U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:03 AM

29,640 posts, read 32,018,309 times

Advertisements

While I'm not a fan of phoning/texting people who aren't there while avoiding the ones who are, I don't come down on gaming becuase it's not all bad. Gaming is a very social thing, think board games, card games, dice games, etc. Maybe they were playing with each other on their game systems but you just don't understand it. As the mom of several gamers (computer, system and otherwise) I attest to the fact that it IS a social thing for those involved.

If you just want them to go outside and run around then say so. That's never really been MY idea of fun (I am an indoorsy person) but they are your kids. Just remember that being related doesn't mean they have anything at all in common with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,238,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
These kids were friends, I thought?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Just remember that being related doesn't mean they have anything at all in common with each other.
I was going to mention something similar. Children don't always like the children of their parents' relatives and friends.

They might have played in the past due to necessity or boredom, merely tollerating each other, not because they liked each other.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 AM

2,905 posts, read 6,432,807 times
Exactly, if the kids aren't friends and they don't know each other, don't expect them to be buddy buddy.

However, if the parents took away the devices, that might facilitate conversation. (I don't know, this part seems like common sense to me?)

Was there anything to do outside? I don't know many 14 year olds that want to go outside and "run around".

Shoot BB's, take a hike, play with a dog, play a game, etc. maybe yes.

I remember dinners at my aunt's house, when the most exciting thing for me to do was stick my nose in the Farmer's Almanac, which I never encountered anywhere else I went, back in the day of no electronics. I didn't know my cousins well (there were only a few) and my grandparents alwasys asked questions like "So, how is school" I can only imagine how those dinners would have went if we had electronics and the adults gave us free reign to go ahead and play with them all day. (Which they wouldn't have)

Old 09-14-2010, 07:53 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,005,581 times
Lol, they might not like their cousins? Well, tough cookies! Learn to get along! That is life! You don't always like the people you work with or your clients but you still have to get along. Family get togethers are often training grounds for real life.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Lol, they might not like their cousins? Well, tough cookies! Learn to get along! That is life! You don't always like the people you work with or your clients but you still have to get along. Family get togethers are often training grounds for real life.
Nobody is saying they shouldn't tollerate their cousins.

We're saying that you can't make them play together or make them like each other.

Simply being polite is all that's needed to practice real life.

As an adult, I am polite to people I do not like. I don't have to enjoy their company, nor do I have to pretend to be their friends.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:31 AM

758 posts, read 1,598,813 times
You don't have to make them play together but if they have no electronic devices to keep them away from other people, they might find something in common or at least something else to do with their peers that are there.

I agree that it's kind of like a training ground for real life. You can't go to the boss's party and then play with your psp or listen to your Ipod the whole time you're there. It would be considered rude.
Same goes for family functions IMO. It would be rude to go, then ignore other people the whole time you're there.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I agree that it's kind of like a training ground for real life. You can't go to the boss's party and then play with your psp or listen to your Ipod the whole time you're there. It would be considered rude.
Same goes for family functions IMO. It would be rude to go, then ignore other people the whole time you're there.
Very true. Good point.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 AM

9,010 posts, read 16,206,166 times
Were only 2, me and my 8th grade son, but we do 'quiet' time from 730p-8p each night, he can do his homework, read, (anything Non Electronic ((Other then using the computer for homework) and i monitor it to see that he is doing his HW, not on facebook etc )) or we play boardgames, chess,

Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,873,500 times
Many people I know collect all the electronic gadgets when you show up to their event.
Great thing to do!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 AM

556 posts, read 674,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I was at a huge family activity the other day. In attendance was 9 kids who were from age 8 to 14. I expected all of them to be excited to see each other and to run outside and play. Instead the kids all spent the majority of their time playing their IPOD's, playing Computer Games, watching TV, talking to friends on their cell phones, instant messaging friends, and playing with GameBoys. I did not see anyone playing outside (the weather was beautiful) or really even talking to each other. These kids were friends, I thought?

Is this kids in the 21st Century? Should the parents insist they play outside and put away their games, cell phones and get off the computer?

Yes. I think you should put a box by the front door for the next family gathering. All electronics go in on arrival and come out when everyone leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or