Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 09:28 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post

So they are to be mocked because they went to a creationism museum, you do know there are alot of people that believe in creationism instead of believing that we come from monkeys.

Well it's pretty silly if you ask me, but i think the issue is these kids are only given one point of view. If you believe in it after hearing both sides fine....but they have admitted on the show they don't teach beyond the basic concept people believe in evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 09:47 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

Homeschooling has and always will be a huge waste IMO.
I firmly believe you cannot get a good and thorough education from someone who probably only has a high school diploma, if even that.

Homeschooling is not school.
Its your parents teaching you to the best of their abilities and hoping it all turns out all right.

Eh and school is nothing more then teachers reading from a preplanned curriculum either....a monkey could do the job. This is the same thing that your mother at home would have taught you as well. I was schooled at home until high school....and i went into there better prepared then most of my peers. And have often through life found that generally that was the case. Perhaps you should deeply look into it txt without just making across the board assumptions.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:52 AM

13,418 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We were taught in biology that humans evolved from apes. We were never told that there were two separate lineages. Most people I talk to were taught the same as I was taught, in American public schools.
I don't want to derail this thread into an argument regarding evolution, but it is a very interesting subject and many people have been mislead (taught in school, or by some other means) into simply thinking that the theory of human evolution means people came about by some direct line between apes or monkeys as we know them today and ourselves. That's not what Darwin was saying. It's more of a branching off at some point, from a common ancestor, that was presumed to be ape-like, not a direct linear connection between humans and modern day apes.

If you would like to learn more, here's a down to earth explanation from the PBS website:

Evolution: Frequently Asked Questions

A snippet
Quote:
First of all, humans did not evolve from any of the species we know as apes today. At some point 5 to 8 million years ago, the common ancestor of humans and modern apes diverged to form the two separate lineages we know today.
It's not fair to state that if you don't believe in creationalism then therefore you believe that 'we came from monkeys'.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
If they are left ignorant, how can they? They have barely any friends outside of their family,go on chaperoned dates, have very limited access to outside media,and are given only one view of things which is only something that corresponds to a biblical passage. And do you know the kids are trully happy? No children don't need 100 percent free choice, but their parents had a normal childhood before deciding on their ultra religious views, they should give their children the same choice no? And it's even worse now because the bubble these children had has been smashed.....they know and see the way other people live. But if they are unprepared for this world as the girls seem to be....how can they ever leave?
Do I see some unfair issues w/ how the girls have been raised? Yes.
But do I also see girls who show a sincere love & appreciation for their family? Yes.

We could all go on about this family & again, this is EXACTLY why they have a succesful tv show.

I see more value out of examining a family like the Duggars then the other hot mess, Kate Gosselin.

I mean we are talking an edited, made for ratings tv shows. All families know exactly what they are doing as they laugh their way to the bank.

Point is, IMO (and that is all that it is), I see far more greater value in the Duggars and their ability to hold firm to beliefs. I feel the moral compass of this society has been bashed away by social media & that has done far more damage than good to our youth. Family like the Duggars show that not all is ill in this society. Again, just my opinion, not true & only fact.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:25 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I don't agree with homeschooling, how in the world can you get a good enough education sitting at a kitchen table.
You're either trolling or you only read the threads that have your name on them, because this has been rehashed a million times on CD.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Sometimes, but often if the children tend to cut off ties as they get older. My aunt is a baptist and her daughters have nothing to do with her.
Of course, I don't know your aunt or cousins, but being a Baptist may or may not be irrelevant to the poor relationship they have with each other. Baptist not not equate with Quiverfull movement, Duggars, or similar lifestyles. There are many "flavors" of Baptists. Billy Graham is Baptist. Not too many people (Christian or pagan) consider him a nutjob.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:47 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Sure they look happy! They don't know any different. There is no such thing as having a choice in that house it seems.
I know the family very well and they are happy.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Yes, I know many families like that in Utah. As long as a you go with the flow, no problems. But then again, why is Utah leading the nation in taking anti-depressants?

Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You can't compare that to the Duggars, though. We know what curriculum they use, and that includes all the normal subjects. The girls are learning just as much as the boys.

I can vouch for the fact that Jim Bob and Michelle equally educate their children. My husband is Jim Bob's cousin and we see them frequently.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
I don't think anyone is telling them that they can only be wives and mothers. Although it's a pathetic sign of the times when people act like thats a waste of a life. We were better off as a nation when a bunch of paid strangers weren't raising our children. It's no different than parents who put Harvard onesies or cowboys diapers on their infants. ALL parents have expectations no matter how open they claim to be. It is your JOB as a parent to instill YOUR values and beliefs into your children whether you do it or not. Would a muslim raise their child to practice catholicism ? Sounds retarded yes ? Because it is. If you believe in the bible then it makes sense that you will raise your children the same way. Otherwise you are a hypocrite. I think many people are jealous deep down bcause no one taught them to have high standards and respect themselves on this level. Or they don't have the guts to set the bar high for their own children. Its easier to pawn them off on nannies, daycare, public schools and the internet to raise. I feel so sorry for these girls. No excess makeup and slutty clothes, no spending hours texting while they ignore their family. When will they have the chance to be run through by a few guys and get an abortion or two before settling down ? Man they are missing out. They could have gotten herpes or had a cell phone pic of their boobs on the internet forever. These parents should be shot. This wholesome, traditional family unit crap is what ruined this country in the first place.
really good post purple princess- i totally agree with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting