U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM

784 posts, read 4,068,371 times

Advertisements

I was at a huge family activity the other day. In attendance was 9 kids who were from age 8 to 14. I expected all of them to be excited to see each other and to run outside and play. Instead the kids all spent the majority of their time playing their IPOD's, playing Computer Games, watching TV, talking to friends on their cell phones, instant messaging friends, and playing with GameBoys. I did not see anyone playing outside (the weather was beautiful) or really even talking to each other. These kids were friends, I thought?

Is this kids in the 21st Century? Should the parents insist they play outside and put away their games, cell phones and get off the computer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 01:49 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,136,069 times
I would say go out and get fresh air...I encourage play and discourage the electronics stuff (we do have the xbox 360, Ipod for our 7 year old, the gizmos and gadgets)--but its on limits...and quite frankly, she plays maybe an hour on the weekend and listens to her ipod..which is music, so I cannot complain.

I take my kids out and about with no problems, have them do activites and such..

The problem is and this is just an opinion is that most of hte things are geared for "on player" action only. Ipod is a listening device....we have a docking station...as we have an ipod in our room too..so that is just fun to listen too.

Gameboy-one player
Xbox--okay some are two player games
Computer games- only one person can do the mouse or keyboard
cell phone or text messanging..again a one player item.

There are not that many More that one player things anymore..except dvd games (deal or no deal, board game types)...or the traditional board games..or even the outdoor games.

We as parents have to provide that..and we as parents should partake in the games too!

you just cant hand someone a soccor ball and say...go playoutside..no the parents need to rally up the troops and try and start a scrimmage or something.

Girls are bit different..they are into lip gloss, dress up and pretend play, they are more cliquey and can manage to keep themselves busy....I have girls..and its easy to keep em busy while baking and such. I have no idea how boys are.

But I wouldnt generalized and say that is the kids of the 21rst century..there are just more gizmos thats all..and quite frankly its parental responsibility to set the limits of how much, when and why.

I am sure the child haters will have some lovely comments for you!

But dont lose heart..perhaps you can talk to the parents and for "next" time if there is one....come up with some outdoor activities to jump start the reunion....and sometimes its just teaching kids to remember how to "play again".

Old 06-21-2007, 03:18 PM

20,793 posts, read 49,669,669 times
That is really sad. When our kids get together with their cousins they run and play until they drop. The kids range in age from 6 months (obviously not in on the fun yet) to age 14--most of the kids are 8-14. We have a get together on July 4th and the kids are already counting down the days until they get to go. It is an equal mix of boys and girls so that helps some but for the most part they all have great games of hide and go seek, tag, set up obstacle courses, etc. They occasionally stop for something to eat too

Old 06-21-2007, 04:41 PM

434 posts, read 1,511,257 times
When I was a kid we had great family reunions. My aunt always set up volleyball nets, horseshoes, water guns, slip and slides etc and had games we played and silly little prizes to win. Maybe you could pick the very best "mom" or "fun aunt" and put her in charge of activities? We always had so many things set up for us to do we would all pout when it was time for dinner. The Atari and TV got dusty and we never even thought about it! (of course we made forts out of pine cones and had imaginary gun battles so maybe we were easily entertained!)

Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 PM

6,585 posts, read 21,570,031 times
Yes, the parents could be more proactive in getting them away from the electronics. They could have told them, "For the next hour, no electronics, go outside and play." And then see how it goes.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 PM

3,091 posts, read 7,939,024 times
You know when my father's side of the family did reunions, it wasn't JUST the kids getting outside, it was EVERYONE. So the kids really had no choice.

And why didn't the parents just make the kids put away all the electronics while at the reunion? But wait? I bet the parents had their version of their electronic toys out while at the reunion too. Or was it a case of do as I say and not do as I do? Liz

Old 06-22-2007, 06:36 AM

4,723 posts, read 3,304,782 times
When my kids have friends over, the tv, nintendo64 and all computers are off limits unless it is raining.

There is no excuse for kids to be antisocial esp with their families.

Then when these kids get older they will say they didnt know their families??

Old 06-23-2007, 12:13 AM

743 posts, read 1,966,408 times
Kids are so "plugged in" these days, it's really sad. I fight this battle with my own kids frequently and limit srictly their "screen time". If it was left to me, I'd get rid of all electronics and let them build tree houses and forts, go exploring in creeks and stay out "until the street lights came on".....but, I feel in our society now, I'm so counter-culture. Pretty pathetic, really.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:36 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,553,705 times
Seems simple to me, be the adult and tell them to put away the electronic games and go out side and play or introduce them to board games. Call me a cranky ol man, put I wouldn't put up with that for a minute.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:05 PM

26,347 posts, read 77,231,909 times
As long as the kids are getting enough exercise, are eating right, and are otherwise healthy (physically, emotionally, and psychologically), then good for them (though it would have been nice for them to show interest in their family members). Interest in electronics is a good thing. Familiarity with common electronics tool, phones, video equipment, media, data management is a requirement in today's world. I would encourage these kids to pursue interests in their games and the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting