U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,312 times

Advertisements

hi im a single mom living in colorado spriings w/ no education, its confusing living in this beautiful town i grew up in!!! well, the teenage daughters are growing up now and of course i dont want them like me, so any roads out there to follow!!How did you do it with your kids????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 11:22 AM

7,504 posts, read 15,962,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahernandez View Post
hi im a single mom living in colorado spriings w/ no education, its confusing living in this beautiful town i grew up in!!! well, the teenage daughters are growing up now and of course i dont want them like me, so any roads out there to follow!!How did you do it with your kids????
Whats not good about you ? If you have done some things that you are not proud of or was a big mistake, the best thing you can do is be honest with your daughters and let them know so they wont follow down the same paths you chose.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:51 AM

504 posts, read 1,618,988 times
The best thing you can do for them is to make sure that they have a great father that is in thier lives and adores them.
Set a good example.
Go back to school.
Pick your battles.
Keep involved in thier school.
Know thier friends and enemies.
Know where they are. GPS in phones and vehicle.
Keep promises.
Keep a schedule.
Never stop letting them know you love them.

I have two daughters fourteen years apart, no they are not perfect but if I thought I could just have girls I would have had many more. My youngest had the advantage of having a father that put her first and it shows. He was the finest parent I have ever seen. We did not live together so it can be done.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:11 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,602,470 times
Are you basically saying you had no education and you want your daughters to go to college? I'm in the same boat, I am married, we both didn't go to college, but our girls will go. My older daughter completed a yr and 1/2 and took a smester off and now is enrolled again for Sept. (YAY!!!!!!!!!!) my younger daughter..I kicked it up a notch for her, watching my older not being properly prepared for college, my younger one goes to a really good Prep school. The graduating class of 2006 of 176 students, received more than 10 million in scholarships. Almost every kid who goes gets a scholarship. They ALL go to college. You really need an education these days...and if you luck out and don't need it for some reason or another...you still have an education, no one can take it away from you.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:29 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,378,491 times
I recommend reading the book The Nurture Assumption by Judith Rich Harris. In it she says the best thing you can do to make sure your child is college bound or success bound is to surround them with peers who feel the same way.

For example, my friend has a teen son in a rural high school where teen pregnancy is normal. The kid has already been to a baby shower. For him, having a baby in high school appears normal. If he were in a school where there are no pregnant peers who would think that's normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or