Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:53 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times

Advertisements

Today I was at home depot helping my friend pick out paint. When she stepped away from me a girl bumped into me. She said sorry. I realized after looking around it was not an accident that she had done this. It wasn't crowded and she had walked down and deliberately bumped bumped me. She then said "I need to show you something" and I said no that's ok. Then I turned around and realized she was "special" I am guessing she was autistic. She was taller than me but I could tell she was around 14 by her face. My friend returned and started talking to me about her color choice and the girl got really made and she said "I need to show you something" My friend then walked away to get her paint and I went to follow and she said "I NEED TO SHOW YOU SOMETHING" and grabbed my arm and literally pulled my down the isle and said "I have to show you where I got this" and handed me a piece of paper with a bedroom on it. I said "yes that's nice" and she said "are you going to do this to your room" and I said yes and quickly made a break for it. I held the paper just because I felt like she would throw a fit if I put it down. I then look over and her father is standing right there watching her. THEN she goes and does this to another person who was not as understanding and she got very upset when he walked away. Now I know she is special but I think that showed a complete lack of parenting. At that age a child can do some actual damage to a person!

What would you have done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I'm a bit shocked that her father stood there and simply watched his daughter physically grab and drag other people.

What would I have done? I would have quietly told the father that he needed to teach his daughter to not touch other people before someone asks the police to file assult charges against her.

It may not have ever occurred to him that his daughter's actions qualify as assult because she has grown big enough for others to actually fear for their safety when she touches them inappropriately.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:59 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
I actually consider myself lucky that it was a girl. I feel like if it would of boy I would of walked away with more than just a shaken feeling.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:07 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
If I was her parent I would have apologized to you. I would have grabbed my daughter by the arm and told her to stop bothering you.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:14 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,182 times
Its too bad you had that experiece. My daughter is autistic and I never let her do that to people. But she would if I let her, no doubt about it. In a situation like that, let the parent know that behavior is not helping her learn appropriate life skills. He won't be there one day and the more he can prepare her for the world, the better off she will be.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Today I was at home depot helping my friend pick out paint. When she stepped away from me a girl bumped into me. She said sorry. I realized after looking around it was not an accident that she had done this. It wasn't crowded and she had walked down and deliberately bumped bumped me. She then said "I need to show you something" and I said no that's ok. Then I turned around and realized she was "special" I am guessing she was autistic. She was taller than me but I could tell she was around 14 by her face. My friend returned and started talking to me about her color choice and the girl got really made and she said "I need to show you something" My friend then walked away to get her paint and I went to follow and she said "I NEED TO SHOW YOU SOMETHING" and grabbed my arm and literally pulled my down the isle and said "I have to show you where I got this" and handed me a piece of paper with a bedroom on it. I said "yes that's nice" and she said "are you going to do this to your room" and I said yes and quickly made a break for it. I held the paper just because I felt like she would throw a fit if I put it down. I then look over and her father is standing right there watching her. THEN she goes and does this to another person who was not as understanding and she got very upset when he walked away. Now I know she is special but I think that showed a complete lack of parenting. At that age a child can do some actual damage to a person!

What would you have done?
You handled this perfectly. The father is an idiot. Not only is this disrespectful on his part but he is putting his daughter in danger. There are some very intolerant mean people in this world and the next time might end up with the girl getting shoved or hit.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:27 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
The same thing happened to me but WITH A BOY! We were at a beach boardwalk walking with our two young children and my husband. When I walked by the boy was saying "Hi" and the first few times I didn't even realize he was talking to me (the beach was busy) when I finally realized I said "hi" quietly and kept walking with my family.

Well the boy FOLLOWED ME!!!! No parents in sight and kept saying "Hi" louder and louder, until he was screaming and trying to scream it real close to my face.

Thankfully my husband was with me and got very protective. He walked right up to the boy (Around 14 as well) and said "FIND SOMETHING TO DO" real loud to him and had to position his body between the boys and mine.

I guess even "special" children can have inattentive parents.... (sigh)

I'm just thankful he was doing it to me and not either of my young children...It could have been a VERY dangerous situation.

YOU did the RIGHT thing!!

Old 07-11-2010, 03:20 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I'm just thankful he was doing it to me and not either of my young children...It could have been a VERY dangerous situation.
Dangerous, or obtrusive. There's a difference.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:43 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Oh wow I dont seriously know how I would have handled it but I think the father is a moron and needs a parenting class . I hope her mother has better capablities than the father seems to have .
I just cannot believe this man did not keep his daughter beside him and next time store security might get involved .

Old 07-11-2010, 03:48 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Dangerous, or obtrusive. There's a difference.
Dangerous... you didn't see how he was getting in my face and screaming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting