Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Also, having a pet helped because I would talk to it.
Sometimes I feel like I have better conversations with my dog than other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:46 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Am I missing something? Did the OP say he/she is spending a lot of time with electronic gadgets? I do not see that anywhere. I will agree that children who spend a lot of time in front of the tv have speech delays. I know 3 kids that grew up in households where the tv was primary source of entertainment and all 3 of these kids were very delayed in their speech. But if the OP has not stated he is not interacting with the child, no one should throw judgements around like that and assume this is the issue. So if am I missing something in this thread, let me know.
From the OP's original post:

Quote:
has memorized the words to all of his brainy baby videos almost. .......... He's three years and two months. ........He takes my iPhone or iPad and plays price is right or bejeweled and plays the games with logic and to win! He also plays the wii with relative ease..
How many kids just turned 3 play this many electronic games?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,227 times
Not talking until after 3 or so is a sign of great talent , intellectual prowess, and creative genius.
Does he mumble everything ? Thats what I did.

I continue to mumble a little, esp when just waking or going to sleep. Don't worry the youngster comprehends and understands everything . The child would be VERY sensitive to your inner most thoughts, would have extra ordinary hearing capabilities and will be bored at school.

Lots of coloring and drawing accompanied with good praise will find a very happy little toddler.
Finally, mumble to him-her.....have a mumble conversation and see if the roles reverse.
Most of all have fun and good luck

Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
From the OP's original post:

ahhhh. Thank you!

Well it could be with too much time spent on these devices. Good catch. I guess the OP will have to clarify. My son didnt really start talking much until he was 3. I read to him all the time and since he is my only child, I was a stay at home mom and my husband worked a lot. Complete devotion and lots of one on one time. Then one day he started talking and the things he said blew me away. I think he just spent a lot of time listening. My friend used to crack up and tell me how my son was like a old man in a toddler's body. She would give all the kids ice cream and they would say, "this is good!" My son would say, "This is simply delicious!"

Old 07-10-2010, 12:02 AM

On the effect of those "brainy baby" videos:

The claim always seemed too good to be true: park your infant in front of a video and, in no time, he or she will be talking and getting smarter than the neighbor's kid. In the latest study on the effects of popular videos such as the "Baby Einstein" and "Brainy Baby" series, researchers find that these products may be doing more harm than good. And they may actually delay language development in toddlers.

Read more: Baby Einsteins: Not So Smart After All - TIME

Really, kids just need to be unplugged.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
ahhhh. Thank you!

Well it could be with too much time spent on these devices. Good catch. I guess the OP will have to clarify. My son didnt really start talking much until he was 3. I read to him all the time and since he is my only child, I was a stay at home mom and my husband worked a lot. Complete devotion and lots of one on one time. Then one day he started talking and the things he said blew me away. I think he just spent a lot of time listening. My friend used to crack up and tell me how my son was like a old man in a toddler's body. She would give all the kids ice cream and they would say, "this is good!" My son would say, "This is simply delicious!"
It may not be the electronics, but they certainly won't help.

My son is slightly delayed. My poor wife was always getting grief about it from busy body friends, in school he sees a speech therapist who admits there is little she can really do and he will pick up the troublesome sounds in time.

Like your son, mine also comes out with really sophisticated ideas, so we know he "gets it". He teacher calls him an old soul.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:27 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
It may not be the electronics, but they certainly won't help.

My son is slightly delayed. My poor wife was always getting grief about it from busy body friends, in school he sees a speech therapist who admits there is little she can really do and he will pick up the troublesome sounds in time.

Like your son, mine also comes out with really sophisticated ideas, so we know he "gets it". He teacher calls him an old soul.
I agree with you on the videos. I was never a fan of the tv stuff. There is always some new and improved way of boosting your child through the tv. I am a fan of technology but it does not replace the good old one on one interaction. I am a fan of music though and studies have shown that music ability enhances math comprehension. The busy bodies are endless. I always felt the hardest part of parenting was dealing with others. When my son was in first grade he fell behind. His teacher told me she was sure he was ADD (she was burned out and needed to retire). I didn't think so because he didn't fit any of the so called signs. I had him tested anyway and the psychologist said he was no way ADD in fact he is above average intelligence. He was not being challenged enough in the classroom. The look on his teacher's face was complete annoyance. My son also has been called an old soul. He has a sharp eye for detail. He always noticed things that others did not. I am not a fan of these so called development stages, like fit one, fit all mentality. Each kid develops at their own speed.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:31 AM

314 posts, read 935,674 times
I would get him evaluated with a speech therapist just in case as one previous poster stated to rule anything out. It is a well-known fact that children with autism fair better with early intervention so it wouldn't hurt. I volunteer sometimes at my son's school in the special ed class (my son does not want me to volunteer in his class says he is embarrassed) but anyway most of the high functioning autistic kids are very bright.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:08 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedMike View Post
My son knows to count 1-40. He knows his abc's and how has memorized the words to all of his brainy baby videos almost. He knows colors and shapes if asked. But he just won't converse. He's three years and two months. Is he stubborn? Have we made it too easy for him since he has gotten everything in the world without having to speak? We try to make him speak by nit complying with what he wants until he answers us. For example he wants a cookie. I'll say "what's this ? " he'll say "cookie" and I'll say "tell daddy you want the cookie". It's 50/50 that he'll get frustrated and upset. Or that he'll start saying " iwant I want I want" at best. Sometimes I feel bad like I, treating him to do a trick for me like a puppy. He's interactive and very social with other kids. I've checked like 50 autisms sites and he never meets more then one symptom of many. He's extremely smart. He takes my iPhone or iPad and plays price is right or bejeweled and plays the games with logic and to win! He also plays the wii with relative ease. Maybe he is slow to talk or maybe somethings wrong. Any advice from any other concerned parents.

My son didnt talk until her was 4 then after that we couldnt shup him up..He is 17 now and still continues to talk non stop.
Dont worry soon your son will talk your ear off..

Old 07-10-2010, 09:30 AM

171 posts, read 444,286 times
Early Intervention. It is usually free--I believe some states may vary. At 3, he's probably covered by the public school system. I would call and ask if someone can point you in the right direction.

My almost 6 year-old did not speak until just before turning 3. He would point, pull us, grunt "Eh, eh, eh!" growl, all kinds of weird and frightening stuff. I went through EI, we had a speech & language person come once a week to visit and suddenly my son would not STOP talking. FWIW, she didn't take credit for the explosion, and was also kind of shocked, but did say that sometimes happens. He was reading soon after.

Fast forward to Kindergarten. He now has a slight articulation issue. Was evaluated again, and will have services once a week during the school day. He's far, far ahead of his peers on all other developmental measures, so please do not feel there is a stigma in seeking help for your son. And I think being cared for by a non-English speaking relative is also something to factor in. Many bilingual kids have slight delays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting