Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:47 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,871,044 times

Advertisements

So I know this can be a touchy subject, but I have a 15 month old who is addicted to her pacifier. My questions are this, when did you take the paci away and how did you take the paci away? Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 03:12 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
We have not gotten there yet, but I have heard that ~ 2 years is a typical cutoff age. Our pediatrician says that you can do it very early (~4 or 5 months) or wait until around 2 years. Both are good natural cutoff points for varioius reasons, although each kid varies, of course. He said that there is no physical issues until ~4 years (issues with tooth development).

Most of my friends say the only way to go is cold turkey. One 'gave' (wink, wink) the pacificers to a friend with a newborn (who bought a few just like the little girl had). Another friend's child dropped it on the floor of the car during a trip, and when they were cleaning it off 'lost' it out the window of the car (actually, palmed it quite well). Both tactics worked quite well, apparently .

Old 06-22-2007, 04:13 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,791,726 times
My first son never used a pacifier, I tried and he would spit it out. My second was totally attached to his...he always wanted to know where it was. When he was 16 months old I decided he either had to lose the pacifier or the bottle...so I went for the pacifier because I heard it was a harder habit to break. Well he started to suck his thumb...now this I know is an even worse habit so I promptly gave him back his pacifier and took away the bottle, which was no problem because he really was almost totally on sippy cups anyway at that point.

Then we were driving somewhere when he was 21 months old, he threw his pacifier out the window....so I looked at him and told him since he threw it away (which he totally knew not to throw things out the car window after the fire truck incident) that he must not need it anymore. He never asked for it again.

Most dentists agree that as long as they are off of it by two it's ok. But if they go to their thumb you are better off allowing the pacifier, 'cause you can't cut their thumb off...LOL Good luck!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:20 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,891,389 times
My brother is a Dentist and he said that up till the age of two there is NO problems whatsover..after two..it shouldnt be used as a plug..I guess the meaning was...there are some kids that have a binky in there mouth while walking thru the mall...and there are others that enjoy it to sooth while they sleep.

My kids used their binkys at naptime and bedtime..and it would pop out of their mouth, I would scoot it in the corner of the crib..and the little buggers would manage to find it in the middle of the night!

Anyway..My little is 2.4 now..and she ONLY used the binky during naps..the summer is the potty training project and binky project..but I went cold turkey with #1..and plan on going cold turkey or do the "uh, it went bye bye (fell down the toilet, out the window, on the floor..whatever" thing.)

LOL Good luck..if you can away with taking it away now...more power to you..but dont worry...kids are not going to need therapy or see Dr. Phil becasue they used a binky! :-)

Old 06-22-2007, 04:58 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,660,339 times
I knew from reading the baby books that they said to take it away by 6 months old or they will be totally dependant on it - then it will take you til about 3 years old til they can mentally break the habit.

And it's true - my sister and best friend had their kids with pacifiers til after 3 years old

Good Luck

Old 06-22-2007, 05:03 PM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 606,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
(which he totally knew not to throw things out the car window after the fire truck incident)
Dare I ask about the "fire truck incident"??? LoL

As far as the pacifier thing goes, I would say not to stress about it too much. I can't be of a lot of help, because my son was never really interested in them...he does, however, love his 1st two fingers. Unless he is teething, stressed, or going to sleep, he has more or less weaned himself off the fingers (or maybe they've employed some kind of "aversion therapy" at day care that I don't know about...dunno )

As long as there aren't any pacifiers heading out with your daughter to kindergarten, she's probably ok.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:12 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,214,878 times
Default No can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
So I know this can be a touchy subject, but I have a 15 month old who is addicted to her pacifier. My questions are this, when did you take the paci away and how did you take the paci away? Thanks in advance for your help.
I would be too embarrassed to tell you what age..

Old 06-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsB23 View Post
Dare I ask about the "fire truck incident"??? LoL
The fire truck incident was a few weeks before our trip. My little terrorist toddler threw a fire truck out the car window....where a very nice police car decided to stop, pick it up and then stop me to return it. Oh joy.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:42 PM

279 posts, read 1,345,130 times
Personally, I never gave my daughter a pacifier. I just don't see any good coming out of it. My sister in law and a lot of other people on my husband's side constantly put pacifiers in their kid's mouths ( I mean, ALL DAY LONG). I just hated seeing these kids musseled up like dogs. So, I decided that I would not give them to my kids. And even though everyone knew how I felt about them, I still got them as gifts for my baby shower because everyone kept telling me that they were "lifesavers"..But I stuck to my guns and didn't give her one. Luckily, she doesn't suck on her thumb either.

I had read some articles that too much pacifier use would delay speech development and I must admit that my sister in law's kids started speaking very late. The younger one is almost 2 and he can barely say 10 words. His pediatrician told my sister in law that my 18 months, he should be saying 40 or more words!

This is just my opinion and what I feel is right for my kids but obviously, everyone must do what they feel is right for their own children.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshort View Post
I had read some articles that too much pacifier use would delay speech development and I must admit that my sister in law's kids started speaking very late. The younger one is almost 2 and he can barely say 10 words.
Not saying you are wrong but interestingly enough my first son who never had a pacifier was late speaking and my little guy with one wouldn't shut up from 1 years old!...LOL Goes to show you they are all individuals no matter what the articles say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting