U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:30 PM

20,797 posts, read 32,438,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Why do you need to buy her underwear, socks and bras? Do her underwear, socks and bras that she's been wearing this summer not fit her anymore? To me, there's no sense in buying new stuff like that unless the stuff she currently has doesn't fit her.

I'm surprised not many people have said this, but yes, I do think your list is a bit much. Usually my kids just wear their clothes from the summer the first 4 or 5 weeks of school since it's still warm enough. Then, once the weather starts getting crummier, we'll buy jeans, sweaters, etc. My kids get a new outfit or two for the first couple days of school just so they can look nice on the first/second days, but other than that, they just wear the clothes they already have. I'd try to spread the purchases out because a.) there is a good possibility the jeans and cold weather clothes you buy her in August won't fit in February and b.) after school gets rolling she can see what the other kids are wearing and can get a sense of what the fashions are.
Bras and underwear wear out too. We typically buy new bras and underwear in the fall, not so much in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 03:43 PM

3,578 posts, read 2,504,967 times
I will say that my sisters and I never went back to school shopping for clothes. We got clothes throughout the year and just wore them.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:08 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,579,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I personally would buy more than one hoodie though. My kids always had 5 to 7 hoodies. They would have owned less if they they wore them like coats. But kids these days RARELY Take off their hoodies while they are at school, especially middle school years. As a result, I hated the thought of my children wearing the same hoodie everyday. I did spread the hoodie purchases out over a period of months though. I didn't go out and buy 7 hoodies all within a few weeks. I just always picked up a hoodie or two when I would see a good sale, then I'd go home and toss the worn out ones or put them away with the camping gear.
This is a very good point. My kids wear a hoodie to school with a t-shirt underneath it almost every day, at least in the winter months. Hoodies aren't really used like coats. The zip up Columbia fleeces are also really nice.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:16 PM

43,017 posts, read 49,727,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
This is a very good point. My kids wear a hoodie to school with a t-shirt underneath it almost every day, at least in the winter months. Hoodies aren't really used like coats. The zip up Columbia fleeces are also really nice.
Exactly. My children always have a t-shirt or long sleeved shirt under their hoodies, but they rarely took their hoodies off at that age. I didn't want them appearing to be wearing the same clothes every day. And I surely didn't want to re-wash a hoodie every night either. I preferred that they owned multiple hoodies since they wore hoodies like clothes, not like a jacket or coat.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 PM

5,515 posts, read 3,269,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I went to Private Catholic school K-12 and I have never ever seen a uniform that even slightly resembled that. Even at Schoolbells (the uniform store which carried all the diffrent plaids and such for schools in our area) they didn't carry a skirt like that.We didn't even wear plaid, we wore a houndstooth pattern, you could wear make up, jewlery (although they didn't allow piercings besides one in each ear) or open back shoes. I thought it was reasonable. It prepared me for the work place where I might have to have a dress code.

Last time i checked cop outfits are neither "cute" nor "flattering:

I would definitely "jump in a wood chipper" before I had to "be caught dead in some busted frumpy" cop uniform
At the work place you don't have a dress code like a school would though.
Uniform schools tell you what you can wear, polo/sweater/pants/shorts in this, this or that color.

At work, you can wear anything from business casual to something more formal whatever is required.

Where I work, Monday-Friday is casual, tennis shoes, jeans and a shirt. Saturday and Sunday however is business casual. No jeans and just over all dress a bit dressier.

You have a whole range of options in the real world at work.
Vs. the limited options of a uniform.

Plus business attire looks good on people. I LOVE getting to wear business casual on civilian ride alongs. I look like a detective and pretty damn good if I must say.

And my cop uniform does not look frumpy. My SWAT stuff looks even better.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I live less than five miles from you, txtqueen, and I've never seen uniforms like those in Parker or any of the other south suburbs.
ok, A) that's scary B) it was when I lived in upstate NY and C) OMFG you live THAT close to me...

*moves* no jk

Old 08-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My kids go to a uniform school. Boys wear polos with the school crest. The polos come in black, red or white. Boys wear pleated shorts (khaki or blue) in a longer length. Girls wear the same polos with flat front, shorter shorts (not super short, but shorter than the boys). There is a jumper for lower school (PK3-6) but only the really little girls wear them. They can wear any shoes they like as long as they are closed. Upper school girls (7-12) can wear makeup and fix their hair any way they like.

I don't think kids should wear ultra low rise jeans, sofee shorts and flip flops to school. Those would not be permitted in the public schools around here (I have taught at the middle/high school level).
They've been permitted at all the schools I have ever gone to.
As long as your buttcrack isn't showing they don't measure how far your pants are up on your waist.
And I hate shoes, I have tennis shoes for when I work out, boots for my uniform and the rest of the time I am in flip flops.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:55 PM

781 posts, read 816,216 times
Thanks for all of your input. I think since I live in the south I will hold off on the jeans and add a couple more hoodies around the end of October. She has about 4 hoodies now but she does wear them alot when it is a little cooler. Next yr should hit us so hard. She won't need the band instrument or the big down payment on braces.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:05 PM

4,194 posts, read 4,939,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
At work, you can wear anything from business casual to something more formal whatever is required.
That would be incorrect. I have accountant and investment banker friends who are required to wear suits every single day. That includes hosiery for women if you chose a skirt suit.

When I worked at the radio station you could were anything above sweatpants. I wore flip flops every day.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:07 PM

10,119 posts, read 11,404,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
They've been permitted at all the schools I have ever gone to.
As long as your buttcrack isn't showing they don't measure how far your pants are up on your waist.
And I hate shoes, I have tennis shoes for when I work out, boots for my uniform and the rest of the time I am in flip flops.
Flip flops are unsafe for school. Kids have to walk in crowded schools, and cover lots of ground in order to make to class without being tardy.

You are correct that nobody measures how far your pants are up your waist, however it is common for school dress codes to require that your underwear be COMPLETELY covered by your pants, while standing AND while sitting. I strictly enforce dress codes in my classes when I am teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting