Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:03 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times

Advertisements

Since we've become so family oriented, it seems harder and harder to enjoy being an adult. I don't dislike kids, in fact, I like well behaved members of society of all ages. What I do not like is rude people that impose on others, regardless of their age. If children are going to be taken to a public place, they should know how to behave in company of others.

Yesterday, we tried to enjoy the Hot Springs in Bozeman, MT. The facility has several pools of varying sizes and temperatures for patrons to enjoy. At one point, my DH and I entered the smaller pool of 104 degrees. Soon after, three young boys -- maybe seven or eight, jumped in, and started swimming around the pool, splashing with their kicks. I politely but firmly asked them to stop kicking. One nodded agreement. Not long after, they went to the larger full-sized pool.

After we tried the smaller, warmer pools, I slipped into to full sized pool to cool off. I swam across the end two and a half times (it was empty there), before suddenly I was bombarded by the three boys diving in front of me. I swam around, and they moved their play to follow me. Obviously, it was get even time. I went back to the small pools.

At no time did I ever see the boys parents supervising their activities. They ruined our visit to the hot springs.

I could go on with story after story, but I am not here to whine. I just want to get parental views -- why are kids being allowed unsupervised play in public places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 10:10 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Sounds like my fire works watching experience. My mother, sister, cousins, and I all went to watch fire works last night and there where millions of children running around like hooligans. SCREAMING. The little boy behind us yelled "Wow look at that, omg mom did you see that? hey look at that one" after EVERY firework. Mom said nothing.

I have to say it ruined our fireworks evening.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
They ruined our visit to the hot springs.
3 8yo boys ruined your visit because they were playing in the pool? Wasn't this a public pool? And I am correct that they were 7-8 years old? Don't get me wrong, I expect my child to know how to behave in public as well but this is a public pool and I would expect kids their age to splash and "have fun".

Old 07-05-2010, 10:22 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
New Flash - Children will act like children. It is not unusual for kids to try to have fun.
A suggestion would be to be more tolerant.
By and large, kids today behave as well, or as badly, as kids always have behaved.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:25 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
The problem with a lot of parents today is they don`t want all of the responsibility that goes along with parenting. They justify it by saying that they are old enough to be by themselves, unsupervised or "they are just being kids." Even teenagers(to a certain degree) need be supervised. How can kids learn to be conciderate of others when the parents are not around to teach them...or use that excuse, "they are just being kids."

Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
3 8yo boys ruined your visit because they were playing in the pool? Wasn't this a public pool? And I am correct that they were 7-8 years old? Don't get me wrong, I expect my child to know how to behave in public as well but this is a public pool and I would expect kids their age to splash and "have fun".
I totally agree! Even if a parent was supervising those children, I'm sure they would have behaved the same way.

I sure wouldn't have told my children to stop playing simply because a cranky woman wanted to pretend that it was her personal private spa pool.

Pools are for diving, spashing, and kicking water around other people. If you want differently, build your own pool in your own yard.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Hopes, Why couldn`t the kids go to another part of the pool to splash. Those type of pools are pretty big. There is no reason for them to hang out were others don`t want to be splashed. It`s called commom curtesy.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:58 AM

137 posts, read 502,953 times
Nothing like the parents that wait to have kids till they are in their late 30's early 40's and then have a 5 year old runnign around screaming like a damned tasmanian devil

We have a few frinds that fit that description and do not go to many places with them.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Hopes, Why couldn`t the kids go to another part of the pool to splash. Those type of pools are pretty big. There is no reason for them to hang out were others don`t want to be splashed. It`s called commom curtesy.
The OP is asking about parental supervision. My point is that parents wouldn't likely change anything. It's not an adult only pool. Children dive and spash in pools. The parents were probably there....somewhere in another hot tub. I'm sure they saw no problem with their chidlren's behavior. The OP might have told the boys to stop, but the parents wouldn't have been able to know that the OP didn't want the boys around. Boys will be boys. She became a target. Unfortunate, yes. However, she should have expected to encounter diving and splashing at a pool for people of all ages, and I'm surprised she didn't realize that she made herself a target by telling them to stop. If the parents were RIGHT THERE and heard her, I'm sure they would have told their boys to stop. But there is NO REASON for parents to be literally right next to children who are capable swimmers.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:20 AM

I disagree that the parents would have told the boys to stop because if the parents weren`t supervising in the first place, then they wouldn`t care. You said that you wouldn`t even stop your own kids from splashing when others are around who don`t want to be splashed... If the pool is for everybody to enjoy, then EVERBODY needs to have common curtesy for others. Like I said, it`s a big pool, take your kids to another part of the pool to splash. It`s called common curtesy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting