U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-12-2010, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,271 posts, read 4,990,096 times
Reputation: 3861

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
It's not, but it is ridiculous to believe women should be allowed to be nothing but mothers also.
If you watch the more recent episodes, the older girls are thinking about careers. They know the have options, no matter what other people like to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2010, 06:47 AM
 
2,060 posts, read 4,914,798 times
Reputation: 1652
Even parents of twins get discounts, all the major baby stores give you a discount when buying two of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Canada
3,432 posts, read 3,273,693 times
Reputation: 2186
Is she pregnant again or is her DIL pregnant. I saw a previous on TLC and the duggar woman announced that someone was expecting. Maybe its Jimbob????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 08:45 AM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 5,681,014 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
If you watch the more recent episodes, the older girls are thinking about careers. They know the have options, no matter what other people like to say.
I have but i have also read they feel trapped too so who is to say. I know often ultra religious families like this will push the idea of their girls having careers onto the backburner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 10:04 AM
 
2,605 posts, read 3,941,043 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I have but i have also read they feel trapped too so who is to say. I know often ultra religious families like this will push the idea of their girls having careers onto the backburner.
I know a family who is very, VERY religious and they homeschooled their 4 boys and daughter up to high school.

The boys learned math, history, science, all sorts of stuff. The daughter learned how to cook and bake bread. The mother insisted she could do whatever she wanted to do with her life, but she needed to know how to be a good wife and mother first.

The oldest boy is now in the Navy. The younger boys are very into math. The daughter knows how to bake one mean loaf of bread.

They are the only religious homeschoolers I had ever known. All others have not been religious at all and the girls have gone or are going into things like politics, medicine, teaching, business, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,271 posts, read 4,990,096 times
Reputation: 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I know a family who is very, VERY religious and they homeschooled their 4 boys and daughter up to high school.

The boys learned math, history, science, all sorts of stuff. The daughter learned how to cook and bake bread. The mother insisted she could do whatever she wanted to do with her life, but she needed to know how to be a good wife and mother first.

The oldest boy is now in the Navy. The younger boys are very into math. The daughter knows how to bake one mean loaf of bread.

They are the only religious homeschoolers I had ever known. All others have not been religious at all and the girls have gone or are going into things like politics, medicine, teaching, business, etc..
You can't compare that to the Duggars, though. We know what curriculum they use, and that includes all the normal subjects. The girls are learning just as much as the boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 5,681,014 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You can't compare that to the Duggars, though. We know what curriculum they use, and that includes all the normal subjects. The girls are learning just as much as the boys.

We don't know really because we aren't there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 08:34 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 5,681,014 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I know a family who is very, VERY religious and they homeschooled their 4 boys and daughter up to high school.

The boys learned math, history, science, all sorts of stuff. The daughter learned how to cook and bake bread. The mother insisted she could do whatever she wanted to do with her life, but she needed to know how to be a good wife and mother first.

The oldest boy is now in the Navy. The younger boys are very into math. The daughter knows how to bake one mean loaf of bread.

They are the only religious homeschoolers I had ever known. All others have not been religious at all and the girls have gone or are going into things like politics, medicine, teaching, business, etc..
poor girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 08:52 PM
 
664 posts, read 1,714,443 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Sure they look happy! They don't know any different. There is no such thing as having a choice in that house it seems.
I agree. All the girls in the house are expected to marry and have childern. They are never encouraged to go to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,271 posts, read 4,990,096 times
Reputation: 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
We don't know really because we aren't there.
Oh please, it's common knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top