U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:54 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,914,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Not saying you are wrong but interestingly enough my first son who never had a pacifier was late speaking and my little guy with one wouldn't shut up from 1 years old!...LOL Goes to show you they are all individuals no matter what the articles say.
My son also was very advanced with speech and he used a pacifier constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 04:59 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,310,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshort View Post
Personally, I never gave my daughter a pacifier. I just don't see any good coming out of it. My sister in law and a lot of other people on my husband's side constantly put pacifiers in their kid's mouths ( I mean, ALL DAY LONG). I just hated seeing these kids musseled up like dogs. So, I decided that I would not give them to my kids. And even though everyone knew how I felt about them, I still got them as gifts for my baby shower because everyone kept telling me that they were "lifesavers"..But I stuck to my guns and didn't give her one. Luckily, she doesn't suck on her thumb either.

I had read some articles that too much pacifier use would delay speech development and I must admit that my sister in law's kids started speaking very late. The younger one is almost 2 and he can barely say 10 words. His pediatrician told my sister in law that my 18 months, he should be saying 40 or more words!

This is just my opinion and what I feel is right for my kids but obviously, everyone must do what they feel is right for their own children.
That part IS TRUE..at least my Brother DID TELL me that. He said that at nighttime, or nappies..fine..but during the day...there is really no reason for a binky...so It didnt bother me to much that the girls had it at nightime or nappies. t

I dont know the dental "lingo"..but there is something about having the paci in your mouth all day long or buttoned or attached to your clothing..something about the roof of the mouth..and he did mention speech delays.

Again..nightime is what we allowed..do what is okay for your family though.

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:00 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,310,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
My son also was very advanced with speech and he used a pacifier constantly.
Awesome parenting....do they still chatter away LOLOL..mind do!!!!!! its like the energizer bunny...

Old 06-22-2007, 07:34 PM

1,433 posts, read 3,466,651 times
Thanks for all your replys. I figured cold turkey was going to be the sugestion.... I never felt strongly one way or the other about pacifers but have since learned people have VERY strong opinios on them. They have provided comfort for my little one and I hate to take that confort away! At any rate thanks so much for your thoughts and ideas! I'll let you know how it goes

Old 06-23-2007, 06:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
All three of my kids used pacifiers, none of them are speech delayed (DS14 was talking in complete sentences by 18 months and was very attached to his pacifier). They all had them until they were about 2. For our oldest his started wearing out and he chewed a hole in it. I told him that was his last one and if he broke it he wouldn't have another one. He missed it for a day or two and was fine. DD lost her's one day, we couldn't find it, she never really missed it. DS12 had pretty much the same issue as DS14, chewed a hole in it, tried to suck on it once and threw it in the garbage. It wasn't a big deal.

Most kids NEED something to suck on, they need the oral stimulation. A lot of parents think you are a bad parent for using pacifiers but don't let that bother you--those are the parents that try to reason with a 2 year old too .

When the kids got to be a little over a year we didn't allow them to use their pacifiers during the day, only naps and bedtime, unless they were sick or we were driving in the car on a long trip.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:24 PM

304 posts, read 1,279,874 times
With our twin sons, we procrastinated taking away their "pacis". I think they were around 2 1/2 before we finally took them away. That was really tricky, since our younger son was 6 months old and still used his paci. We had to go "cold turkey" with the twins. One of them was pretty good about giving it up, but our other son would sneak off with his baby brother's paci and hide behind a chair, sucking on the baby paci! I swear, he reminded me of someone sneaking off for a smoke! Anyway, we learned our lesson and cut our younger son off from the paci at around 16 months. He was only using his paci at bedtime, so it was much easier to break him of the habit.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:13 AM

So when he was 16 months old did you go cold turkey and end the love affair with the paci or did he still use it at night? I think that is where I am stuck. I don't let her have it during the day but am still letting her have it to sleep. I can't decide if I should just completly take it away. What have the rest of you done? And if you let them have it to sleep, how long did you do that for? Thanks!

Old 06-24-2007, 06:13 PM

4,963 posts, read 3,923,610 times
Both of our boys had them. We have 17 months between them and I intended to get rid of the pacifier and bottle before the smallest was born. However, I was in hospital for a month and figured that was enough for my son.
SSo it took us until one was 3 1/2 and the other was 2 to get rid of the dummies. We told them taht Santa had to take them to give them to the babies that had none.

My older son is 8 and still will put things in his mouth. The younger one ; oh he is so independent that it isnt funny. No dummies for him.

dorothy

Old 06-25-2007, 07:42 AM

304 posts, read 1,279,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
So when he was 16 months old did you go cold turkey and end the love affair with the paci or did he still use it at night? I think that is where I am stuck. I don't let her have it during the day but am still letting her have it to sleep. I can't decide if I should just completly take it away. What have the rest of you done? And if you let them have it to sleep, how long did you do that for? Thanks!
We went cold turkey at 16 months with our youngest. He is our stubborn one, so it is either all or nothing with him!

Just make sure nothing else stressful is going on in her life if you do it. We intended to take his paci away earlier than 16 months, but when he was 14 months he was injured and had to have stitches. We waited until he was fully healed to make any adjustments like that in his life.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:07 AM

I think thats where my problem is, I keep finding reasons why "now is not a good time". Like for example, this week I am teaching vacation bible school at our church, so for the first time in her life she will be away from me everyday. I thought it might be mean to take away her only comfort. She doesn't have a favorite stuffed animal or blanket, its all paci all the time. I feel like I am failing her because I am a wimp!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or