U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2010, 04:49 PM

5,748 posts, read 7,100,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I have to spread the reps around...
Thank you. Just wanted to inject some reality into this thread! Now, I have to do some laundry and start dinner in my messy house with its not-quite-ready-for-primetime occupants.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 04:51 PM

852 posts, read 688,625 times
I can't remember what the topic of this thread was !

Old 08-10-2010, 04:54 PM

852 posts, read 688,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Thank you. Just wanted to inject some reality into this thread! Now, I have to do some laundry and start dinner in my messy house with its not-quite-ready-for-primetime occupants.
There are stuffed dogs all over my living room floor, and I'm pretty sure my seven-year-old is sneaking a can of my diet pop into the back yard. Somebody call CPS because, clearly, my a$$ is unqualified for this parenting stuff.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:58 PM

5,748 posts, read 7,100,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
There are stuffed dogs all over my living room floor, and I'm pretty sure my seven-year-old is sneaking a can of my diet pop into the back yard. Somebody call CPS because, clearly, my a$$ is unqualified for this parenting stuff.
Rest assured, you're in good company, and I don't doubt that you are a more than good enough parent. I'm also sure that the OP's wife, while she may be struggling, is not deserving of the criticism that has been thrown her direction from many participants of this thread.

And, for those of us who are having absolutely rotten days,* we will start again tomorrow, and everything will be a-okay. And, if it isn't, you're all invited to my house for a glass of wine and b**** session. I promise it's better than therapy!

*Have I mentioned that I'm currently being cyber-harassed/stalked by an unknown party, and I've spent hours on the phone everyday for the past two weeks following up leads, worrying about my family's safety and trying the minimize the damage. That's another reason I'm not sleeping, so, YEAH, I'M EXHAUSTED!

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-10-2010 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 05:07 PM

16,927 posts, read 13,866,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
You don't? A lot of people have memories of before kindergarten.
vague ones. Not as vivid as teenage memories. Why are we arguing about this?

ETA I remember HOW I WAS PARENTED AS A TEEN which is specifically the point of this forum - PARENTING. I have some vague memories of being a preschooler. I remember being sent to my room, but I don't remember a lot of specifics about how I was disciplined or things I was taught. Can we stop splitting hairs now?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 PM

14,426 posts, read 8,491,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
You compared dogs to children, not me. I will say, some should get an animal before having a child. Pets and kids are similar to the point of they both need food, water, love and shelter. If you can't take care of a pet, then you don't need a child.

Why should I. Your view is just that, YOURS. It doesn't bother me. Just like my view shouldn't bother you.

People with/without children or whatever can roam in/out of any forum. I choose to see what you guys are doing from time to time.

btw: Some of you parents DON'T get it either. This is from childfree and parents. I see some of the things some parents say to others. It's laughable. Because, you're a parent doesn't mean you get it. It means you have a kid.

When did I compare dogs to children? Pets and kids are NOTHING AT ALL ALIKE. I HATE when childfree people say they are.

Your view doesn't bother me but I do post on message boards to exchange information and it's helpful to know where I am getting the info from.

I'd love an example of your BTW.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Parenting should NOT be exhausting. It is the most natural thing that exists.No difference at all.

LOLOLOLOL

Sex is exhausting. NATURAL.

Work is exhasuting. NATURAL.

BFing is exhausting. NATURAL.

Exercising is exhausting. NATURAL.

LMFAO

Old 08-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I have memories of nursery school, and I have very vivid memories of being 3 years old, when my sister was born. I remember entire events, specific days, and mundane moments. I remember my temper tantrums...I thought everyone remembered this stuff. Maybe some people just have lousy memories, and assume, incorrectly, that everyone else does too. Just like I assumed incorrectly that everyone remembers being a preschooler.

Amazing to learn that it's a parent who doesn't remember being a child. It definitely explains some mysteries.

Quite frankly, I don't care if you remember coming out of the chute. It's proven that adults' memories of being a child are colored by their life experience and their current mood. IOW, they aren't that great of tool to rely on.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 PM

5,572 posts, read 7,986,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well if you are going to compare dogs to human children, have at it. ...
Love it.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:11 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,561,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Are the childfree people any different than the people with toddlers and babies offering their wisdom on teenagers?
Quote:
I at least remember BEING a teenager.
Quote:
Do you honestly think that those without children CANNOT remember being teens?
Quote:
That's not what I said. The question was - is a person with no kids offering advice the same as a parent, but w/o teens offering advice on teens.

I remember being a teen. No one remembers being a preschooler. That is my point.
Quote:
Quote:
vague ones. Not as vivid as teenage memories. Why are we arguing about this?

ETA I remember HOW I WAS PARENTED AS A TEEN which is specifically the point of this forum - PARENTING. I have some vague memories of being a preschooler. I remember being sent to my room, but I don't remember a lot of specifics about how I was disciplined or things I was taught. Can we stop splitting hairs now?
You stated NO ONE remembers being a preschooler. An incorrect blanket statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting