U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:27 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,097,465 times

Advertisements

Our son turned 2 years and 2 months and he was attached to his paci quite strongly. But a few days ago we went cold turkey and it worked. We started out by telling him about 2 weeks ahead of time that the paci fairy will be coming to take his paci to give to another baby. On the day in question, we put the paci in a small bag, tied it up, and had him leave out outside for the paci fairy to come and take it. The fairy left him a present. If he mentions the paci, we ask him who has paci and he says babies. So it worked out well. We have noticed more trouble in putting him to sleep and calming him down without it though, which we hope passes fairly soon. We tried the paci only for naps and night when he turned two, but that did not work as he cried for it at other times too, so cold turkey was the best choice for us.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 03:02 PM
jco

2,120 posts, read 5,866,014 times
Mom son's 14 months and he still uses his. I've actually had friends ask me to please take it from him when he starts to talk. Well, he says words and play talks and he still has it. I'm going to start on the bottle first, like irishmom said. I don't know how I'd get him to sleep if I ditched both!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:07 PM

1,433 posts, read 3,469,209 times
I can say we have been rid of the bottles since she turned one. ITS the paci. But since I have been teaching VBS this week I decided to wait until that was over before we try cold turkey. Also she is teething and I think it feels good to her to have the paci. What do I know? As you can see I also posted on "Toddler having a hard time when I leave"...boy can you tell I am a first time parent or what!

Old 06-30-2007, 04:51 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,364,709 times
Default Pacifiers

All 4 of my children had pacifiers, but 2 became really attached. I let them both have them until close to 4. I did however restrict them after 2 to nap and bedtime only, or if we made a long cartrip. If you just let them have them all the time you find they are talking "around" them and they can not be understood and it just isn't good. I would make them keep them on their bed and they felt content they knew where they were. Some people might say 4 is too old but no one even knew they still used them as it was only when they slept. It did not make their teeth buck out or interfer with their speech. When we did stop they were old enough to understand things better. I just explained they were getting too old for them and we would be throwing them out. I first cut them down from car to no car, then cut out the nap, so they only had them at bedtime and then cold turkey they were all thrown out. They had a little trouble sleeping and cried for 2 or 3 nights and then it was done and forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or