Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,605,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
As long as a number of different styles of jeans are offered, much ado about nothing, IMO. Still plenty of girls out there who are genetically prone to be thin children, and their parents are probably glad to be able to find clothes that actually fit their 'beanpole' for a change instead of having to belt something overly baggy onto them.
As a parent of one such girl (back when she was that young..), I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
We tend to buy trendy/fashionable clothes for my son, who is the oldest at 5. He has several pairs of what are considered "skinny" jeans, but they fit him better than a lot of the other cuts. My girls are still too young to have much in the way of fashion choices, but I plan on dressing them in the current styles. There are some things I am not a fan of like lettering across the butt, but there aren't many cuts and styles overall that I would have a problem with.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
As a parent, I buy clothes that fit my children. If that happened to be so-called skinny pants, I suppose I would have no objection. However, I luckily have boys.
Well, they can be handy for boys as well!

As others have noted, some kids are very skinny in their body type and trying to find clothes that fit is hard. The skinny jeans are good for that! I'm hoping they don't go out of style before my son starts fitting into other cuts or we'd be up a creek.

He's 16, tallish and a rail. Shopping with him is pure torture. Skinny jeans on him is what is normal on anyone else.

I don't have a girl, but like others, I don't see it as a big deal - no different than what we wore in the 80's and what seems to be coming back anyway as leggings now.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,817 times
I have an 8-year-old who has always been very skinny. I wasn't able to find her jeans that fit until skinny jeans (we buy them at J.C. Penny and Children's Place) became available. She is so happy to have jeans that aren't falling off her.

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as they cover her bottom and waist.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:47 AM

852 posts, read 1,364,815 times
I was always too tall for stirrup pants, but I do remember lying on the bed and hooking a wire hanger through zipper of my Calvins because they were so tight, I couldn't zip them otherwise.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:31 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,202 times
I don't see any difference between skinny jeans, leggings, stirrups, or opaque tights in general. Certain body types can wear them, certain types cannot. Certain ways look appropriate while others do not.

My oldest daughter (now 28) was a chunky girl, my second (now 24) was average and my third (12) is skinny. Those looks never fit/worked for the first, some did for the second and with the third they fit perfect. I don't have a problem with the kids with them

It's when they get to be tweens/teens/young adults and they choose things that are a bit inappropriate they the style possibly becomes offensive or worse.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:54 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,333 times
I hated wearing jeans when I was younger because they were baggy and not comfortable. I would have loved skinny jeans. The jeans alone are not going to promote eating disorders; most of the people buying these jeans are going to be parents of skinny children. At that age when I outgrew clothes I never thought I was fat. I always assumed that I grew out of clothes because I was a kid, and kids grow!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
I fail to see how skinny jeans are any different than tights or leggings.

THINK ABOUT IT.

People put their daughters in leggings all the time. They're tighter than skinny jeans.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:11 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,280,684 times
I am STOKED over the skinny jeans. My little girl is TINY. Her waist can still fit a six X but her legs are a 7(almost 8). It is a massive pain to find her jeans before skinnys came back. Do you know how hard it is to find a slim jean in dept stores at a reasonable price? But you can find husky everywhere.

I was super skinny as a child too, I wish I had that problem now... I digress, I loved leggings and the sweater dress. I wore jordache acid wash with the zipper ankles. Skinny jeans are not anything new. Watch any 80's rock video.

As for eating disorders, that is not from clothing. Most anorexics can be 95 lbs or less and still think they are fat. I have known some with eating disorders... it was more about control over their bodies than trying to fit into a fashion mold.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I wore jordache acid wash with the zipper ankles.
Jordache! The memories! Loved how they weren't hemmed. It was the only way I could buy jeans long enough for me.

You're younger than me though. Zipper ankles were my sister's fashion---6 years younger.

It's amazing how 6 years can create an entirely different fashion generation for people who are technically in the same generation, age wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting