of children. If it does then there will be alot of noise. It is not fair to the kids to have be quiet when they are outside. When we were children (including those that have a problem with kids making alot of noise) we made alot of noise. Let the children have fun, join them sometimes.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt51763 View Post
I have 3 children and they are loud at times, but that is what kids do. When buying your homes you should see if the area has alot of children. If it does then there will be alot of noise. It is not fair to the kids to have be quiet when they are outside. When we were children (including those that have a problem with kids making alot of noise) we made alot of noise. Let the children have fun, join them sometimes.
Excellent! When families are looking they tell a realtor..we would like an area that is family friendly, with kids and such. Likewise if someone isnt tolerant with noise or prefers a quiet neighborhood, they should also look for such things.

No one is stopping you from moving into the area of your choosing. And before someone twists my words around into something that is utter nonsense or brings up some tangent example out of the blue--just make sure when you buy it suits your needs and tastes. Just because you found your dream home, doenst mean its going to be in a dream area. Everyone has the right to be picky where they live. Dont rush into it.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:33 PM

434 posts, read 1,563,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt51763 View Post
The problem is there is no such thing as a neighborhood with NO kids unless you are in a retirement community. They won't let us in yet...we asked!
There is a difference between making kids be completely quiet and allowing them to scream and squeal endlessly. It is a matter of degrees. My previous neighborhood was supposed to be a quiet one with all sorts of HMA rules about noise levels and quiet times etc. It even had a huge park in the center with pools swings etc. where kids could scream as loud as they wanted. But I still had to deal with my neighbors kids playing baseball in the street right behind my garage and shooting each other with the water hose and screaming all day. You could hear them clearly even inside my house with the TV and a fan on. Forget about gardening in my own backyard...you could hear the screaming with headphones on.

When I was a kid we lived out in the country and ran WILD. But when our nearest neighbor (1 1/2 miles away) complained to my Mom that our riding horses past his fence made his cow dogs go nuts she simply told us to ride in the ditch on the other side of the road until we passed his house. I suppose she could have told him it was a public road and to go ---- himself, my kids can do what they want... but we were raised to be "neighborly" and respectful of adults and other people's feelings in general. Why is it so hard to understand that the "do what you want and ----- anyone who doesn't like it attitude" is what is making kids such brats today. What do you think they will do when they grow up and get out into the real world and find out there really are rules you have to follow to get along with others. (In an office environment for example... you can't just play your radio as loud as you want because it is sitting on YOUR desk!) That is why I never mow or trim weeds until late afternoon. We have a neighbor right next door who works at night and has to sleep during the day. Is it sometimes inconvenient to wait until later to mow? Sure? Does it kill me to wait? Of course not, it's called being nice! (Learned how to do that from Mom too) Boy I bet he's glad I was raised by a Mom who taught me to be considerate of others! Of course I guess we could always just mow whenever and tell him to move if he doesn't like it.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:37 PM

110 posts, read 708,843 times
I haven't been in Bayville in years, but AFAIK the property sizes are still as small as they used to be -- which is mostly 1/4 acre or less. This means there's no buffer zone and very little privacy. A lot of the homes in Bayville were originally summer cottages on tiny lots.

The most typical property size on Long Island is either 1/4 or 1/3 acre. Even 1/3 acre isn't much when you're talking about swimming pool/outdoor activity noise levels. To get any kind of privacy you need to have at least 1/2 acre and to get 1/2 acre or more on LI you're talking about a house costing at least 600K. Often much more.

Someone said the swimming pool season on LI is only 2 months; not true. Most people open their pools on or just before Memorial Day weekend and leave them open till the end of September. So basically the "pool season" here is 4 months. Kids get out of school in mid-June so yes you have 6 weeks of all-day/every day pool use but there are still all those weekends plus afternoons after 3 pm during the other 2 months.

As to comparing the noise from kids having fun to adults having fun, IMHO that's apple and oranges. Yes, adults will have the occasional noisy BBQ or party or other event when they may be just as loud as the screaming-meemie kids in a pool. Operative word here is OCCASIONAL. No matter how loud the party is, odds are it's a one-time thing. Or maybe once a month. You know that sooner or later the party will be over and everyone will go home and peace will return. But if you've got neighbors with kids constantly creating a loud ruckus all the time they're outside, there's no light at the end of the tunnel. You know you're going to be hearing it tomorrow and the next day and the next and the next with no relief unless thank god its a rainy day!

As to buying in a family-friendly vs adult oriented neighborhood I agree 100%. But that's still no guarantee of what will happen down the road. Right now I'm lucky because (a) I have 1/2 acre and 2 sides of it is treed, (b) the neighbors in back of me and on both sides are my age (late 50s) with kids grown up and gone. And none of them have a swimming pool. So it's nice and quiet. But I know that at any moment one or all of them could put their house up for sale and it could be bought by a family with 6 kids who would put in a pool and turn the backyard into Sesame Place. Hopefully I will move before that happens!

Old 06-23-2007, 03:38 AM

7,507 posts, read 15,992,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
So it's okay for children to do anything they want to, even if it bothers someone else, just because they are children?
Yeah, that's a good principle of parenting right there....

If the noise assault were physical in nature, would you think of it differently? If the kids were throwing rocks onto a neighbors property, or squirting a neighbor with a SuperSoaker through the fence, should those neighbors excuse the bad behavior, too, "because theyre children"? Come on. Parents need to step up to the plate and teach their kids to be respectful of other people in their world. Yes, they are children, but they do not exist in a vaccum. Perhaps the parents already have hearing damage, or perhaps they are immune to it, but it doesn't some across as good parenting when they let it continue uncorrected, and to excuse it because they are children is irresponsible.

And I want to clarify that I am not talking about the normal amount of play noise- the kind I am talking about is ear-splitting screeching/screaming that is still, IMNSHO, unneccesary unless major bodily injury has occurred, or the house is burning down.
Were in the world did i say its OK for children to do anything they want ? Read before you reply.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:28 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,154,330 times
I did read what you wrote. I had written:
Quote:
If nobody is dead or dying, there is little justification for children being that loud.
And you responded directly to that statement with the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
and so I concluded from what you wrote that you think that excessive noise (and other things kids do that might bother others/neighbors) is justified simply because they are children. I apologize if I misinterpreted your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or