Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:01 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I don't know what is going on with him. Whenever the TV is on he puts it on a channel called the weather network which is weather 24/7. I don't understand his fascination with this when he could be watching cartoons.
Anyone else's 7 year old have a fascination with a particular topic?
When my son was that age he was fascinated with weather and natural disasters. Volcanoes, tornadoes, floods, tidal waves.......He still loves weather, but is not quite as obsessed as he was when he was little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Try this site.

FEMA For Kids: The Disaster Area

Old 07-22-2010, 02:14 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
I am a meteorologist at the Natl Weather Service in Grand Forks ND. I was fascinated by weather at a very very early age. I would play with cars and pretend I was driving in snow (even to the point of using baby powder to put on the road track to simulate snow). I would also love to draw maps and put weather symbols on them and draw fronts. I grew up just a bit before the weather channel (it came out while I was in high school in the early 80s)..but I did watch all the local TV weather people and A.M. Weather which was on early in the day on PBS here in the states.

Anyway....this is an interest I carried to this day. But on the other hand I have talked to young kids at that age and there were fascinated by weather for a few years but later turned to something else, such as hockey, which most boys in my area get into.

Like any hobby, if you will, encourage him to read books on weather at the library or order some tornado videos. There are weather kits out there (mostly on-line) that one can set up easily and the person goes out and reads the temperature and rainfall daily and puts it in his own weather log. I had one for many years and loved doing it. Also there are cloud charts available so he can study the different type of clouds.

I see you are in Canada, and check with Evironment Canada website for info on kids activities. The point being, instead of sitting and watching TV all the time let him get out and explore the weather my describing the type of clouds he sees or taking his own observations.

Here are some ideas from Ev Canada website for Ontario

Environment Canada - Weather and Meteorology - Publications

Environment Canada Kids Page (http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/kids_e.html - broken link)

Weather-Pathfinder: KidsSpace: Toronto Public Library

Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 AM

812 posts, read 1,907,633 times
Have you asked him what he likes about it? Does he still have other interests or hobbies or is it weather 24/7? I am sure there are much worse things he could be interested in!

My friend has a DS that is obsessed with trains. Nothing but Thomas all day, lines up the trains, carries them around....it is his current obsession. I think I might prefer weather--cheaper and quiet part is good! Our weather channel has elevator music and lots of commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting