Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 08:39 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Oh please, it's common knowledge.
No it's not, because unless you actually sit there every day with them you don't know what it going on.For all we know once the cameras are off jim bob strips naked and greases himself down in canola oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 06:47 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
No it's not, because unless you actually sit there every day with them you don't know what it going on.For all we know once the cameras are off jim bob strips naked and greases himself down in canola oil.

Yeah I guess he uses canola oil instead of olive oil. Its much cheaper. I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay to see him naked LOL

Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Actually, "blanket training" is recommended by pediatricians to regular folk too It teaches babies boundaries and also helps their attention span. The "command game" is also a good teaching tool for young children. In the Duggars case, they probably don't have to worry much about the mob, or pedophiles, or even wife beaters because their children seem to be always supervised and with trusted immediate family.

The "modest dress" IMO is not meant to confine the women or to stamp out individuality. IMO it is just that, modest dress, having respect for your self and your body, not making your self an object, a mere display of T&A for people to ogle at. I don't think those girls dress weirdly modest. They were clothes that most girls their age would wear. They were their hair how most girls their age would.

It's a sad world we live in when people are judged so harshly for being decent It wasn't that long ago that decent was the norm and having all your bittles hanging out was looked down on. It wasn't that long ago that having decent well behaved, moral children was just the expectation, not a side show to be picked apart. What a difference a few decades make

Great post, seems like these days though that decency and morals have become a thing of the past, very sad.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:29 PM

247 posts, read 688,366 times
In one of the episodes where Josie was still in the hospital, a couple of the Duggar girls talked about being interested in nursing. Recently, another one of the girls said she thought she might like to be a teacher. Both of those careers require a college education. They also explained how they have been encouraged to explore different careers and that their parents have been supportive of them furthering their educations.

I think some people claiming that the girls are "just supposed to have babies" while the boys work, don't even watch the show.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Then what happens when one gets married at 20 and gets pregnant 2 months later? bye bye career...

Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 AM

247 posts, read 688,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Then what happens when one gets married at 20 and gets pregnant 2 months later? bye bye career...
So what? I'm a certified teacher who is taking some time off from my career to raise children.

And if all the girls want to do is get married and become mothers, then who cares? What is so wrong with that? Good for them. I don't understand how having a career and letting your children be raised by a daycare or babysitter is preferable to putting your career on hold to raise your own children.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
In one of the episodes where Josie was still in the hospital, a couple of the Duggar girls talked about being interested in nursing. Recently, another one of the girls said she thought she might like to be a teacher. Both of those careers require a college education. They also explained how they have been encouraged to explore different careers and that their parents have been supportive of them furthering their educations.

I think some people claiming that the girls are "just supposed to have babies" while the boys work, don't even watch the show.

Perhaps but both are 19 and 20 respectively so you would think they would rather get to that then babysitting. Maybe their parents have said we support you....but often then also put a major emphasis on childbearing and motherhood. These 2 conflicting things can make it impossible for the girls to feel they can really do anything besides pop out kids.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
So what? I'm a certified teacher who is taking some time off from my career to raise children.

And if all the girls want to do is get married and become mothers, then who cares? What is so wrong with that? Good for them. I don't understand how having a career and letting your children be raised by a daycare or babysitter is preferable to putting your career on hold to raise your own children.

I don't think that is being said...the problem lies in when they are seemed to be told the only thing they should ever do is be mothers.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:05 PM

422 posts, read 649,130 times
I don't think anyone is telling them that they can only be wives and mothers. Although it's a pathetic sign of the times when people act like thats a waste of a life. We were better off as a nation when a bunch of paid strangers weren't raising our children. It's no different than parents who put Harvard onesies or cowboys diapers on their infants. ALL parents have expectations no matter how open they claim to be. It is your JOB as a parent to instill YOUR values and beliefs into your children whether you do it or not. Would a muslim raise their child to practice catholicism ? Sounds retarded yes ? Because it is. If you believe in the bible then it makes sense that you will raise your children the same way. Otherwise you are a hypocrite. I think many people are jealous deep down bcause no one taught them to have high standards and respect themselves on this level. Or they don't have the guts to set the bar high for their own children. Its easier to pawn them off on nannies, daycare, public schools and the internet to raise. I feel so sorry for these girls. No excess makeup and slutty clothes, no spending hours texting while they ignore their family. When will they have the chance to be run through by a few guys and get an abortion or two before settling down ? Man they are missing out. They could have gotten herpes or had a cell phone pic of their boobs on the internet forever. These parents should be shot. This wholesome, traditional family unit crap is what ruined this country in the first place.

Last edited by Purple_Princess; 10-01-2010 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-01-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
I don't think anyone is telling them that they can only be wives and mothers. Although it's a pathetic sign of the times when people act like thats a waste of a life. We were better off as a nation when a bunch of paid strangers weren't raising our children. It's no different than parents who put Harvard onesies or cowboys diapers on their infants. ALL parents have expectations no matter how open they claim to be. It is your JOB as a parent to instill YOUR values and beliefs into your children whether you do it or not. Would a muslim raise their child to practice catholicism ? Sounds retarded yes ? Because it is. If you believe in the bible then it makes sense that you will raise your children the same way. Otherwise you are a hypocrite. I think many people are jealous deep down bcause no one taught them to have high standards and respect themselves on this level. Or they don't have the guts to set the bar high for their own children. Its easier to pawn them off on nannies, daycare, public schools and the internet to raise. I feel so sorry for these girls. No excess makeup and slutty clothes, no spending hours texting while they ignore their family. When will they have the chance to be run through by a few guys and get an abortion or two before settling down ? Man they are missing out. They could have gotten herpes or had a cell phone pic of their boobs on the internet forever. These parents should be shot. This wholesome, traditional family unit crap is what ruined this country in the first place.

*rolls eyes*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting