Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Awww! Your post made me miss when my girls were babies. Enjoy him!
Thanks, I try to enjoy him as much as possible. Trying to figure out a way to stay at home for a while, too. I swear, he is the only reason I would consider leaving a well-paying job and complete financial security, but he is also the reason I am working as well. I don't think I ever had such a tough decision in my life, till now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 03:59 PM

45 posts, read 128,357 times
I play with my kids (9 & 2 yr old boys). In the morning, DS1 sleeps in and I have one-on-one time with DS2. When DS2 takes his nap, I do "therapy" and have one-on-one time with DS1. Housework comes after my kids. I became a SAHM for them. I don't want our time together consisting of them doing stuff and me supervising. Soon they'll be choosing to be with their friends over me, so I'm taking it all in while I still can. Luckily my parents are visiting us for the summer. While they spend time with the kids, I get to have some down time here and there.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:24 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
LOL...I enjoyed that piece.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,182 times
I am a stay at home. I have busy days and nothing to do days. Busy days are when I am volunteering at my kids schools. We have had cut backs, so I help with tasks around the school. I also oversee the Girl Scout troops in 3 counties, that keeps me pretty busy a few days a week. In between those busy days, I have a huge garden. We grow enough food to fill over 300 canning jars each summer. So my busy time canning should start in just a few weeks as the tomatoes, peppers, beans, corn, etc start producing.

Now that my kids are 8 & 10, things are much easier then when they were 1 & 3. They can help me, they can do things without constant supervision, etc. I can sleep until 8 am, something I never did when they were little. We were up by 6 am everyday, no matter what was happening. At that time I owned a business, so life was crazy. There were days I had to bring my kids to my store because my husband was working overtime. I am not sure how I survived those days, lol.

My kids recently asked what I do all day. They think I watch tv all day and there are some days when I do, lol. But I don't tell them that!

That was a good read!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Like others here, I posted on the forums more when I was at work.

I usually start my day on the internet. That's how I wake up----the internet and coffee. It's also how I wind down before taking a bath before bed.

When I have insomnia, I'll spend time on the internet, read a book, or watch TV. I'm not the type of person to lay in bed when I can't sleep.

Since my children are now young adults still living at home, being a 'parent' requires much less of my time.

When I'm busy, I'll sit down at the computer for a short bit between chores or activies.

It doesn't take time to post on the forums. I type 95wpm.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,084 times
I am also a sahm.... I usually check my emails and read these forums in the early am or late at night, like now. Once in awhile I get some downtime in the afternoon if the kids are occupying themselves, but that is not a consistent thing.
My day starts around 5:30am, I get up before everyone else (my kids are up by 6:30) and I will work out , usually a walk or run if hubby is in town..... then the day starts....
Breakfast,cleanup,laundry,get kids dressed,play with kids,snacktime,cleanup, maybe check computer if kids are playing, crafts,more playing,whatever household chores that need to be done,or errand running,lunchtime,cleanup,more playing,decide what to make for dinner,make dinner,cleanup dinner,play time with kids,bath time,snacktime,cleanup,story time,bed time.... computer time!
Of course there are about 100 other things going on like running them to & from activities,etc....
The school year creates an entirely more busy schedule.

I never wanted to be a stay at home parent, it just kind of happened. My career wouldn't have allowed the flexibility that one needs to be a parent, so I stayed home.
I don't know how working parents do it honestly. I am always up by 5:30am and NEVER in bed before 11pm..... most of the time I am doing "work". Folding laundry is usually my nightime job

Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
I'm a homeschooling mom. Right now we're "off" from schoolwork. You'd think that my workload would have decreased, but it hasn't... without school work to do, the kids get on each others' and my nerves all day long, so it's near-constant chaos. We also moved cross-country last month, so I was very busy with packing and unpacking. Now I had a couple of weeks to relax. Next week, the kids have VBS, which is a nice break, then the Monday after, we'll start schoolwork again. I'm looking forward to the routine... it's been a bit of a crazy and lazy month, and I want to feel productive again!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
I am a stay at home. I have busy days and nothing to do days. Busy days are when I am volunteering at my kids schools. We have had cut backs, so I help with tasks around the school. I also oversee the Girl Scout troops in 3 counties, that keeps me pretty busy a few days a week. In between those busy days, I have a huge garden. We grow enough food to fill over 300 canning jars each summer. So my busy time canning should start in just a few weeks as the tomatoes, peppers, beans, corn, etc start producing.

Now that my kids are 8 & 10, things are much easier then when they were 1 & 3. They can help me, they can do things without constant supervision, etc. I can sleep until 8 am, something I never did when they were little. We were up by 6 am everyday, no matter what was happening. At that time I owned a business, so life was crazy. There were days I had to bring my kids to my store because my husband was working overtime. I am not sure how I survived those days, lol.

My kids recently asked what I do all day. They think I watch tv all day and there are some days when I do, lol. But I don't tell them that!

That was a good read!
See, for me, it has become more difficult... my kids are 5 & 8 and they DO NOT sleep in, up by 6:30am almost every,single day, no matter what time they go to bed. They want me to still play with them, all of the time,unless they are watching tv... I don't allow the tv on during the day though, it is shut off by 9am and that is it ,once in awhile, if it is a rainy day or something, they will watch a movie or something.....
I wish they would sleep in, that would be wonderful!!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:51 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
I wish they would sleep in, that would be wonderful!!
Give them a few years...most likely that won't be an issue anymore!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,044 times
I am a SAHM and trust me there are days that go by when I can't even think about posting on cd or let alone getting near a computer. My days get pretty filled with keeping house, shopping, playing, teaching, snuggling and cuddling with my wee one and also doing the same for the big baby of the house Mr. X.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting