U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 09:11 AM

3,485 posts, read 2,780,719 times
Default Holding books upside down consistently

My 2 yo daughter CONSISTENTLY holds books upside down. Each time she grabs one, she holds it that way - even though I corrected her an endless number of times. If I ask her, "how do we keep the book correctly?" or tell her "turn it the other way", she will correct it immediately.

But her first instinct is to hold it upside down and she continues to look at it that way until someone intervenes.

I am probably in need of being introduced to the right kind of "learning disability" my daughter obviously has because I am sure there is one invented by now for this kind of behavior - with a name.
(Yes, the trace of sarcasm you think you are detecting is there).

I am just burnt out from worrying about one millions things that can "go wrong" with my half-American kids, growing up in a very much American environment. (Perhaps a little too much).

Would her pediatrician know about it? Should I inform her?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 09:30 AM

1,414 posts, read 2,015,990 times
she is 2. She doesn't comprehend the orientation of written language. Most baby books have general items (example ball, block, etc) that can be "right side up" from any angle. I wouldn't sweat it. Be happy she is interested in books!!! Brown Bear... that was my oldest's favorite at that age. You just brought a smile to my face because your post made me remember reading it to him

Old 07-04-2010, 09:36 AM

4,074 posts, read 4,435,642 times
Maybe she is just doing it to get your attention. Or maybe she really has no clue. Try saying "hold it the correct way" when its right side up and see if she flips it. She may just think thats what you do when you say that.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:37 AM

3,435 posts, read 934,255 times
This is not something to worry about at all. With all the things there are to worry about in the world this should be the least of your worries. She's only 2. If she is 3 or 4 and still doing this then I would be a little concerned. If she is 6 or 7 and doing this then there is a problem.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,062,916 times
She'll learn to read upside down. I did.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 AM

40,251 posts, read 43,086,481 times
Holding a book upside down is a strong sign of Dyslexia. I agree that you shouldn't be concerned at 2 years old. If she continues to do it, have her tested a few years from now. Fear not, a learning disability isn't a life long struggle if a child intervention is early (1st grade). Learning disabilities can be overcome. Early intervention is critical. But don't make a big deal about her holding the book the wrong direction. Teaching her to hold it the right direction isn't going to solve her problems if she does have a learning disability. Overly stressing her about which direction to hold the book could cause more problems than good. Just wait it out a few years. If she continues to do this, lisalan is on track about when to be concerned.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:50 AM

11,168 posts, read 14,269,996 times
I'm a natural speed-reader, and can read upside down with almost as much ease as rightside up. I can also read backward (mirror-image reading). I'm not dyslexic, there's nothing "wrong" with me. I'm just a good reader and my eye-brain coordination has adapted to allow me to read in pretty much any situation.

For your 2-year-old, or ANY year-old, I wouldn't discourage whatever method of exploring books suit her fancy. If she ends up only being able to read upside down, what of it? She'll be the talk of the book club when she's 50 and be invited to all the Ladies' Teas.

Honestly - don't sweat it. If she takes an interest in reading, encourage it. Even if it's upside down.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:59 AM

3,435 posts, read 934,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Holding a book upside down is a strong sign of Dyslexia. I agree that you shouldn't be concerned at 2 years old. If she continues to do it, have her tested a few years from now. Fear not, a learning disability isn't a life long struggle if a child intervention is early (1st grade). Learning disabilities can be overcome. Early intervention is critical. But don't make a big deal about her holding the book the wrong direction. Teaching her to hold it the right direction isn't going to solve her problems if she does have a learning disability. Overly stressing her about which direction to hold the book could cause more problems than good. Just wait it out a few years. If she continues to do this, lisalan is on track about when to be concerned.
Thanks. I'm an elementary teacher so do have some experience with this. Basically if she does then when she is able to read that's when I'd really worry.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
If she is 6 or 7 and doing this then there is a problem.
What is the name of the problem?

Oh, ok...ooops. I read further below. Dyslexia. That's what I thought.

Just one more thing to sweat. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm a natural speed-reader, and can read upside down with almost as much ease as rightside up. I can also read backward (mirror-image reading). I'm not dyslexic, there's nothing "wrong" with me. I'm just a good reader and my eye-brain coordination has adapted to allow me to read in pretty much any situation.

For your 2-year-old, or ANY year-old, I wouldn't discourage whatever method of exploring books suit her fancy. If she ends up only being able to read upside down, what of it? She'll be the talk of the book club when she's 50 and be invited to all the Ladies' Teas.

Honestly - don't sweat it. If she takes an interest in reading, encourage it. Even if it's upside down.
Thanks, Anon, I really appreciate your encouraging words.
Unfortunately, I have never been the "anything goes" type.
I tend towards "old-fashioned" and I believe there's a purpose, an order and a reason for most things that have traditionally been done in a certain way and not in another.

I would have a hard time doing nothing about this type of "differentness".

Hopefully people are right and it will correct itself with age.

It is just becoming hard to see her CONSISTENTLY doing that. If it was just random exploration, she would get that book right at least once in a while. But she ALWAYS keeps it upside down.

So I guess it's a case of..."if it's there, we have it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting