Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
How was the guy to know it was a teenager?

He shouldn't know.

If he doesn't know, he shouldn't attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If you lived in a state where it is perfectly legal to carry a gun out in the open, (and where all it takes is a two hour class to get a concealed weapons permit) would YOU go around knocking on stranger's doors at night as a way of getting your kicks?
It's legal to carry guns in my state, but residents aren't known for being heavy castle protecters. Maybe the residents of your state are more volatile.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:58 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
We've just had a rash of home invasions in our area conducted by teens. They came in and pointed guns at the residents while stealing their belongings, trashing the homes, and then driving off in the residents' vehicles.

How do you know in advance if it's a teen prank or a teen criminal? These kids should be glad they're not dead.
This post really caught my eye, b/c this is exactly what I was thinking. We have a problem here where I live with ARMED underage kids kicking in front doors and assaulting homeowners and robbing the house. Sometimes there are three or more kids involved in the robberies. It is shocking but the majority of these thugs are under 21 and many are under 18! And the kids have rap sheets and are repeat offenders, at these young ages.

So, homeowners are very on edge here. Anyone beats on my door after dark and I will be toting my shotgun to the door. I certainly would not be shooting without assessing the situation, but we are being told that the thugs kick in doors, and are in the premises and running into the bedrooms within SECONDS. So if one does not have a firearm ready to aim and fire, then homeowners are being overtaken.

My feeling is the father of this kid is sending the wrong message. His son was in the wrong, period. The message he should be sending his son is - you take your life in your hands when trespassing on someone's property after dark. Period. THe father should be emphasizing that what may seem like a silly prank to immature kids may appear to be a real threat to a homeowner.

THe father should have used this as an opportunity to teach his son that actions have consequences. Dad said he was going to punish his son, but then turning around and pressing charges against someone when his son was the one that precipitated the homeowner's response seems ridiculous.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:59 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I bet this is going to be an interesting thread.

While I don't in any way condone the behavior of the teens who "rang Van Plew's doorbell and pounded on his back door at about 10:30 p.m.", I do think the homeowner overreacted when he "yelled at them and Van Plew followed and tackled Mateo". Apparently he aggressively attacked the teen, giving him a "a cut on his elbow, bruise over his eye and a bloody lip". Both the homeowner and teens were out of line, both should be punished.
I have to disagree with you that the homeowner should be charged. Perhaps he wasn't aware that the person he tackled was a child until he was on the ground. The kid put himself in that situation. I think he got exactly what he asked for.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:26 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So when I stop by my sister's house, unannounced and uninvited, and knock on the door I'm trespassing?
I just gave you the definition. I suppose, if she doesn't want you there, then the answer is YES.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I just gave you the definition. I suppose, if she doesn't want you there, then the answer is YES.

Mhm. Yes, that makes TOTAL AND LOGICAL sense.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I never heard of this name for it and in our town it was only played the night before Halloween or on Halloween. Also the kids did not *pound* on the door, they just rang the doorbell and ran away.
Quote:
Police said the teenager and three friends rang Van Plew's doorbell and pounded on his back door at about 10:30 p.m.
Yes, they did.

What a little ass. That teen deserved far more than what he got.
Quote:
Madeo's son claimed he had a knife in his pocket and threatened to kill the homeowner. It turned out to be a cellphone in his pocket. Van Plew also said that Madeo's son kept up a vile barrage of profanities, including crude sexual remarks about Van Plew's wife.

Read more: A 'ding dong ditch' clickfest -- Page 2 -- Times Union - Albany NY

Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
He was tackled. He received the cuts and bruises somehow. He was attacked and assaulted. Unacceptable behavior by a so-called adult.
What would you have done, given him a time-out? Talked to him about what he was feeling that prompted his bad behavior? Give me a breaking break!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
You don't. That is why you don't shoot first and ask questions later.
Kids need to understand that what they see as pranks may get them killed. Another of the home invasions here last week involved a team of criminals, not teens this time, where a woman knocked on the back door of a home crying that her boyfriend had been beating her, and when the elderly resident went to it, the men burst in the front door with guns and beat his wife before stealing all their money and their car.

Once something like that happens, people get a bit jittery, especially when it happens several times in one week, as it did here.

So would you assume that someone banging on your door at night is a teen committing a prank or a criminal out to do your family harm?

What do you think the resident should have done?

And why do you think it's harmless for teens to trespass, disturb the peace, and commit malicious mischief?

Old 07-24-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
What would you have done, given him a time-out? Talked to him about what he was feeling that prompted his bad behavior? Give me a breaking break!

What would I have done if they pounded on my door?

A-If I saw them, I probably would have yelled at them
B-If I didn't see them, I'd call the cops.

If it were MY kid doing that?

Punish them.

See? No guns or violence involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting