U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 AM
 
36 posts, read 68,557 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

My goal is to start a child care in my home for up to 6 children.

I am not sure if my question here is:
How much do you pay for child care?
How much would you pay for child care?
or How much should I charge to care for other children in my home?

I guess I should start with:
Should I ask in the Parenting section of the forum or in the Dayton, Ohio section? (so as to get a more specific to my area kind of answer)

Help and advice from other mothers who provide child care in their homes is welcome.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
1,149 posts, read 3,691,283 times
Reputation: 1117
I would think you would be better off asking in the forum for your specific area. I pay $640 per month for a center for an infant. I believe it is fair, taking into account the specifics of the center - most places in the area are cheaper.

I would think for an in-home your first question would be - how do I go about becoming licensed to care for children in my home, what is involved, do I need to take classes, etc. Googling would probably be a big help as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 10:25 AM
 
36 posts, read 68,557 times
Reputation: 49
I have already researched the licensing and regulations for my state. The main thing there is I can only care for up to 6 children including my two. As for classes, license, and such, none is needed for a "type B home". Although, since I used to work at a daycare years ago, I have taken some of those required classes.
I will post something in the Dayton forum as well.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Canada
3,432 posts, read 3,191,755 times
Reputation: 2186
First of all I think you are a brave woman. My step-sister charges 40.00 per child per day. I'm in Canada though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 AM
 
3,076 posts, read 6,392,310 times
Reputation: 4405
First thing you need to do, if you haven't already, is to find out whether or not you have to be licensed in your state. Some states require ALL home child cares to be licensed, others require SOME and others don't require them to be licensed at all. All states have standards for home child care whether or not they required them to be licensed.

Then you have to determine whether your can provide child care in your home at all. It's illegal in some cities to run a business out of a home. If you are in a rental property you must have written permission to run a child care business. Your insurance must be notified and agree to provide appropriate insurance coverage.

After you determine all that, you can move forward.

You will need to estimate start-up costs including application, training and inspection fees in addition to background checks and health checks. Depending on whether you have to be licensed or not you may be required to meet certain criteria in your home regarding health and safety issues, furniture/toy requirements and space requirements. There's also a large amount of paperwork that has to be instituted and maintained, so costs for that will need to be added in.

Once you factor in your start-up costs, you have to project monthly expenses for things such as food, supplies and toys and increases in utilities and insurance.

Then, you have to take into consideration your own level of experience and education, licensed or not, projected expenses and preferred profit and then weigh all those against current rates of those providing similar care around your area.

That's when you can begin to come up with an appropriate dollar figure for what you might charge.

It won't matter what other people pay or charge in other areas, only where you specifically are located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Hillsborough
2,825 posts, read 5,890,182 times
Reputation: 2617
I think it is highly variable by your area, so you will get more meaningful results in your local forum. Make sure that you specify in your post that you are asking in your local area forum on purpose because you know that rates fluctuate by region. However, don't be surprised if the mods move it back to Parenting anyway.

I pay $650 per month per kid for our home daycare provider, which is $30 per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 11:44 AM
 
36 posts, read 68,557 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
First thing you need to do, if you haven't already, is to find out whether or not you have to be licensed in your state. Some states require ALL home child cares to be licensed, others require SOME and others don't require them to be licensed at all. All states have standards for home child care whether or not they required them to be licensed..

Then you have to determine whether your can provide child care in your home at all. It's illegal in some cities to run a business out of a home. If you are in a rental property you must have written permission to run a child care business. Your insurance must be notified and agree to provide appropriate insurance coverage.

After you determine all that, you can move forward. .
For a "type B home"*, I do not need to be licensed. And since being run out of a residence is part of the definition, city business ordinances will not be an issue. We do own the house, but thank you for reminding me that I need to contact my insurance company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
You will need to estimate start-up costs including application, training and inspection fees in addition to background checks and health checks. Depending on whether you have to be licensed or not you may be required to meet certain criteria in your home regarding health and safety issues, furniture/toy requirements and space requirements. There's also a large amount of paperwork that has to be instituted and maintained, so costs for that will need to be added in.
My start-up costs will be fairly low due to already having children (baby-proofing done and plenty of toys). My mother has agreed to help out on those occasions when I have a doctor appointment or some other such need for her help. But other than that, no other employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Once you factor in your start-up costs, you have to project monthly expenses for things such as food, supplies and toys and increases in utilities and insurance.

Then, you have to take into consideration your own level of experience and education, licensed or not, projected expenses and preferred profit and then weigh all those against current rates of those providing similar care around your area.

That's when you can begin to come up with an appropriate dollar figure for what you might charge.

It won't matter what other people pay or charge in other areas, only where you specifically are located.
And this is where I am. I mostly know how much I want to charge, but since I don't know how much other type B homes cost, I am trying to get feedback from other parents.

Maybe find out what I can do or offer in order to charge more than the 'going rate'. (And I am still trying to find that 'going rate'.) I used to pay $200 per week when I worked and my daugher was in daycare. But that wasn't someone's home.




*Type B: The most common family child care home in Ohio. Type B providers can care for 6 or fewer children at one time and be exempt from licensing regulations. This includes the provider's own children under the age of six. A provider can care for no more than 3 children under the age of two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 PM
 
3,422 posts, read 9,336,649 times
Reputation: 1957
Definitely ask in the local forum b/c it is so variable. I paid $85/wk to a center in South GA for my 3 yr old. I would have paid $75-$125/wk in a home care, likely on the lower side - I know someone who used a home care for her infant and it was $150/wk, but the price dropped a bit once the child turned 2.

Now that I am in the SW, I noticed preschool is more expensive than it was there. I don't know about FT home care b/c I did not use it here. I do use a Mom's Day Out program that is $24/day for over 3.5 hrs between 9 and 4pm and $13/day for up to 3.5 hrs. It is in a church, so, again, not quite the same as home care.

Definitely check the local rates, plus find out how much your homeowners insurance will go up so you can factor that in, plus don't forget materials. Also look into the food program if you are eligible for that; it can help with paying for the meals.

Since you have experience with day care, you probably are aware of this, but don't forget to figure out what penalty you will charge for after hours late pickup. I knew someone who used a home care provider who got so sick of parents coming 15-30 min after she closed for the night at 6 that she started charging a full day's rate as the late fee, plus it had to be paid before the child could come the next day. It sounded extreme, but I guess people were starting to take advantage of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 PM
 
10,630 posts, read 22,535,313 times
Reputation: 6677
I agree that it varies greatly by area and local cost of living factors. We haven't used a daycare since we lived in LA, but there we paid $10/hour for an infant (defined there as any child under two) for an in-home daycare that size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 02:18 PM
 
15,141 posts, read 16,502,716 times
Reputation: 14815
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonMomof2 View Post
My start-up costs will be fairly low due to already having children (baby-proofing done and plenty of toys). My mother has agreed to help out on those occasions when I have a doctor appointment or some other such need for her help. But other than that, no other employees.

I just wanted to comment on this. I don't know how old your own children are, but you may want to be sure that at least some of their toys are removed during daycare time so that they have stuff that is *theirs* Many children are very territorial when it comes to their own toys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top