U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-30-2010, 08:24 PM

3,435 posts, read 909,775 times
Default Question for the moms

Before I had kids I used to put alot of time and effort into my appearance. I now have 3 kids 7 and under. I used to take 30 minutes to do my make-up and 1 hour on my hair. Now I spend 5 minutes on make-up and 20 minutes on my hair. I don't know why but I just don't care as much about how I look. I don't know if its due to sheer exhaustion or stress of the fact that my appearance is now trivial since my children are my top priority.
Is this the same for you? When your children got older did you focus on your appearance again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Status: "How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same?" (set 15 hours ago)

19,435 posts, read 12,387,645 times
by the time they get older and on their own you are so exhausted and stressed you are lucky to have any hair and ---make up? what's that?

When my kids were little and they saw me put on lipstick they would run around shouting

"We're going to the grocery store"!!!

That made me so sad but it was true.

Unread 06-30-2010, 08:46 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,288,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
by the time they get older and on their own you are so exhausted and stressed you are lucky to have any hair and ---make up? what's that?

When my kids were little and they saw me put on lipstick they would run around shouting

That made me so sad but it was true.

OP:
The hair styling is an issue for some people. Is your hair really long?

I will shower early in the morning, comb it out not brush, take care of other things while it air dries a bit and then flip it upside down and blow dry. My hair is very thick so it would take a long time to blow dry straight out of the shower.

I don't do this everyday but then I don't go out every day. Every other day I do.

Unread 06-30-2010, 09:08 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,123,874 times
I never wore much make up or did much with my hair, but I seem to have slacked off on other stuff. I used to have a routine where every Sunday afternoon I would give myself a relaxing spa day (at home) - give the feet a good soak, do my nails, mask the face, extra care with exfoliating, etc. Now those afternoons are spent spending time with my daughter. I tried doing the home spa day with her, but it's not exactly relaxing having a 4 year old insist on painting your toenails purple, pink, and orange.
I just hope that by the time she is older that I'm not too far gone and given up on trying to look good.

Unread 06-30-2010, 09:16 PM

4,386 posts, read 5,109,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

That cracked me up! So cute.

Unread 06-30-2010, 09:38 PM

3,425 posts, read 5,676,943 times
I used to spend a little more time but the last time I spent a whole lot of time on that was in high school - 45 min on hair and 20 min on makeup. This was in the 80s when you got a perm and then blew dry it upside down and then used hairspray and curling iron to make it BIG.

I read some stylist who said it should take no longer than 10-15 min to do your hair for everyday wear. If it takes longer, he said, you have the wrong hairstyle.

I use a liquid foundation that is spf30 and semi-sheer. I use a dusting mineral makeup powder over it to "set it" and cut the shine. A quick swipe with a tinted lip balm and some mascara and I am good to go. Takes about 5 min. I'd say the only thing I don't do now that I used to is eyeshadow.

My hair is a few inches below my shoulders right now, with super long side bangs, and I let it air dry a little then blow dry it and am done with it in under 10. On special days I might break out the hot rollers after that and that of course adds some time.

What I have found that I used to have more time for but forget to do as often now is things like shaping my eyebrows (they are not thick or dark enough to stand out to me as a problem when I ignore them) and painting my nails - because it chips off right away these days.

I totally laughed at the lipstick comment b/c when I wear lipstick instead of tinted lip balm, my entire family oohs and ahhs at me and my husband always wants to know where I am planning on going.

Unread 06-30-2010, 10:14 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,133,569 times
hmmm I am not a parent but I have to say it takes me 8 minutes to do work make up. I have timed it and it takes an average of 8 minutes. And I think I look pretty lovely. I am not sure what I would do for 30 minutes of make up applying. I wash my face in the shower, and I only wash my hair 3 times a week (I have SO much hair it takes around 3 hours to do so I really need to make time for my hair). After shower I use a bit of Toner then its Foundation (SPF & Anti Aging all in one) Powder, Bronzer, Blush, Eye Liner, Mascera, and lipstick to finish. Takes me 8 minutes.

Unread 06-30-2010, 10:26 PM

783 posts, read 778,005 times
I can shower and get ready in 30 mins. I leave the house with my hair wet and dry it with the car vents...winter heat is much more efficient than AC! I brush on some bare minerals, smidge of blush and I must wear lipstick or I am accused of being sick. Yes, I have pale lips. If I decide to shave the legs then add a few minutes for that and putting the lotion on/waiting for it to dry!

I probably did a bit more and dried my hair when I didn't have kids and had a corp business casual job but I wasn't there to be a fashion statement, find a man or impress anyone.

I try to go by the "as long as I am not the worst looking person in the room" motto!

Now that my daughter is older I can wear necklaces and fancy earrings again! I can wear nicer shirts without fear of food stains. Last job was scrubs or jeans on Friday. This job-anything I want-sweatpants and tshirt! If I am meeting a GF for lunch then I try to improve my appearance.

Unread 06-30-2010, 10:31 PM

783 posts, read 778,005 times
I forgot--I dressed up for a wedding the other week--even my 4yr old DS said I looked pretty and hubby REALLY appreciated it! I broke out the heels, contacts, mascara even, hot rollers, all the various hair styling products, fancy jewelry and perfume. I enjoyed the end results BUT the hour + effort in this HEAT was exhausting! It is nice to clean up occasionally!

Unread 07-01-2010, 12:07 AM

2,392 posts, read 2,807,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Before I had kids I used to put alot of time and effort into my appearance. I now have 3 kids 7 and under. I used to take 30 minutes to do my make-up and 1 hour on my hair. Now I spend 5 minutes on make-up and 20 minutes on my hair. I don't know why but I just don't care as much about how I look. I don't know if its due to sheer exhaustion or stress of the fact that my appearance is now trivial since my children are my top priority.
Is this the same for you? When your children got older did you focus on your appearance again?
I guess for me, I still put time and effort into my appearance because I wanted to look nice when my dh came home. He said I always looked good w/ or w/o makeup, but it just made me feel better. I think back how I looked when we were dating, and I didn't want to get that worn out look once I had a child. I've seen too many housewives quit caring about themselves, and I didn't want to be one of them. I wanted to be someone my dh was excited to come home to. I guess I always figured, if I was going to take the time to put make up on to go out for others, why wouldn't I put make up on to stay in for my dh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting