Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,155,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
No, it is not odd for a baby to cry under those circumstances.
What is odd to me is that a mother prioritizes shopping over tending to those needs. It's too much to expect an 8mo old to be tired and cranky and then take him shopping. Of course he's going to cry. It's too much to expect an 8mo old to be hungry while you shop...they don't understand, they are just hungry and crying is the result. Sit the baby in the cart instead of in the stroller so he can look at you, you can touch him and engage him to alleviate boredom. Also, that's one less thing to juggle...everything is in the cart. I'll ask again, what was so urgent that it couldn't wait until the baby was tended to?
Because life doesn't stop when you have a baby. Groceries need to be bought, prescriptions need to be filled, school clothes need to be bought, etc. And sometimes babies cry and sometimes we need to just deal with it.

Why do you and others feel that every experience never be sullied by crying babies, slow moving people etc? I don't get that mindset at all.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:20 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,330,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
Today I was shopping with my 8 month old son. He is in the stroller, and crying non-stop. I picked him up, He stopped. then I put him back in the stroller, He started screaming again. I talked to him and tried to comfort him, but he is just crying. I decided to ignore him, getting things and checking out as quickly as possible.

When I was checking out, a old lady came to me. saying:" This is not right! This baby is crying for half an hour! You pick him up!" I was actually in the store for about 10 minutes. I told her, I couldn't do it when I was checking out. But she doesn't let it go, kept saying, This is not right! This is not Right!
I ignored her, She left. When I got my bags and strolled the baby out, she is waiting at the exit, saying, this is not right! blablabla....

I was really upset. I told her, I was not able to hold the baby, take the bags and push the stroller at the same time! Then I just left

What should I do if I meet things like this next time?
I haven't read responses of others but when my son was an infant, I would not go shopping with him without my sling!!!! Supermarkets can be quite cold, noisy, bright and all those other things that can make a baby uncomfortable. Having close to my body was much better for both us. I was able to get shopping done and he wouldn't cry at all.

In terms of your situation, I think the lady was concerned about your infant's needs but she could have been a little more sympathetic in the way she spoke to you. I believe the tone of her voice made the world of difference in how she made you feel.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:23 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,020,612 times
The OP did say that she picked him up and he stopped crying, but when she put him back in the stroller he started again. She didn't just ignore him completely.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:29 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,673,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And I NEVER left a STORE because of a crying baby. My family needs groceries and other items. That's the price of living in society - dealing with less than perfection.
Yes, and mothers who just continue shopping and allow their children to scream is less than perfect. Flawed, you might say.
Quote:
I am not sure where this entitled attitude came from, where people think everything in their lives need be a Non-Interrupted Experience. But I can assure you that Life doesn't work that way and that people need to educate themselves, realize and accept that small children, by nature, act differently from which is preferred or expected.
I'm not sure where this entitled attitude came from either. In years past, mothers wouldn't dream of allowing their children to scream for 10 minutes in a store without attending to that child. Now some mothers think everyone else should put up with that noise just to accommodate that one mother with the screaming child BECAUSE HER TIME IS SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY OF THE REST OF US. Why do those mothers feel so much more entitled than anyone else???
Quote:
Being old doesn't mean someone should automatically be conferred with the Wise Elder title. It's NOT odd for an 8 month old to cry for 10 minutes if she is tired, cranky, bored, hungry, etc. I am not against CIO. Although CIO is decidedly different than the natural act of a baby crying. And yes, you must tolerate less-than-perfect experiences when you live in society with different age groups and types of people.

As other people have stated not everyone has the time or luxury to just up and stop shopping because their child is crying.
When a child is 8 months old, the mother should certainly know when to feed, change or put down for a nap. We don't just take a child out during those times to antagonize everyone around us. We take care of the needs of the baby first, then go out in public. Again, the mother who does this sort of thing IS less than perfect. Flawed, you might say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I imagine you would have been more put out if the OP had held up the check out line to tend to her baby. I know I get annoyed when someone is talking on their cell when they should be getting out that debit card and paying attention to the cashier. She did try to tend to the baby. She could not manage to hold the child and check out at the same time. It is really amazing the way mothers can juggle toddlers, crying babies, shopping, cooking, working, etc. etc. and still keep their sanity, but they are still not perfect. So she has to put something ahead of a crying baby, that just wants to held, for a few minutes. Its been 20 yrs. since mine were babies, but I still remember times shopping was more urgent than worring about the general public having to hear my baby cray for a minute.
Again, this was at least 10 minutes, not one.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,330,244 times
NoExcuses, I guess you are a perfect mother and not flawed at all.

This is crazy. A woman comes here with suggestions of how to deal with this situation in the future. There is no reason to criticize her decision, it's in the past! She can use a sling or a baby carrier, she can make sure that the baby is fed and clean, she can try leaving the baby with someone else. There are many solutions to this very simple problem.

And if she happens to be in a public place and her baby cries (heaven forbid a baby should make any type of noise in a public place and disrupt "ADULTS" around her), she should just keep her cool and know that it's TEMPORARY and her baby will grow up one day.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 AM

852 posts, read 1,360,564 times
The mother wasn't getting a manicure, she was buying groceries, which I'm interpreting as food for her family. She may have fed, napped, and changed the baby before she left the house, and the baby still got fussy. It happens. We can be decent human beings and respond by doing something like helping carrying her groceries, or we can be complete self-centered clods and respond with nasty comments, stares, or completely unfounded judgments about her parenting.

All I have to say is that if some of you have such a low tolerance for what is a fairly normal range of human behavior, don't ever take a train or a bus in a major metro like NYC. Crying babies are the least of it.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,673,217 times
No, I'm not perfect, but I do not infringe on someone else's privacy or peace. I never allowed my babies to cry for any length of time in a store, I always left and came back. Why would I subject others to my crying baby.

Besides, I cared too much for my babies to allow them to cry like that in a store. I attended to their needs first, then my own. When they became old enough to bahave, I expected them to buck up and be well behaved in a store.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,020,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
No, I'm not perfect, but I do not infringe on someone else's privacy or peace. I never allowed my babies to cry for any length of time in a store, I always left and came back. Why would I subject others to my crying baby.

Besides, I cared too much for my babies to allow them to cry like that in a store. I attended to their needs first, then my own. When they became old enough to bahave, I expected them to buck up and be well behaved in a store.
HA HA HA HA!!! LOL! privacy and peace in a grocery store????

Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Yes, and mothers who just continue shopping and allow their children to scream is less than perfect. Flawed, you might say.I'm not sure where this entitled attitude came from either. In years past, mothers wouldn't dream of allowing their children to scream for 10 minutes in a store without attending to that child. Now some mothers think everyone else should put up with that noise just to accommodate that one mother with the screaming child BECAUSE HER TIME IS SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY OF THE REST OF US. Why do those mothers feel so much more entitled than anyone else???When a child is 8 months old, the mother should certainly know when to feed, change or put down for a nap. We don't just take a child out during those times to antagonize everyone around us. We take care of the needs of the baby first, then go out in public. Again, the mother who does this sort of thing IS less than perfect. Flawed, you might say.Again, this was at least 10 minutes, not one.

Pure and total BS. Years ago, people were wayyyyyyyy more family oriented and accepting of children, especially babies, crying. Nowadays, it's all about adults and it sucks.

How is a crying child impeding on your time? How does it prevent you from doing what you are doing? Answer: it doesn't. You just might have to deal with less than optimum sounds. I know the pain that must cause you.

Yet again, sometimes people HAVE to shop with a crying baby in order to get their families' needs met. Life is imperfect. Deal.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
HA HA HA HA!!! LOL! privacy and peace in a grocery store????
From this and other threads, it's quite obvious we are dealing with Perfect Mother Syndrome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.