Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:32 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
That quality is going to get you into trouble guaranteed. Until you have a valid reason to not trust them etc besides them not going outside leave them alone.
I just thought of something....maybe they are vampires LOL Go bring them some garlic and see how they react.
Depends on the kind of vampires you are dealing with. Garlic does nothing to Forks, WA type vampires...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Depends on the kind of vampires you are dealing with. Garlic does nothing to Forks, WA type vampires...

That's right it would have no effect on Edward but would on Bill and the traditional vampires. I think I've been reading too much twilight and sookie stackhouse

Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Now here's the other side of the coin...

When I was 12 yrs old, there was a family that moved in across the street. The whole family really kept to themselves and the girls were both close to my age.

Well, this was the first time there was someone my age on the block, so I made a real effort to seek them out at school. We gradually became good friends. Then the younger one confided in me that now that she started her period, her dad isn't having sex with her anymore.

Well, I told my mom and she spent the afternoon on the phone. Then the next day, I found out they had MOVED OUT OVERNIGHT.

So, sometimes that creepy vibe really IS trying to tell you something.
Wow, that is a sad story. Wonder if you have ever tried to locate that girl...
As for the OP's situation, I wonder if our neighbor's say something about us but it is soooo hot outside that I prefer to be inside and so do my children. And when it was -10 degrees outside for one week we didn't go outside either, which reminds we need to get an outside freezer.

Something else to think about is some kids have allergies nowadays, what if theirs is allergic to bugs, pollen, grass, trees, etc.???

I guess the OP could go up to the door and just plainly ask, "did we offend you or something?, is everything okay?" and if they leave over night, well something was definitely wrong.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:48 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,124 times
My friend who is a police officer says the best home protection is a nosy neighbor. lol.

I'm torn. Part of me thinks "mind your own business," but then the other part of me wonders what the op's instincts are picking up on. Sometimes the vibe, so to speak, is hard to communicate in this medium. The first thing I thought of is that poor girl who was kept in a makeshift tent "house" in a backyard for what, twelve years?

Just a thought.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Cheer up. Maybe they've been watching your house and family for the last four years thinking you aren't a "normal" family.

Do any of the other neighbors feel the way you do? Anybody else got a hinky feeling?

(BTW: Team Edward.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-27-2010 at 04:31 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Hey, is your name by any chance Gladys Kravitz??????????

You know Darren & Samantha really thought Gladys was a pain in the arse

Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
My friend who is a police officer says the best home protection is a nosy neighbor. lol.

I'm torn. Part of me thinks "mind your own business," but then the other part of me wonders what the op's instincts are picking up on. Sometimes the vibe, so to speak, is hard to communicate in this medium. The first thing I thought of is that poor girl who was kept in a makeshift tent "house" in a backyard for what, twelve years?

Just a thought.
this is a good point. Jaycee Duggard could have used some nosey neighbors.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:22 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post

Just a thought.

That's pretty much where I'm at with it. Part of me says "no big deal, everyone's different and some people just don't enjoy socializing" but the other part tells me there's a possibility something else is going on. Hmm..

Old 07-27-2010, 07:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
I had neighbors at one point in my life wh/ sounded much like this situation. They had one son, but the family was rarely seen outside or even in casual encounters such as grocery shopping (small town - it was common to run into folks you knew every single time you ran an errand). I would see the husband out shopping or getting gas, but the wife was rarely seen - even in her yard. She looked very timid and would never let me inside her house when I had attempted to get to know her (and have the kids play together) when they first moved in.

I had this terrible feeling from Day One that something was very wrong in that house, but never discussed it with anyone. After the third attempt at inviting the lady and her son to go to the park w/ my son and me (or take in a movie - just some casual outings) . . . I felt like I was putting pressure on her and she seemed so sad and uncomfortable so I never attempted to contact her again.

The last time I stopped at her house to invite her out, I told her - "I am only 3 houses away. You never know when there could be an emergency, so if you ever need me, don't hesitate."

Two or so years past, and then one morning after my hubby (and hers) had gone to work, she showed up at my door. I was soo surprised. She told me she didn't know where to turn. Her husband had essentially made her a prisoner in the house (she had no car - was stuck at home all day and then was not "allowed" out at nite after husband was home). She said she could not even participate in things at school (such as being a grade mother) b/c she had no car and her husband got furious if she had phone calls from other people, etc. etc. It was a horrific mess. She was afraid her husband would find out she had contacted anyone but she had a medical problem and he would not allow her to go to the doctor (no public transportation in our little town).

Anyway, I luckily was friends w/ the Chief of Police (he lived up the street, lol) and so I confidentially called him and he put this lady in contact w/ mental health professionals who met her at my house and moved her and her son into a temporary women's shelter. He had beaten his wife so badly, she did have injuries, but they were all where no one would see them. For ex., hitting her head was his favorite tactic and that was why she needed to see a physician.

So you never know, folks. Sometimes there is something terribly wrong. However, unless a person reaches out, there is nothing you can do. I have thought back to that day I told this particular woman to remember me in case of an emergency. That was just a polite gesture on my part, but what if I had not said that to her?

It doesn't help to speculate or for folks in the community to "gossip," but if there is a real problem, just letting someone know you care could be a very meaningful gesture.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,326 times
Maybe they notice you watching them and stay in because you make them uncomfortable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting