Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:39 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I can't imagine why any mother would want to bring a baby into a supermarket in a stroller, ever, not even for a quart of milk. The notion is just totally foreign to me. But she did - and now she knows there are SO many other options for the future.
Maybe it is a city thing then. I took mine to the store in his stroller all the time; but it was one of the smaller ones that you use after they can sit up. I only did this if we'd walked to the store though. If we came in the car then I had a little cover that went over the seat in the cart.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Quote:
It must be a city thing then. I've never -ever- seen anyone come into the supermarket in any of the towns I've lived in, with a baby in a stroller. My mom brought me to the market in a collapsable baby carriage, back in the day. But even in those, the baby was facing mom, not facing a scary spooky aisle of shelves with so many overwhelming colors and shapes on them. Of course now they have car seats, and huggy sling things, and baby chest-packs, and all kinds of really neato options for moms so they can get things done and take care of their baby at the same time.

I can't imagine why any mother would want to bring a baby into a supermarket in a stroller, ever, not even for a quart of milk. The notion is just totally foreign to me. But she did - and now she knows there are SO many other options for the future.
....because shopping carts are disgusting and germ infested. I would rather use a stroller if I need to buy just one or 2 things.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
It must be a city thing then. I've never -ever- seen anyone come into the supermarket in any of the towns I've lived in, with a baby in a stroller. My mom brought me to the market in a collapsable baby carriage, back in the day. But even in those, the baby was facing mom, not facing a scary spooky aisle of shelves with so many overwhelming colors and shapes on them. Of course now they have car seats, and huggy sling things, and baby chest-packs, and all kinds of really neato options for moms so they can get things done and take care of their baby at the same time.

Because some people walk to the store with their babies because they don't have a car.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Maybe it is a city thing then. I took mine to the store in his stroller all the time; but it was one of the smaller ones that you use after they can sit up. I only did this if we'd walked to the store though. If we came in the car then I had a little cover that went over the seat in the cart.
Me too. Before we bought our home in the burbs and my first daughter was an infant, I'd walk with her in the stroller for quick trips to the corner store or the bakery.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I remember when I let my infant cry in her car seat at the grocery store. I was determined to get things done, in and out, because things had to get "done." In the back of my mind, I can hear people telling me that she will be okay if she cries a little. I was determined to do things like everybody else, that is, do what I needed to do regardless of a crying baby.

A young grocery store clerk came up to me and said "Lady, that is not very nice." I could tell he was more concerned about the baby than his own ears. I picked her up and finished my shopping with her in my arms. It was not easy but I realized something that day. I was not prepared for a crying baby. Plain and simple.

I made changes after that so that I could minimize her crying, not just in public but at home as well. One major change was buying a baby carrier. I wore the baby carrier and pushed the stroller as well. Eventually, I just packed away the stroller.

No, it is not easy to predict when a baby will cry but the reasons and solutions are not endless that you can't be prepared (unless you have a colicky baby.) Babies are either hungry, sleepy, need changing, or need to be held. Most of those you can time especially at 8 months old.

The old lady was out of line BUT can the OP make any changes to minimize the crying?
yes. Several were suggested. shopping cart covers, front carriers, making sure to shop when the baby doesn't need a nap, trading with a friend and shopping alone were all suggestions.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Except we are not talking about any of these things. It's a GROCERY STORE. It's not a wedding, school, funeral, church etc. It's not serious business. It's a store.
There is still a level of appropriate behavior for that setting, as I stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think I am getting close to done with this subject. No one has answered why they expect peace and quiet when they are out and about in public. The idea that we expect such a thing really shows how far out there some Americans are with their beliefs. Since when is a trip to the grocery store supposed to be akin to a nice dinner at a restaurant or a Sunday morning at church???
I don't know why you responded to my post with this as I never suggested anything of the sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
....because shopping carts are disgusting and germ infested. I would rather use a stroller if I need to buy just one or 2 things.
Chances are your stroller is disgusting and germ infested as well. A friend of mine is a micro biologist and she did a talk at our mom's group. She tested some things like our purse and diaper bag handles/straps, car key fobs, baby car seats, the plastic wipes container.... and they were all just as disgusting and germ infested as the bottoms of our shoes.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:15 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Chances are your stroller is disgusting and germ infested as well. A friend of mine is a micro biologist and she did a talk at our mom's group. She tested some things like our purse and diaper bag handles/straps, car key fobs, baby car seats, the plastic wipes container.... and they were all just as disgusting and germ infested as the bottoms of our shoes.
The difference is that the basket has other people's germs on it. Yes while your baby seat may not be the picture of cleanliness you know that it wasn't sneezed on, coughed on, spit up on, touched by a person who just used the bathroom and failed to wash their hands, etc. I'm sure to a micro biologist germs are germs but I never put my son in the seats of the basket without putting his cover over it and I washed the cover as soon as we got home.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
There is still a level of appropriate behavior for that setting, as I stated.

I don't know why you responded to my post with this as I never suggested anything of the sort.

So you're going to compare my stroller that I clean frequently to the handle of a grocery cart that has had people's snot rubbed all over it and their cough infested droplets? Oh and did I mention the salmonella and ecoli from the raw meat?
I think I'll take my stroller over a shopping cart any day. I'm not the only one who thinks this way. If I was those shopping seat covers wouldn't be selling so well now would they?

Last edited by KylieEve; 07-22-2010 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: .

Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
I can't imagine why any mother would want to bring a baby into a supermarket in a stroller, ever, not even for a quart of milk. The notion is just totally foreign to me.
My kids as babies loved looking around at all the stuff in the store. It never occurred to me not to use a stroller.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
The difference is that the basket has other people's germs on it. Yes while your baby seat may not be the picture of cleanliness you know that it wasn't sneezed on, coughed on, spit up on, touched by a person who just used the bathroom and failed to wash their hands, etc. I'm sure to a micro biologist germs are germs but I never put my son in the seats of the basket without putting his cover over it and I washed the cover as soon as we got home.

Awesome and intelligent post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting