Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:26 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Thanks for all the responses. My daughter sometimes wakes up dry but not often. I guess I should take this to mean that her body is not physiologicaly ready for potty training?
I did buy her a potty watch off ebay that you can set to go off at 30 60 or 90 minute intervals. I really need something to remind me to put her on as my mommy brain is fried LOL.

LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have Mommy Brain indeed. I think your daughter is probably pretty close to being ready. But I wouldn't push it. I've never met a college grad who still wore a diaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:48 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
I did buy her a potty watch off ebay that you can set to go off at 30 60 or 90 minute intervals. I really need something to remind me to put her on as my mommy brain is fried LOL.
How about this? You wear the watch and you won't have to rely on Mommy Brain. After she begins to get the hang of it, you can offer to let her wear the watch and remind you.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:47 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
How about this? You wear the watch and you won't have to rely on Mommy Brain. After she begins to get the hang of it, you can offer to let her wear the watch and remind you.

You know what. She likes the watch and is excited to get it. If she wants to wear the watch I will let her wear the watch and obviously I WILL BE ABLE TO HEAR WHEN IT GOES OFF.
If she doesn`t want to wear the watch then I will leave it where I CAN HEAR IT
I really was not in need of THIS KIND OF UNHELPFUL ADVICE for goodness sakes....

Old 07-15-2010, 06:20 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
You know what. She likes the watch and is excited to get it. If she wants to wear the watch I will let her wear the watch and obviously I WILL BE ABLE TO HEAR WHEN IT GOES OFF.
I really was not in need of THIS KIND OF UNHELPFUL ADVICE for goodness sakes....
I think poster was trying to be helpful...maybe not in the format you like most but the idea is valid and could be helpful if you are open to it.

But, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and not assume they are trying to be intentionally unhelpful. Funny thing is, even if they were being unkind on purpose, by giving them the benefit of the doubt I am still on high ground and they look even more like the fool. My grandfather used to say something about not jumping down in the gutter with pigs because you both end up dirty....or something to that effect.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:25 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
I think that's a great idea for a busy mom trying to juggle 3 kids, one in diapers and one potty training. I used a kitchen timer when my kids were potty training...sometimes clipped to them and sometimes on the counter or whatever room we were in. I guess that's the same concept as the potty watch. Too bad I didn't think to market it.

OK, off to work on my foot pedal potty seat lifter idea....especially designed with boys in mind!!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry you thought my post was unhelpful. Next time, maybe you could be specific about the kind of advice you do need.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
Quote:
\My daughter sometimes wakes up dry but not often.
Do you mean in the morning or from naps?

don't wait for her to be dry in the morning because some kids have nighttime wetting problems until puberty due to hormonal issues or other reasons, but are perfectly capable of staying dry during the day.

The nap dryness is one of those indicators of readiness but again, if your child simply crashes hard and takes a 2-3 hour nap, I don't know how much I would rely on that. And there are kids who will sleep in a diaper/pullup and wet it instead of getting up even if they know how to use the toilet while awake.

So just go with your gut feeling on the dry when waking indicator.

I think you wearing the watch for now is a good idea - kids like to ignore the urge to go if they are busy and i can imagine the watch could be ignored too if she is wearing it and you do not happen to hear it.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:29 AM

I didn't think of it this way. I could play a game with her and wen she hears it go off she can ask to go potty. Don't know hoe long it will holder her interest though. I'm bringing her to the pediatrician today and I'll see what she has to say and I'll try to post and update.
I'm sorry but I didn't like the tone of the poster who suggested I wear the watch. That's why I reacted the way I did. It sounded like she was being sarcastic. Maybe she wasn't????

Thanks again

Old 07-16-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I didn't think of it this way. I could play a game with her and wen she hears it go off she can ask to go potty. Don't know hoe long it will holder her interest though. I'm bringing her to the pediatrician today and I'll see what she has to say and I'll try to post and update.
I'm sorry but I didn't like the tone of the poster who suggested I wear the watch. That's why I reacted the way I did. It sounded like she was being sarcastic. Maybe she wasn't????

Thanks again
You having mentioned "Mommy brain", I thought perhaps you hadn't realized there was a simpler solution to the watch thing. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. (I have chemo brain and I know what it's like not being able to always see the easy way).

That being said, my next post, the one in which I suggested you be more specific in the kind of help you required, was being sarcastic. I'm willing to own it. Especially when someone decides they know what I intended.
At the very least, you could have asked without being snarky.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
You having mentioned "Mommy brain", I thought perhaps you hadn't realized there was a simpler solution to the watch thing. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. (I have chemo brain and I know what it's like not being able to always see the easy way).

That being said, my next post, the one in which I suggested you be more specific in the kind of help you required, was being sarcastic. I'm willing to own it. Especially when someone decides they know what I intended.
At the very least, you could have asked without being snarky.
I knew my first instincts were right.....

Last edited by KylieEve; 07-16-2010 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting