U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:20 PM

149 posts, read 733,113 times

Advertisements

Today I was shopping with my 8 month old son. He is in the stroller, and crying non-stop. I picked him up, He stopped. then I put him back in the stroller, He started screaming again. I talked to him and tried to comfort him, but he is just crying. I decided to ignore him, getting things and checking out as quickly as possible.

When I was checking out, a old lady came to me. saying:" This is not right! This baby is crying for half an hour! You pick him up!" I was actually in the store for about 10 minutes. I told her, I couldn't do it when I was checking out. But she doesn't let it go, kept saying, This is not right! This is not Right!
I ignored her, She left. When I got my bags and strolled the baby out, she is waiting at the exit, saying, this is not right! blablabla....

I was really upset. I told her, I was not able to hold the baby, take the bags and push the stroller at the same time! Then I just left

What should I do if I meet things like this next time?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:23 PM

24,467 posts, read 28,688,010 times
I would have done the same thing you did. That is one of those situations when I wouldn't have said much, but would have run through the conversation over and over and thought of things I wish I had said to that rude woman! Don't worry about it!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,135,313 times
Using a baby carrier (similar to the baby Bjorn carriers) made grocery shopping so much easier for me when dd was a baby. I got to hold her and have my hands completely free. It also gave me the freedom to cook dinner and get chores done around the house. I used an ergo and a Mei tei at that age. Very comfortable.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,841,321 times
I never used strollers because they are just one more thing to juggle. Don't let the old lady bother you. I'll never forget when I went to the grocery store to pick up medication my doctor called in for me. I was sick as a dog! I mean, I was DREADFULLY sick. After picking up my medication at the pharmacy, I picked of a few necessities. I'm standing in the checkout line with my daughter up on my shoulder and she's spitting up all over me. People were staring at me and glaring at the spitup all over my shoulder like I was a lowly trash *****. I think my daughter's face was laying in the spitup! I was that sick! Honestly, I just did not care what anyone thought. I KNEW I was a good mother! What they thought didn't matter. And what people think shouldn't matter to you either.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 PM

852 posts, read 1,134,422 times
You handled the situation as well as you could have, and if that woman was really concerned, she should have helped you or gotten someone to help you so that you could tend to your child.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,775,689 times
I wouldn't worry about what strangers in a grocery store think. Babies cry. Deal with it.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,705,758 times
My post was too long and rambly so I deleted it all...

OP I think you did the best that you could have done in that situation. That lady should have minded her own business.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,232,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Using a baby carrier (similar to the baby Bjorn carriers) made grocery shopping so much easier for me when dd was a baby. I got to hold her and have my hands completely free. It also gave me the freedom to cook dinner and get chores done around the house. I used an ergo and a Mei tei at that age. Very comfortable.
I would second this one.I always used a baby carrier where ever I went.I loved it and so did my babies.Hands free was the key!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,255,151 times
I think you did your best, that's what I did whenever it happened to me. I never planned long trips to stores, just quick ones. I do remember a woman and her teenage dd giving me the evil eye once at a grocery store, with the mother declaring loudly as she walked by, "people shouldn't bring babies shopping".

My babies were always too large for a baby carrier, for instance my youngest was 10 lbs at birth and 20 lbs. by 4 months. I tried various carriers, but my babies never liked them, and they always hurt some part or other of me, due to their weight. (I'm only 5' 2") But if you don't have that problem, I agree you could definitely try a baby carrier. And I was a nursing mom, and my babies wouldn't take a pacifier, but will your baby take one?

Old 07-20-2010, 05:51 AM

5,944 posts, read 6,371,834 times
I'd tell her to go fly a kite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or